PDA

View Full Version : CC folks - when would you draw down? (situations)

gunsnetadmin
09-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Mods.. lol..sorry if I put this in the wrong forum.. move it please if needed.

I CC, so I'd like to know what you guys would do if you CC in these situations. I know what I would do but I'll see what other folks would. I havent been in any of these situations but sometimes I think of situations to see how I would react.

1. Walking to your vehicle in a parking lot, dudes in a car tell you something. You're a ways from your car and they stop because you told them to "fuck off". You said that because they keep following you. Draw down or hint at a weapon or ?

2. Take the wrong turn walkin down a street, two dudes, no weapons drawn on their end but they tell you something and they're looking to kick your ass.

..if anyone has more situation type questions, please post. I'd like to know also. I know the rule is the criminal has to be threatening your life with a weapon for you to draw. What if you feel your life is in danger with multiple criminals coming at you?

Dr. Gonzo GED
09-28-2010, 08:43 PM
That's easy:

Insulted my woman by "looking" at her? DRAW DOWN!

Makes me feel insecure? DRAW DOWN!

See something that needs more holes? DRAW DOWN!

Bitches don't "recognize"? DRAW DOWN!

See a pair of kicks on somebody and I want them? DRAW DOWN!

Want to feel like a big man? DRAW DOWN!

Need money? DRAW DOWN!

Ordering Sushi and you don't want to pay? DRAW DOWN!

Dumb-o-crat in the white house? j/k... ;p

gunsnetadmin
09-28-2010, 08:45 PM
yea, I was looking for serious answers. But I have been known to take pot shots at Cowboys fans.. jk... LOL!

Dr. Gonzo GED
09-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Cowboys fans?!!?! DRAW DOWN!

Sorry man. I don't cc, but I do carry knives. Never had to use one thanksfully.

The general consensus, and most laws agree, is that you must feel your you are indanger of serious injury or loss of life. The two guy wanting to "kick your ass" counts, as two men are perfectly capable of killing a person even if they are unarmed. I've seen it myself in person actually.

Your best bet is to look up your local self defense laws. They will give you an idea of the "envelope" in which deadly force or the threat thereof is apropriate. It wouldn;t hurt to talk to local lawyers, cops, or the DA to get an even better feel for what is in store should you be forced to defend yourself. Remember, you will probably lose your weapon as evidence, and spend a bit of time in a cell when the cops come around even if it was justified. So make sure it is absolutely worth it! (The other most important rule of thumb is "don't pull it unless you're going to use it". So if it isn't worth shooting someone over, it isn't worth pulling your weapon. (Personally, I would shoot a mugger, probably in the dick so no prosecuter tries to say I intended to kill...)

Good luck, and shoot safe!

AKTexas
09-28-2010, 09:11 PM

I CC, so I'd like to know what you guys would do if you CC in these situations. I know what I would do but I'll see what other folks would. I havent been in any of these situations but sometimes I think of situations to see how I would react.

1. Walking to your vehicle in a parking lot, dudes in a car tell you something. You're a ways from your car and they stop because you told them to "fuck off". You said that because they keep following you. Draw down or hint at a weapon or ?

2. Take the wrong turn walkin down a street, two dudes, no weapons drawn on their end but they tell you something and they're looking to kick your ass.

..if anyone has more situation type questions, please post. I'd like to know also. I know the rule is the criminal has to be threatening your life with a weapon for you to draw. What if you feel your life is in danger with multiple criminals coming at you?

1)There is nothing wrong with ignoring retards.Hinting you are armed is menacing,remember what "Concealed" means.

2)Depends on what was said,BG says, "I'm gonna rape you!" I would feel threatened.

gunsnetadmin
09-28-2010, 09:14 PM
1)There is nothing wrong with ignoring retards.Hinting you are armed is menacing,remember what "Concealed" means.

So you would hint at saying you're carrying while telling them to "back off!" ?

AKTexas
09-28-2010, 09:19 PM
So you would hint at saying you're carrying while telling them to "back off!" ?

I would not say anything,I would not hint at anything.If some jack ass said something to me that would only hurt my feelings,then I do not give a damn and I'd keep walking.If the same jackass followed me and made threats,then that is something completely different.

Dumb idea to warn someone that you are armed,you might as well draw your weapon and point it at them with full intent to stop the treat.

gunsnetadmin
09-28-2010, 09:29 PM
I would not say anything,I would not hint at anything.If some jack ass said something to me that would only hurt my feelings,then I do not give a damn and I'd keep walking.If the same jackass followed me and made threats,then that is something completely different.

Dumb idea to warn someone that you are armed,you might as well draw your weapon and point it at them with full intent to stop the treat.

ok...good answers. thanks for the reply!

mriddick
09-28-2010, 09:37 PM
You use your CCW when in fear of your life, I don't see those as meeting the requirements, The way it's written I would almost believe in some of those instances you're the aggressor which doesn't bode well in court.

DesertDawg
09-28-2010, 10:01 PM
I OC ( open carry) and just a bit of info..sometimes you dont get a chance to draw before the rounds start flying towards you. even a crappy .38 revolver will cause you to have a bad day.

