PDA

View Full Version : Taking a RV into California for eight days...Shotgun allowed?

chiak47
06-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Can a non-resident of cali have a 12ga mossberg 500 defender in a case hidden in the back of a 5th wheel RV? I need to know asap. I have done searching but I get a lot of liberal answers.
Thanks guys

tank_monkey
06-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Can a non-resident of cali have a 12ga mossberg 500 defender in a case hidden in the back of a 5th wheel RV? I need to know asap. I have done searching but I get a lot of liberal answers.
Thanks guys

It's not a handgun. You CAN bring handguns but there are certain legal traps you gotta watch for. It's not an Assault weapon or Class III full auto. Unless it's a short barreled shotgun, which you would have told us if it was, then it's just a regular plain old pump shotgun. No problem. California law only requires that you keep it locked and unloaded when you're driving. Since you have no trunk, you should put a lock on the hardcase. California has a law where you cannot have a gun within reach or access of the driver or any passenger because of road rage (if you've driven here you would under stand why ;) ). But buried in the far back, with a lock on it. The cops have no business even if they are searching your vehicle, to ask you to open it. Of course, you might run into the douchebag cop who doesn't know the law. But again. Standard long gun. Hard case. Lock. Unloaded. (you can bring ammo with you as long as it is put away somewhere else, completely separate from the gun).

If you're going camping in one of our large state or national forests, you can have it out of the case and loaded (kept in the RV), but check ahead if you're on BLM land or not. Some of the COUNTY parks don't allow loaded firearms (the small ones that are close to big towns) but if you're in one of the HUGE ones and more than 15 miles from any town or city, then you should be okay. Obviously it's a self protection gun and not a hunting gun. Obviously don't walk around with it all willy nilly. Folks will think you're hunting out of season or without tags and they NAIL you for that :D

But if you're going to Disneyland or the beach, keep that sucker unloaded and locked in a hard case. I drive around with AR-15s (the pre ban kind) unloaded in hard cases. Unless I"ve shot up the neighborhood, the cops can't do anything.

chiak47
06-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Cool.... Staying outside of LA at a national forest RV park. I am worried about leaving it in the trailer while we are away from the site doing the tourist thing.
Thanks for the info. I wish I could bring heavier weapons but wasn't sure and wanted to be safe.

PROBASCO
06-21-2014, 11:18 PM
I found out that police are not real keen on stopping motor homes. The theory of advantage is lost on every level including holding the high ground when your 4 feet above anyone on foot. Thw one time I was pulled over they wanted me to come out of the motorhome. The idea of keeping your weapon in the bedroom should meet the standard or out of arms reach. I would never travel thru kali without a weapon, I lived there before and they have insurgents there as tough and/or crazy as any in Afghanistan

tank_monkey
06-22-2014, 12:05 AM
I would never travel thru kali without a weapon, I lived there before and they have insurgents there as tough and/or crazy as any in Afghanistan

You lived in Compton? South Central? Nah. A couple of Willie Petes and they scatter! ;)