PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still shooting their MBR?

Richard Simmons
06-14-2014, 11:53 AM
My Polytech M14S is long gone as are my Garands. I'm down to my early CAI CETME (this is one of the very first with wood furniture and cast SS receiver) and large marge. Guess Large Marge is really more of a BABR (Bad Ass Battle Rifle) but she is my main gal so she still counts I guess.

Haven't had the CETME to the range in ages. It still has the Century muzzlebrake which, while it does a great job is also loud as hell and knocks stuff off the benches beside me at the range. Also the front sight is every so slightly canted on mine. Nothing major but given that and the fact that my eyes are over a half century old my vision isn't as good as it once was so I'm looking for a good way to mount either a scope or a red dot on my CETME.

Any optics and mount suggestions would be appreciated.

El Laton Caliente
06-14-2014, 12:26 PM
I'd go scope on a .308... This is the best mount: http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK-STANAG-CLAW-MOUNT-NEW-p1880.htm

You can get a rail that mounts to the claw.

Leaper's make a cheap version that seems to work for a lot of people. But, if you plan on rough use, I'd go with the better mount.

If you can find one AIMS made a great mount also, the is what is on my CETME.

imanaknut
06-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Still enjoy my STG-58 on those seeming rare days when I go shooting anymore.

ltorlo64
06-14-2014, 12:48 PM
I haven't taken my Garand to the range in about 2 years, but I have plans to. I have verified that the ammo I have can be used at the range I will be going to. I just have to finish my some school work I am doing. I have told myself "no shooting until the school work is done" to motivate me to finish. Hopefully in about a month I will back out shooting and the Garand is at the top of the list to take out.

Richard Simmons
06-14-2014, 01:00 PM
I'd go scope on a .308... This is the best mount: http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK-STANAG-CLAW-MOUNT-NEW-p1880.htm

You can get a rail that mounts to the claw.

Leaper's make a cheap version that seems to work for a lot of people. But, if you plan on rough use, I'd go with the better mount.

If you can find one AIMS made a great mount also, the is what is on my CETME.

The problem, as I understand it is the Stanag mounts need the flex of the sheet metal receivers to let them lock on. My receiver is cast and doesn't flex at all so I would have to modify the Stanag mount to fit my particular rifle. Maybe not a biggy but it couldn't later sell the mount separately as it would no longer work on a standard CETEM/HK91 receiver.

FunkyPertwee
06-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Unless you have some sentimental value in the CETME I might would sell it and use the money to buy a new PTR rifle with a pic rail welded to the receiver.

Helen Keller
06-14-2014, 01:18 PM
newp.. got rid of my mbr's

unless you count the Garand and a few other nefarious things of mine in the .30cal category .

Partisan1983
06-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Richard......here ya go

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/LOW-PROFILE-HK-SCOPE-MOUNT-30p1939.htm

Sergi762
06-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Still enjoy my STG-58 on those seeming rare days when I go shooting anymore.
Iron sights or glass? What do you have on it?

El Laton Caliente
06-14-2014, 05:08 PM
The problem, as I understand it is the Stanag mounts need the flex of the sheet metal receivers to let them lock on. My receiver is cast and doesn't flex at all so I would have to modify the Stanag mount to fit my particular rifle. Maybe not a biggy but it couldn't later sell the mount separately as it would no longer work on a standard CETEM/HK91 receiver.

I dremeled the mount area on the receiver and touched up the paint.

Starvin
06-14-2014, 08:18 PM
If memory serves me correctly it's been about a decade since I last shot my century G3. A few years back I was tempted to get one of those surplus Hensoldt 4x scopes for it but the cost just wasn't worth it for how little I shot the rifle. After the .308 surplus dried up it became cost prohibitive to shoot. I reload, but the fluted chamber messes up the brass and .308 brass isn't cheap.

I still kinda want a FAL in my collection but the thing that keeps me from buying one is knowing that, like the G3, it'll probably never really get shot enough. I keep telling myself I'm going to sell the G3 since I know I can get more for it than I paid all those years ago but it was the second rifle I bought so I'm kinda nostalgic for it.

Personally, if I'm going to spend the time and money reloading .308 it's going to be for my precision rifle, which is far more satisfying to shoot. I'll leave the blasting to my AR, I can get range pickup brass for free and bullets, powder, and primers are still reasonably priced (though the bullet prices for it continue to tick up like everything else).

was_peacemaker
06-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Nope, got rid of my FA-91 clone mainly because of the .308 ammo issue. Kind of got pricey.

Schuetzenman
06-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Not real often, maybe every other year. I still have my M1A, 2 FAL's I built and my 1st M1 Garand rifle. Someday I'll build the kit I have parts for to complete that Springfield stripped receiver I've had since 1999.

Warlord
06-15-2014, 10:23 AM
I sold off all of MBR's because of the ammo BS. Way too expensive, at this point it would be more of a novelty or luxury to own another... sadly enough.

kimberkid
07-15-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't remember the last time I shot my M1A, HK-91, HK-91 clone, DPMS LR-308 or my Remington 700 VSSF ... but I haven't gotten rid of them yet either. I've still got powder, primers & projectiles to load about 3,500 rounds and about the same of surplus Hirtenberger I bought back in the late 90's ... but in the last year or so I did buy a V-51 pistol which I'm not sure if I'm going to keep ... If I do I'll SBR it ... then for Christmas I got one of the US made SiG SSG-3000 and a month or so back I picked up a SiG 716 DMR.

When I bought the new guns I was thinking I'd sell the old 308's but I wanted to make sure I liked the new ones better first ... I just haven't gotten around to it yet as I've spent most of this year in the hospital.