Arnulf
09-28-2010, 10:18 PM
:pray::mouse2:

Warthogg
09-28-2010, 10:24 PM
This is one of those no shit deals.

Three weeks ago my three dogs started big woofing about 9:00PM. Switched the TV over to a couple of surveillance cams I have and there was this strange guy in my yard !! Only had on a pair of shorts and some kind of shoes. Grabbed my pistol - Glock 22 - headed out guy..............never even turned around until I screamed "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE !!"

Guy was looking through my fence at neighbor who has 7 year old daughter. He had to tear himself away from peeping even after I screamed. When I was out my Chow Chow - Jessie Jane - jumped the fence and closed with the guy. He was totally unafraid. Started coming toward me from maybe 25 feet...I flipped on the laser, put it on his mid section (NO my hand was NOT steady worth a shit !) and screamed he should come no closer....almost shot him then...dude finally stops.

He screams some kind of threat that I could not understand heads out toward street. I move from backyard and follow.. Guy turns arouind again and again I put the laser on him.......almost shot him again but he turns moves on. Move into the street....neighbor sticks head out and I scream "Call 911"..........guy is maybe 50 feet down the street now but turns and starts screaming as he is coming toward me again. Uncounsciously I had marked the point - neighbors drive way - where I was going to shoot but he stopped just short, turned and headed on up the street.

Seems as if cops were there in about 2 minutes....cop screaches up and screams "WHICH WAY DID HE GO ??" .....I don't think I even said anything but pointed in the direction dude had gone. Cop was gone in a flash.......stooped way up the street maybe 3 minutes later I see him come out with guy handcuffed. Another cop now at my house. Cop brings dude back to my house. Cops arrest his sorry ass.

Street cops get A fucking +. There quickly, knew their patrol area...knew this piece of shit was the guy when they got the call.

Couple of days later detectives - four - come to house. Two got my video to take for evidence (Dude had lied to cops of course but he did not know there was video...LOL !!) and I talked with the othertwo.. My 3 dogs all had picture taken !! Quick summary of dude:

Had been arrested for attacking a 9 yr old girl
Had been arrested for chasing a 13 year old girl in public library.
Had just gotten out of jail on bail for BEATING HIS OWN SISTER !!
Bond revoked for this deal
Gets ready to get out again and cops whack him with this charge
AND THEN
Maybe two days ago he is further charged with attempting to hire someone to kill the arresting officer !! (He had threatened police before.)

Detectives get a solid A.

This was the first time in my life I have ever pointed a weapon at another human. My mind went to mush. I would have thought this guy was about 30....he was forty-eight. I did manage to keep laser on center mass - most of the time. Did not keep trigger finger outside trigger guard. Did not crap or piss my pants...lol !! Did not shoot the guy. No one in neighborhood was harmed and dude arrested and in jail.

Warthogg.......solid B. (Wart was not nearly as cool as Wart had presumed.........but strangely enough was never afraid.)

deth502
09-28-2010, 10:24 PM
ive never drawn my weapon, but i would not draw it unless i intended to fire.

i dont carry to threaten or warn, i carry to defend myself.

surely, the law, lawyers, and the courts would not look kindly on my philosophy, but if i feel the need to draw, i dont intend to point and ask someone to stop, plenty of time to do that before i draw. i dont intend to draw my weapon without using it.

AKTexas
09-28-2010, 10:27 PM
I OC ( open carry) and just a bit of info..sometimes you dont get a chance to draw before the rounds start flying towards you. even a crappy .38 revolver will cause you to have a bad day.

Glad you are still with us.

Warthogg
09-28-2010, 10:34 PM
This is one of those no shit deals.

Three weeks ago my three dogs started big woofing about 9:00PM. Switched the TV over to a couple of surveillance cams I have and there was this strange guy in my yard !! Only had on a pair of shorts and some kind of shoes. Grabbed my pistol - Glock 22 - headed out guy..............never even turned around until I screamed "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE !!"

Guy was looking through my fence at neighbor who has 7 year old daughter. He had to tear himself away from peeping even after I screamed. When I was out my Chow Chow - Jessie Jane - jumped the fence and closed with the guy. He was totally unafraid. Started coming toward me from maybe 25 feet...I flipped on the laser, put it on his mid section (NO my hand was NOT steady worth a shit !) and screamed he should come no closer....almost shot him then...dude finally stops.

He screams some kind of threat that I could not understand heads out toward street. I move from backyard and follow.. Guy turns arouind again and again I put the laser on him.......almost shot him again but he turns moves on. Move into the street....neighbor sticks head out and I scream "Call 911"..........guy is maybe 50 feet down the street now but turns and starts screaming as he is coming toward me again. Uncounsciously I had marked the point - neighbors drive way - where I was going to shoot but he stopped just short, turned and headed on up the street.

Seems as if cops were there in about 2 minutes....cop screaches up and screams "WHICH WAY DID HE GO ??" .....I don't think I even said anything but pointed in the direction dude had gone. Cop was gone in a flash.......stooped way up the street maybe 3 minutes later I see him come out with guy handcuffed. Another cop now at my house. Cop brings dude back to my house. Cops arrest his sorry ass.

