PDA

View Full Version : US troops killed by friendly fire

Silentkilla01
06-10-2014, 01:28 PM
5 U.S. troops killed by friendly fire
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/10/world/asia/afghanistan-isaf-deaths/index.html

jet3534
06-10-2014, 02:26 PM
I have a son serving in Afghanistan (101st Airborne) and therefore I hope they (Army) notify impacted family members before the media puts out articles like this one on soldiers getting killed. I assume they do -- but would not be surprised if this was not the case.

Silentkilla01
06-10-2014, 02:31 PM
I have a son serving in Afghanistan (101st Airborne) and therefore I hope they (Army) notify impacted family members before the media puts out articles like this one on soldiers getting killed. I assume they do -- but would not be surprised if this was not the case.

I hope so to. Because if I had a son over in that shit hole. That is not the way I want to find out something happened to him. How is your son if you don't mind me asking? And next time you talk to him tell him we are all proud of out boys over there and hope the get home safe and sound and soon! I know what he is going through I spent almost my whole marine career over there. 4 years as a matter a fact.

imanaknut
06-10-2014, 03:29 PM
If the reports I hear are true, those who are calling for the retiring of the A10 need to be taken out back and executed immediately. From the reports I have seen the troops called for close air support (CAS), and what they got was a B1 strike! Granted the original B1 was designed as a do-all aircraft, with the swing wings giving it loiter ability when extended, and high speed strike when folded back, but you still can't beat an A10 for true CAS!!!

1 Patriot-of-many
06-10-2014, 04:12 PM
:( I read helo at the link provided. Interesting link at the bottom of the story about using lasers to ID friend or foe.

Richard Simmons
06-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Article in the original post says it was a "coalition jet" nothing about it being a B1 and if was ours won't it say a U.S. jet/aircraft. As noted we accidently killed some Canadians and IIRC during the first gulf war we took out at least one of our own tanks by mistake. It happens.

imanaknut
06-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Like anything else in the news these days, it is better to ignore the first few reports which post what turns out to be either lies or just stuff to fill the column. What starts as one type of aircraft morphs to another a few hours later, morphing again a bit later until finally we get the truth. Maybe.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/10/nato-says-5-service-members-killed-in-afghanistan-attack/?intcmp=HPBucket

A senior U.S. defense official told Fox News early Tuesday that the troops were killed when they requested air support from a B-1 bomber after coming in contact with enemy forces.

imanaknut
06-10-2014, 05:36 PM
NBC TV just reporting it was a strike from a B1.

jet3534
06-10-2014, 05:45 PM
I hope so to. Because if I had a son over in that shit hole. That is not the way I want to find out something happened to him. How is your son if you don't mind me asking? And next time you talk to him tell him we are all proud of out boys over there and hope the get home safe and sound and soon! I know what he is going through I spent almost my whole marine career over there. 4 years as a matter a fact.

Thanks for asking. The first time my son deployed to Iraq (he spent 3 years there) it was early in the war and people cared. Now generally speaking it seems people don't seem very concerned about our soldiers. He hasn't said much about Afghanistan other than his FOB has been attacked by rockets. Thanks for your service to our country.

Richard Simmons
06-10-2014, 05:47 PM
NBC TV just reporting it was a strike from a B1.

Yeah, just saw that on Fox News. They said it was a US B1 bomber. When I first read about it this morning they didn't identify them as US Spec Ops jut that they were Special Operations troops and coalition aircraft. I know other nations have special operations troops there like the British SBS and SAS but figured it was our guys.

Silentkilla01
06-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks for asking. The first time my son deployed to Iraq (he spent 3 years there) it was early in the war and people cared. Now generally speaking it seems people don't seem very concerned about our soldiers. He hasn't said much about Afghanistan other than his FOB has been attacked by rockets. Thanks for your service to our country.

SEMPER FI

1 Patriot-of-many
06-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Article in the original post says it was a "coalition jet" nothing about it being a B1 and if was ours won't it say a U.S. jet/aircraft. As noted we accidently killed some Canadians and IIRC during the first gulf war we took out at least one of our own tanks by mistake. It happens.my bad, how I got the british helo incident mixed up with the current one I don't know.

Aggressive Perfector
06-10-2014, 11:41 PM
RIP. :(

l921428x
06-11-2014, 12:10 AM

goes for me too