Richard Simmons
07-15-2014, 06:37 PM
I don't remember the last time I shot my M1A, HK-91, HK-91 clone, DPMS LR-308 or my Remington 700 VSSF ... but I haven't gotten rid of them yet either. I've still got powder, primers & projectiles to load about 3,500 rounds and about the same of surplus Hirtenberger I bought back in the late 90's ... but in the last year or so I did buy a V-51 pistol which I'm not sure if I'm going to keep ... If I do I'll SBR it ... then for Christmas I got one of the US made SiG SSG-3000 and a month or so back I picked up a SiG 716 DMR.

When I bought the new guns I was thinking I'd sell the old 308's but I wanted to make sure I liked the new ones better first ... I just haven't gotten around to it yet as I've spent most of this year in the hospital.

Those all sound nice. Now that you mention the Hirt, seems like I bought mine about that time too. IIRC Century had it, don't recall the price but it came loose in WWII MG42 ammo cans. Still have one or two of the cans and maybe 150-200rds of the ammo. Also have 300-400rds of the mixed 7.62x51 that Southern Ammo used to sell. Most of mine is Israeli with some LC and FN mixed in. I still remember paying $100 for 1,000rds delivered in ammo cans. Wish I had bought many thousands of dollars worth at that price.

El Laton Caliente
07-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Remember the 1200 round cases of SA in 200 rnd battle packs? It was $139 the first time I bought some... wish I had a rail car load...

ready
07-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Never owned one. Always wanted an m14 though. Only .308 I shoot is my bolt gun.

FunkyPertwee
07-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Neither my Mosins nor my PSL get shot enough.

El Laton Caliente
07-18-2014, 02:17 PM
I need to break out the PSL... it is the only .30 cal that is still reasonable to shoot...

Partisan1983
07-18-2014, 03:26 PM
I haven't shot any of mine in years.

I picked up a FR8 about 3 years ago for $200 or so.....still haven't put a single round through her.

imanaknut
07-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Iron sights or glass? What do you have on it?

Sorry for missing this last month.

I shoot it with the standard iron sights. Been able to hold a 4 inch group standing off hand at 100 yards using Silver Bear ammo. Had more than a couple of friends drop jaws at the accuracy of this FrankenFal.

kimberkid
05-14-2016, 12:00 PM
I took my SiG SSG and 716 DMR out a couple weeks ago ... shot them suppressed which is the only way I can with my osteoporosis.

I should list some of my 30's that I can't suppress on Gunbroker as it doesn't look like I'll ever shoot them again ... now that I've got RA too :(

ltorlo64
05-14-2016, 02:21 PM
I took my Garand out a about two months ago. It was great to get a chance to shoot it, outside, on a nice spring day. Shot it with Alismith and some friends of his. We also shot a AK. It was a pretty good day.

Schuetzenman
05-17-2016, 09:53 PM
I took my SiG SSG and 716 DMR out a couple weeks ago ... shot them suppressed which is the only way I can with my osteoporosis.

I should list some of my 30's that I can't suppress on Gunbroker as it doesn't look like I'll ever shoot them again ... now that I've got RA too :(

Wow, sorry to hear that! Are you taking anything to help your bone density?

To the post subject, I still shoot my M1 and my M1A from time to time. I have plans to go shooting on my Birthday in June, they are on the list to go with me and maybe the Israeli light barrel FAL.

Helen Keller
05-18-2016, 05:56 AM
been shooting nothing but my 22/45 as of late.

I picked up a FN49 in 8mm recently , I'll be taking that out once I'm not so busy with life.

alismith
05-18-2016, 06:55 AM
been shooting nothing but my 22/45 as of late.

I picked up a FN49 in 8mm recently , I'll be taking that out once I'm not so busy with life.

Let us know how the FN49 handled. I've got one I've had for about 20 years and have never shot it yet. You've piqued my interest up now. May have to take it out and see how it shoots.

NAPOTS
05-18-2016, 07:42 AM
Let us know how the FN49 handled. I've got one I've had for about 20 years and have never shot it yet. You've piqued my interest up now. May have to take it out and see how it shoots.

Ive got an FN49 in 8mm in the back of my safe that I havent shot in years. Mine is in pretty rough shape.

kimberkid
05-18-2016, 09:27 AM
Wow, sorry to hear that! Are you taking anything to help your bone density?

I've been going to Mayo Clinic in MN for about 3 years ... I get an infusion of Reclast plus I'm on high doses of Calcium and Vitamins D and K ... I'm 59 now and by my calculations my bone density should be about normal about the same time I reach the typical age of loosing bone mass due to the ageing process, but RA adds a new component which I'm still trying to understand ... my first appointment with an RA doctor isn't until next month.

It's not fun, but its better than the alternative of not getting older ... unless vampires really do exist!

Schuetzenman
05-18-2016, 07:36 PM
I've been going to Mayo Clinic in MN for about 3 years ... I get an infusion of Reclast plus I'm on high doses of Calcium and Vitamins D and K ... I'm 59 now and by my calculations my bone density should be about normal about the same time I reach the typical age of loosing bone mass due to the ageing process, but RA adds a new component which I'm still trying to understand ... my first appointment with an RA doctor isn't until next month.

It's not fun, but its better than the alternative of not getting older ... unless vampires really do exist!

You and I are about the same age then. I hit the big 60 in about 2 weeks.

Just be very wary of steroid therapy for the RA. They can cause huge weight gain. And if they prescribe Viox do not take it unless you are looking to have a heart attack. PM me if you want to know more.