Street cops get A fucking +. There quickly, knew their patrol area...knew this piece of shit was the guy when they got the call.

Couple of days later detectives - four - come to house. Two got my video to take for evidence (Dude had lied to cops of course but he did not know there was video...LOL !!) and I talked with the othertwo.. My 3 dogs all had picture taken !! Quick summary of dude:

Had been arrested for attacking a 9 yr old girl
Had been arrested for chasing a 13 year old girl in public library.
Had just gotten out of jail on bail for BEATING HIS OWN SISTER !!
Bond revoked for this deal
Gets ready to get out again and cops whack him with this charge
AND THEN
Maybe two days ago he is further charged with attempting to hire someone to kill the arresting officer !! (He had threatened police before.)

Detectives get a solid A.

This was the first time in my life I have ever pointed a weapon at another human. My mind went to mush. I would have thought this guy was about 30....he was forty-eight. I did manage to keep laser on center mass - most of the time. Did not keep trigger finger outside trigger guard. Did not crap or piss my pants...lol !! Did not shoot the guy. No one in neighborhood was harmed and dude arrested and in jail.

Warthogg.......solid B. (Wart was not nearly as cool as Wart had presumed.........but strangely enough was never afraid.)

Detectives gave me this site:

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/siteInfoAction.do?siteId=37000

I believe nationwide.

You can check and see if perp is still in custody as well as register to be notfied by email and/or phone when perp is going to be released.

Warthogg
09-28-2010, 10:38 PM

surely, the law, lawyers, and the courts would not look kindly on my philosophy, but if i feel the need to draw, i dont intend to point and ask someone to stop, plenty of time to do that before i draw. i dont intend to draw my weapon without using it.

i would not draw it unless i intended to fire.

I said the same thing many times. Perhaps you would be cooler than I was able to be.

(In Oklahoma - where I live - you can shoot to protect property or if you feel threatened.)

Arnulf
09-28-2010, 10:40 PM

What if the guy gets on his knees and begs you not to shoot him......"too late mutha fucker...I done drawed my gun"

:ashooteremoyt7:

FunkyPertwee
09-28-2010, 10:49 PM
You probably shouldn't tell people to "fuck off" if your carrying. Pretend everyone is carrying. Then act like Martin Luther King, or Mahatma Ghandi. Not John Wayne.

deth502
09-28-2010, 10:52 PM
I said the same thing many times. Perhaps you would be cooler than I was able to be.

(In Oklahoma - where I live - you can shoot to protect property or if you feel threatened.)

i would think i would have gone out without drawing and ready for a fight. i cant say for sure, as there are surely a lot of other variables that happened in your situatiion. ie, weather the guy looked drunk, stoned, ect.. but id like to think that i ouldnt have drawn unless i saw, or thought i saw, him pulling sometihng out. (gun, knife, club, ect...)

What if the guy gets on his knees and begs you not to shoot him......"too late mutha fucker...I done drawed my gun"

:lool: i can imagine that, but thats not the kind of situation i was thinking of. im thinking something happens, and i see someone pulling out a gun. at that point, im drawing and firing, i dont intnd on giving him time to point the muzzle in my direction, let alone ask for mercy.

Kadmos
09-28-2010, 11:02 PM

Absolutely not the time to pull a gun. If they haven't left the car, aimed the car at you, pulled a weapon or said they were going to kill or hurt you...then no, you shouldn't have a gun out.

You almost certainly would be seen as the aggressor in that case.

BTW Never ever curse in this kind of situation.

Expect on the arrest report for a witness to claim you yelled "Fuck you... I'm going to kill you" and then pulled a gun.

Seriously, if you are carrying a gun you should be able to handle all situations without using profanity. Not to be rude, but if you aren't adult enough to do that, than you probably shouldn't carry.

Nor should you threaten someone with a gun, except in defense of someone else's life...if you see someone attacking someone else it is probably ok to use the threat while pulling.

But if it's your life you shouldn't have pulled unless you were sure it was pretty much time to shoot. Generally though, juries will look kindly on someone who did in fact give a warning "STOP!!! I have a gun, don't make me shoot!"

In situation number 2 you should have backed out of the alley quickly, if they are chasing you then you need to decide when to turn and make your stand. Hopefully by then you will have witnesses, and the situation will look more like you were being chased, you stopped, turned, pulled a gun and yelled "STOP!"

Warnings are a really tricky subject, you want to be so in the clear that you wouldn't need one.

And a misheard warning often takes on the sound of a threat in a witnesses eyes.

But the fact is warnings tend to work...when the gun comes out, most people decide to settle down and act right.

Arnulf
09-28-2010, 11:09 PM
i would think i would have gone out without drawing and ready for a fight. i cant say for sure, as there are surely a lot of other variables that happened in your situatiion. ie, weather the guy looked drunk, stoned, ect.. but id like to think that i ouldnt have drawn unless i saw, or thought i saw, him pulling sometihng out. (gun, knife, club, ect...)

:lool: i can imagine that, but thats not the kind of situation i was thinking of. im thinking something happens, and i see someone pulling out a gun. at that point, im drawing and firing, i dont intnd on giving him time to point the muzzle in my direction, let alone ask for mercy.

Mercy is for the weak...blast that sucka........Yeah I hear ya.....in that kinda situation its kill or be killed.

slamfire51
09-28-2010, 11:13 PM
The only time I would let on that I was carrying is when I feel my life is in jeopardy.
Not until then. No showing a weapon until I decide I'm in imminent danger. Then I will fire the weapon to stop the threat.

Oswald Bastable
09-28-2010, 11:34 PM
The rule of thumb is that you should never draw a weapon unless you intend to use it (concealed or otherwise is immaterial). If you don't have to use it after drawing, count yourself fortunate.

Blacksmith
09-29-2010, 12:16 AM
In AZ if you pull your weapon than you must fire or you will be arrested for brandishing.
It is also illegal to fire “warning shots” you must shoot to kill.
I don’t cause situations (flipping the bird or drawing any unwanted attention) I simply mind my own business.
As for showing somebody your weapon? that is a bad idea. and it may very well be your last mistake.
If you find yourself in a situation that you feel your life is in danger, neutralize the situation. It is better to be Judged by 12 than carried by 6.

crapshoot
09-29-2010, 12:32 AM

I don't think pulling in either one of these situations is a good idea. Carrying a weapon is not a "get out of an ass kicking free" card. It's a save me or my family from getting killed card.

Ass beatings happen to some people sometimes. If your going to pull a weapon, you better damn well use it.

Only reason to ever pull a weapon on someone and not blow them to hell is is your in an offensive position. Like a stupid ex-husband wife beater that happens to walk into the same bathroom as you in a bar and needs to be reminded not to stalk his ex-wife anymore and that instead of playing dungeons and dragons, you shoot guns and are not afraid to use them.

Oswald Bastable
09-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Only reason to ever pull a weapon on someone and not blow them to hell is is your in an offensive position. Like a stupid ex-husband wife beater that happens to walk into the same bathroom as you in a bar and needs to be reminded not to stalk his ex-wife anymore and that instead of playing dungeons and dragons, you shoot guns and are not afraid to use them.

Something tells me I'd like to hear that story. :D

crapshoot
09-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Seems some guys that think it's cool to hit women aren't as tough as they thought they were when they have a .45 pressed against their temple hard enough to leave a bruise.

And it is actually amusing to see a grown man/pussy piss his pants.

Oswald Bastable
09-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Seems some guys that think it's cool to hit women aren't as tough as they thought they were when they have a .45 pressed against their temple hard enough to leave a bruise.

And it is actually amusing to see a grown man/pussy piss his pants.

Something also tells me that's a pants' pissing I'd have liked to have seen. ;)

TEN-32
09-29-2010, 06:20 AM
They should not know you are armed until its the last thing they know. Don't pull it unless you intend to kill. When you do pull it, use it, and kill. If the "threat" is not a justifiable use of deadly force, you best leave your heater tucked where it is and use your brain and your mouth.

I agree with the above poster who advised that you accord yourself like Ghandi or MLK. An armed society is a polite society.

gunsnetadmin
09-29-2010, 06:31 AM
I don't think pulling in either one of these situations is a good idea. Carrying a weapon is not a "get out of an ass kicking free" card. It's a save me or my family from getting killed card.

Ok, but if you're carrying IWB and get in a fight..there is a chance that your handgun might pop out.. I dont have a strap on mine. Another rule is dont let anyone get your handgun.

I'm a quiet guy in general, dont get into any trouble, steer clear of it...but sometimes I wonder what other folks would do if put in certain situations.

ubersoldate
09-29-2010, 06:35 AM
In AZ if you pull your weapon than you must fire or you will be arrested for brandishing.
It is also illegal to fire “warning shots” you must shoot to kill.
I don’t cause situations (flipping the bird or drawing any unwanted attention) I simply mind my own business.
As for showing somebody your weapon? that is a bad idea. and it may very well be your last mistake.
If you find yourself in a situation that you feel your life is in danger, neutralize the situation. It is better to be Judged by 12 than carried by 6.

This.
Pretty simple actually.

abpt1
09-29-2010, 07:10 AM

exactly. and to add the attacker of my self or someone else would have to be armed with a weapon stick,knife or gun ect before I even thought about using my side arm .

deth502
09-29-2010, 09:51 AM

interesting. as i said in my previous post, if i feel the need to pull it, i fully intend on shooting it, but i would think that, legally, the law would WANT me to try to end the situation without firing, a kind of "escalation of force" thing.

Richard Simmons
09-29-2010, 10:14 AM

In this situation you'd be better served to keep your mouth shut. When you think of these "situations" do you also consider what you would do without a gun? If so do you still tell them to "fuck off"? Probably not so why would you seek to escalate the situation simply because you have a firearm?

If you are closer to the the store or business that you existed than your car why not turn around and go back inside? It's a parking lot, how do you know they are following you to harm you? When I'm looking for a parking spot in a crowded lot I often look for folks walking to their car and sometimes "follow them" in a manner of speaking so I can get their spot. Was the something those dudes tell you "hey man, are you leaving"?

Rehearsing "What If" senarios is fine but failing to consider all of your options isn't in your best interests.

Warthogg
09-29-2010, 10:49 AM
The rule of thumb is that you should never draw a weapon unless you intend to use it

(concealed or otherwise is immaterial).

If you don't have to use it after drawing, count yourself fortunate.

Yup......agree with all.

Kindly note Mr. Bastable allows for the chance to NOT shoot once the weapon is drawn while others here seem to believe that someone must be shot once a weapon is drawn.

I am in agreement with Mr. Bastable's line of thought.

gun papa
09-29-2010, 10:55 AM
As I get older and a bit wiser, I have learned to control my mouth a bit. I have also learned to walk away when the option is available and situation warrants it.

If you escalated every dumb or harsh word, you would be fighting every loser in my town.

My rule of thumb is not to reveal or pull my CCW unless the gun is to BE FIRED. This rule makes pulling a gun decision making easier.

I really don't care about what a person may say about me. I try to teach myself phrases that respond but are non threatening. "I am sorry you feel that way", or " And a good day to you sir" are a couple I use to alter the response from a threatening or challenging response.

deth502
09-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Yup......agree with all.

Kindly note Mr. Bastable allows for the chance to NOT shoot once the weapon is drawn while others here seem to believe that someone must be shot once a weapon is drawn.

I am in agreement with Mr. Bastable's line of thought.

my line of thought is that if he is drawing and does not need to fire, he is drawing too early. in a situation such as that, i would not have drawn yet.

Warthogg
09-29-2010, 11:15 AM
my line of thought is that if he is drawing and does not need to fire, he is drawing too early. in a situation such as that, i would not have drawn yet.

I am sorry to confess this was my thought too until the real world intervened. Guy was coming toward me, I had drawn, and pistol was aimed at him, flipped on the laser and he stopped in his tracks and turned away. There was a valid reason to draw but no valid reason to shoot. (Though I live in Oklahoma and could have shot him and the shoot would have been righteous.)

Our weapons are not samurai swords. Once drawn there is no requiremnt blood must be drawn.

Krupski
09-29-2010, 11:22 AM

...if anyone has more situation type questions, please post. I'd like to know also. I know the rule is the criminal has to be threatening your life with a weapon for you to draw. What if you feel your life is in danger with multiple criminals coming at you?

Only time I ever "used" my carry piece in a defense situation was once I stopped at a light in a bad neighborhood. One skinny dude who was bouncy (like he was speeding) comes up to my car and asks "whatchu need man?" (meaning did I want to buy any drugs).

I said "Not me, ask the next car". He stayed there and a second guy came running up. The first guy said "you need sumthin" and I got the impression he meant "you buy something from me or just give me some money or you'll be sorry".

I had my 1911 in a shoulder holster and reached under my jacket and grabbed the grip of the pistol, but didn't pull it out (my hand stayed under my jacket). I replied "I don't need anything man, ask the next car".

The guy backs away from me with his hands 1/2 way up, bumps into the guy behind him, then keeps backing away and says "you don't have to do me like that man!".

Light changed and I drove off, watching them in the rearview mirror (and hoping bullets were not about to come flying my way).

If, God forbid, it ever comes down to where I actually have to draw on someone and fire, I really have no idea what I'll do. Can I actually drop the hammer on a living human being? I don't know, and I hope I never find out if I can.

slamfire51
09-29-2010, 11:46 AM
If, God forbid, it ever comes down to where I actually have to draw on someone and fire, I really have no idea what I'll do. Can I actually drop the hammer on a living human being? I don't know, and I hope I never find out if I can.

I've thought a lot about just that many times. Got that BS thinking out my head.
The way I looked at it was, if it comes down to pulling the trigger, the hammer WILL fall.
I've been through too much shit in my life to let some sub-human who is broke or taking drugs to do me in.
They know the odds of someone carrying is higher now than ever. If they want to take that risk, it's on them.

FunkyPertwee
09-29-2010, 11:54 AM

You might want to decide on that now.

If you wait a second to think about it when the time comes, you might have that gun stuck up your ass before you come to a conclusion.

Blacksmith
09-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Ok, but if you're carrying IWB and get in a fight..there is a chance that your handgun might pop out.. I dont have a strap on mine. Another rule is dont let anyone get your handgun.

I'm a quiet guy in general, dont get into any trouble, steer clear of it...but sometimes I wonder what other folks would do if put in certain situations.
Why would you put yourself into a situation that you could get into a fight. when you know the end result will be using your weapon? The prosecuting lawyers will be asking many questions. even after you go through any criminal proceeding, you will have to answer to the family and may very well find yourself in court again.
There is a huge responsibility when you start carrying a weapon. It can very well save your life. but it can just as easy, end it.

Blacksmith
09-29-2010, 01:12 PM
interesting. as i said in my previous post, if i feel the need to pull it, i fully intend on shooting it, but i would think that, legally, the law would WANT me to try to end the situation without firing, a kind of "escalation of force" thing.
What?
And have a bunch of people going around pointing there guns and shooting into the air?
The Laws make perfect sense. If you are in fear of loosing your life, shoot.
BTW
AZ may have the most relaxed gun control laws in the union. But if you get out of line with a firearm in this State, you will either wind up in a box or doing hard time.

Arnulf
09-29-2010, 01:56 PM
What?
And have a bunch of people going around pointing there guns and shooting into the air?
The Laws make perfect sense. If you are in fear of loosing your life, shoot.
BTW
AZ may have the most relaxed gun control laws in the union. But if you get out of line with a firearm in this State, you will either wind up in a box or doing hard time.

On new yrs half the people in the country are outside shooting guns in the air. :tommygun:

mriddick
09-29-2010, 02:00 PM
I heard the moon started it...

Moebrown20
09-29-2010, 02:01 PM

Agreed

There is a rule...... If you had a reason to draw, then it's a reason to shoot.

If your (or family) life is in danger, do what you think is best. I will.

Blacksmith
09-29-2010, 02:05 PM
On new yrs half the people in the country are outside shooting guns in the air. :tommygun:
Not too bright out there.
Out here, for the most part. the general IQ level is above the level that most know “What goes up must come down“
But I do recall a story several years back about a little girl that was shot dead in her back yard. by a falling bullet.

Arnulf
09-29-2010, 02:05 PM

Ass beatings happen to some people sometimes. If your going to pull a weapon, you better damn well use it.

BS...you can get just as dead from being beaten to death as being shot by a gun....happens all the time....beside you admitted to brandishing a pistol to scare a guy who was a wife beater.....why didnt you use you fists?

aliceinchains
09-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me. I would run away if i could before drawing my gun.

If i was cornered and felt my life in danger then i would draw. And take it from there.

Mark Ducati
09-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Situation #1... you shouldn't have said F off in the first place.

Situation #2... turn around and walk the other way.

Back in college, walking out of the bar (so I wouldn't have been carrying anyways)... but its 1am, walking my sister out to the car and these black teens across the street going in the other direction start shouting obscenities on what they would like to do to my sister. So we walk a little faster, the car's not that far, just a half block away maybe another 75 yards.... as we speed up, look over our shoulders I see the group (about 10) cross the street and they start following us... they never run, we're not running, but they catch up. Start saying crap, as soon as one puts his arm around my sister, I hauled off and decked the guy... the other 9 jump on me and start stomping...

What was I supposed to do? Anyway, this occured in the parking lot, fortunately another car came in and starting honking their horn and the thugs ran off...

Hindsight, looking over my shoulder seeing them coming, IF I had a CCW, I'd have pulled it out and held low by my side and see what they did... if they continued to advance, then I'd have drawn on them.

Oswald Bastable
09-29-2010, 05:08 PM

Someone is running at you in a threatening manner, no weapon in evidence that you can see. When do you draw, when they're 20 feet from you, 10, 5? And if they immediately run the other way when they see the weapon coming out, before you've lined up a shot, do you then shoot them in the back?

Blacksmith
09-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Someone is running at you in a threatening manner, no weapon in evidence that you can see. When do you draw, when they're 20 feet from you, 10, 5? And if they immediately run the other way when they see the weapon coming out, before you've lined up a shot, do you then shoot them in the back?

You make it sound as if you will have time. If I was in a situation that I have determined my life or somebody else’s is in immediate danger. There would be no time to turn and run, or as mentioned earlier get on knees and beg for life. If there was time for either to happen than you have made a bad decision.
besides the point that if you do hesitate, you’re dead.

Arnulf
09-29-2010, 05:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoS635XbKhE

slamfire51
09-29-2010, 05:29 PM

Only if you want to spend LONG nights with Big Bubba in the Pen.
Shooting someone in the back clearly shows LEOs and a jury the threat was exiting away from you. You are convicted, period.
Just be ready to shoot if he does draw a gun on you. Otherwise just watch the threat.

renegadebuck
09-29-2010, 05:43 PM

Shoot 'em in the leg until they turn around! :D

renegadebuck
09-29-2010, 05:46 PM
They should not know you are armed until its the last thing they know. Don't pull it unless you intend to kill. When you do pull it, use it, and kill. If the "threat" is not a justifiable use of deadly force, you best leave your heater tucked where it is and use your brain and your mouth.

I agree with the above poster who advised that you accord yourself like Ghandi or MLK. An armed society is a polite society.

That's sound advice. If you have to wear an ass whipping, wear it. Only if you think your live is in danger do you show a weapon. If your life was in danger enough to pull, it's still in danger so shoot!

Oswald Bastable
09-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Only if you want to spend LONG nights with Big Bubba in the Pen.
Shooting someone in the back clearly shows LEOs and a jury the threat was exiting away from you. You are convicted, period.
Just be ready to shoot if he does draw a gun on you. Otherwise just watch the threat.

Of course I know you can't shoot them in the back. My question was for someone who'd stated if you drew, you were obligated to shoot...hence my questioning distance at which to draw, and what to do if they see you drawing and do a quick about face.

slamfire51
09-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Of course I know you can't shoot them in the back. My question was for someone who'd stated if you drew, you were obligated to shoot...hence my questioning distance at which to draw, and what to do if they see you drawing and do a quick about face.

Depends on the speed in which they are approaching you. Fast approach requires a draw sooner, etc.
If he does an about face, watch him and scan either side of you for additional threats from his buddies.
When he has withdrawn from the threat zone, reholster your weapon.
You do not HAVE to shoot someone everytime your weapon is drawn.

deth502
09-29-2010, 06:33 PM

as slam said, just wtch the threat. what if hes running past you? what if hes late for an appointment?? i would not feel threatened just because someone was running in my direction, weather or not they "look menacing" and as blacksmith said, in all reality how much time does it take someone to close in running at 20'? a second? less? i dont think, seeing someone come at me full speed from 20', most ppl would actually have time to draw and engage.

deth502
09-29-2010, 06:36 PM
and again, my point was, IF I WAS drawing in that situation, it would be raise the gun and fire. i doubt anyone could turn around that quickly. my point being im not raising the gun to hiim as hes running toward me and asking him to stop. if im taking aim, it is to pull the trigger.

TEN-32
09-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Only time I ever "used" my carry piece in a defense situation was once I stopped at a light in a bad neighborhood. One skinny dude who was bouncy (like he was speeding) comes up to my car and asks "whatchu need man?" (meaning did I want to buy any drugs).

I said "Not me, ask the next car". He stayed there and a second guy came running up. The first guy said "you need sumthin" and I got the impression he meant "you buy something from me or just give me some money or you'll be sorry".

I had my 1911 in a shoulder holster and reached under my jacket and grabbed the grip of the pistol, but didn't pull it out (my hand stayed under my jacket). I replied "I don't need anything man, ask the next car".

The guy backs away from me with his hands 1/2 way up, bumps into the guy behind him, then keeps backing away and says "you don't have to do me like that man!".

Light changed and I drove off, watching them in the rearview mirror (and hoping bullets were not about to come flying my way).

And there will be some fuking kook on an internet forum espousing why what you did was wrong. Regardless of whether you drop the hammer or not.

American Rage
09-29-2010, 06:45 PM

Ummmm, if you shoot to protect property here, you'll be going to prison.

It's Texas where you can defend your property with lethal force, not Oklahoma. If they'd have changed the law, I think I would have heard about it.

Rage

Blacksmith
09-29-2010, 06:54 PM
and again, my point was, IF I WAS drawing in that situation, it would be raise the gun and fire.

Exactly.
The way I see it, if I draw I have already made up my mind that I have no other options available. From the time I pull it to the time the rounds leave the barrel is just a mater of completing what has been set in motion.

LE has a different set of rules and laws they have to abide by. The reason is that they put themselves in harms way. as private citizens we have no right to “go in and get the bad guy” that is unless it is on your own private property. In which case you can brandish or do damn near anything legally. but you will still have to answer for your actions.

gunsnetadmin
09-29-2010, 07:11 PM
I heard the moon started it...

yea, and you see all of those holes right? It aint from comets if you catch my drift. LMAO

slamfire51
09-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Not too bright out there.
Out here, for the most part. the general IQ level is above the level that most know “What goes up must come down“
But I do recall a story several years back about a little girl that was shot dead in her back yard. by a falling bullet.

Mythbusters busted that theory.
Geeeeze, don't you watch informative TV????

Blacksmith
09-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Mythbusters busted that theory.
Geeeeze, don't you watch informative TV????

Not sure if you're joking or not?
There has been several people killed or injured by falling bullets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire

slamfire51
09-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Not sure if you're joking or not?
There has been several people killed or injured by falling bullets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire

I'm not kidding about them busting it.
But then again, how hard do they try?

Blacksmith
09-29-2010, 07:40 PM

LOL
They could have saved themselves the embarrassment by just looking up the massive amount of documented injuries caused by falling bullets.

yankeedog
09-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Dead men tell no tales, so i guarantee before i shot and killed him that he said he was going to kill me and started toward me. And yes he would get two bullets.

Blacksmith
09-29-2010, 08:05 PM

BTW
This is the story I was recalling

.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon%27s_law_(Arizona))

davepool
09-29-2010, 08:56 PM
nevermind

Warthogg
09-30-2010, 11:07 AM
as slam said, just wtch the threat. what if hes running past you? what if hes late for an appointment?? i would not feel threatened just because someone was running in my direction, weather or not they "look menacing" and as blacksmith said, in all reality how much time does it take someone to close in running at 20'? a second? less? i dont think, seeing someone come at me full speed from 20', most ppl would actually have time to draw and engage.

i dont think, seeing someone come at me full speed from 20', most ppl would actually have time to draw and engage

Yup

Massad Ayoob teaches that very thing in police training.

crapshoot
09-30-2010, 11:12 AM
BS...you can get just as dead from being beaten to death as being shot by a gun....happens all the time....beside you admitted to brandishing a pistol to scare a guy who was a wife beater.....why didnt you use you fists?

What if I told you he was a black jew? I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with that would you David Duke?

Warthogg
09-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Ummmm, if you shoot to protect property here, you'll be going to prison.

It's Texas where you can defend your property with lethal force, not Oklahoma. If they'd have changed the law, I think I would have heard about it.

Rage

In the last three weeks I have had two street cops and four detectives - all Oklahoma City - explain Oklahoma law to me. This was a serious briefing as all feared the child molester/general pervert would come after me when he got out of jail.* These guys said:

1) In Oklahoma you can shoot to defend property.

2) You can shoot if 'you' feel threatened.

Wart

*This potential threat has been at least delayed as the molester (from jail) tried to hire someone to kill the young cop who arrested him here at my place. With these new charges, a judge saw fit to raise bail to insure an extended stay in jail.

Warthogg
09-30-2010, 11:18 AM
What if I told you he was a black jew?

But, but ........ Sammy Davis is already dead !!

slamfire51
09-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Here in TN, you can not shoot to protect your property.

Although you can shoot if,
1-You are in fear of your life. (whether in public or in your home)
2-Shoot to protect anyone else from deadly bodily harm. (someone being held up or getting beaten with a weapon, etc.)
3-In the unlikely event zombies have started their brain eating.

The may be other situations that I can't recall at the moment.

Warthogg
09-30-2010, 10:05 PM

Although you can shoot if,
1-You are in fear of your life. (whether in public or in your home)
2-Shoot to protect anyone else from deadly bodily harm. (someone being held up or getting beaten with a weapon, etc.)
3-In the unlikely event zombies have started their brain eating.

The may be other situations that I can't recall at the moment.

Well heck...thought you were 'required' to shoot somebody every day in Memphus.

slamfire51
09-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Well heck...thought you were 'required' to shoot somebody every day in Memphus.

I wouldn't be caught dead or alive in Memphis.

Warthogg
09-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't be caught dead or alive in Memphis.

I escaped late one night in 1995 from Memphis.

slamfire51
09-30-2010, 10:15 PM
I escaped late one night in 1995 from Memphis.

Count your blessings.
I probably would run out of ammo before I got out. Another reason I don't go there any more.
That places SUX!!

Cypher
10-01-2010, 07:56 AM
IMO, when you carry one of the best things you can do is hang your ego on the coat rack on your way out the door. A lot easier said than done I know, but situations where you would normally push back on someone, verbally or physically you can't do when you are carrying a gun, you can't afford to get in a fist fight or escalate a situation when you have a gun strapped to your side.

slamfire51
10-01-2010, 07:59 AM
IMO, when you carry one of the best things you can do is hang your ego on the coat rack on your way out the door. A lot easier said than done I know, but situations where you would normally push back on someone, verbally or physically you can't do when you are carrying a gun, you can't afford to get in a fist fight or escalate a situation when you have a gun strapped to your side.

+++1

deth502
10-01-2010, 12:29 PM
after a conversation yesterday, ive found the exception to my rule about only drawing to fire.

if i were to find someone INSIDE my home, the FIRST THING id do would be to draw down, followed immediately by a quick "who the fuck are you and why are you in my house"

gunsnetadmin
10-01-2010, 12:47 PM
after a conversation yesterday, ive found the exception to my rule about only drawing to fire.

if i were to find someone INSIDE my home, the FIRST THING id do would be to draw down, followed immediately by a quick "who the fuck are you and why are you in my house"

not me. someone inside my home, I dont recognize them..they dont belong, they get shot.

slamfire51
10-01-2010, 12:49 PM
not me. someone inside my home, I dont recognize them..they dont belong, they get shot.

Not me.
It may be someone delivering the news that I won the lottery.
I'll ask first, then if no lottery winnings.....BANG!!!!

AKTexas
10-01-2010, 12:50 PM

Got to love Texas!

AKTexas
10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Not me.

Hey pass along some of that lotto my way,college is expensive.

slamfire51
10-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Hey pass along some of that lotto my way,college is expensive.

I will if the messenger doesn't get shot.

AKTexas
10-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I will if the messenger doesn't get shot.

LOL,I guess I should play if I expect to win.

slamfire51
10-01-2010, 12:54 PM
LOL,I guess I should play if I expect to win.

I'll split mine 50-50 with you IF you do the same.

AKTexas
10-01-2010, 12:58 PM
I'll split mine 50-50 with you IF you do the same.

Okay,deal.I'm not moving from Texas though.

gunsnetadmin
10-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Not me.

isnt that breaking and entering? sounds illegal.

slamfire51
10-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Okay,deal.I'm not moving from Texas though.

WHAT???

Coming to the Great state of TENNESSEE?
I'll find you no matter where you hide to get my share of the winnings.

AKTexas
10-01-2010, 01:18 PM
WHAT???

Coming to the Great state of TENNESSEE?
I'll find you no matter where you hide to get my share of the winnings.

HAHA!I'm not really trying to hide,unless on the lease.

slamfire51
10-01-2010, 01:52 PM
HAHA!I'm not really trying to hide,unless on the lease.

Seriously, where are you moving to?