PDA

View Full Version : A "New" bullpup rifle is coming out...

Partisan1983
06-29-2014, 07:34 AM
For you bullpup lovers out there....

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/06/25/km-m17s556-bullpup/

raxar
06-29-2014, 07:44 AM
Let me guess, where as the old one cost $600 the new one will cost $1600

skorpion
06-29-2014, 08:33 AM
Let me guess, where as the old one cost $600 the new one will cost $1600
Close. $1800. :(
$1500+ seems like the new going rate for S/A rifles anymore. Besides AKs and run-of-the-mill ARs.

Schuetzenman
06-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Yawn! Well that's one I won't be running out to purchase.

Avanarts
06-29-2014, 11:52 AM
I have yet to find a bullpup that appeals to me. The pull (distance from butt to trigger) always seems to be excessively long and the balance is off, or at least strange.

Silentkilla01
06-29-2014, 12:00 PM
I have yet to find a bullpup that appeals to me. The pull (distance from butt to trigger) always seems to be excessively long and the balance is off, or at least strange.

^^^this

FunkyPertwee
06-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Mine cost $600 at a gun show in 2003.

If I want to upgrade I'll either buy the rail sections for it or just get a Tavor.

imanaknut
06-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Nothing like taking an old but proven design and making it more expensive, like nearly three times the final cost of the original.

Bullpups are strange weapons that do take getting used to. Many people look at the Steyr AUG or USR and talk about how strange it looks, and how tail heavy it feels, that is until they shoulder it and find it just about becomes a part of you and points naturally. The FHN P90 and the new second amendment approved PS90 are the same way, strange looking, and in this bullpup strange to figure out how to even hold it, but once you have it shouldered, it is a perfect close quarter weapon.

The problem with the old Bushmaster M17S is that it is heavy and gets really hot in summer time in the sun shooting. Part of the heat is that it blows the exhaust used to start piston travel into the front of the receiver, right where you hold it. It is heavy because it uses a 21 inch heavy barrel in a fully enclosed steel receiver designed to dampen harmonics and allow really good accuracy.

Of course bragging that you took the light plastic parts out and replaced them with aluminum sounds nice, but unless the whole receiver becomes aluminum replacing the steel, it should make it even heavier.

Helen Keller
06-29-2014, 04:04 PM
fuck that..

If you shop around you can get a tavor for $1600 .. or just spend a little more and get a new AUG.

I'm saving up for one of these.

http://www.dsarms.com/p-13277-ds-arms-fal-voyager-rifle-21-premium-threaded-barrel-fixed-buttstock.aspx

FunkyPertwee
06-29-2014, 04:09 PM

http://www.dsarms.com/p-13277-ds-arms-fal-voyager-rifle-21-premium-threaded-barrel-fixed-buttstock.aspx

Not bad.

I didn't know they made FALs for less than $1000 these days.

The PTR series has my attention for a cost effective MBR. They kind of fuck up the brass from I understand though. I know my old CETME chewed them up.

vit
06-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Bullpups have come a long way, even wrong handed people friendly. I handled an FS2000 and it felt great. Wouldn't mind one myself. But this? I don't think so.

Starvin
07-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Not bad.

I didn't know they made FALs for less than $1000 these days.

DSA's Voyager line cuts costs by using a cast receiver. I'll pass.

Back on subject, kudos to any company that want's to offer a "new" rifle but the bushmaster was never all that impressive and this doesn't seem to really add too much to the design. Personally I'm eagerly waiting for the new Desert Tech (DTA) MDR. It has tremendous potential.

l921428x
07-02-2014, 10:12 PM
fuck that..

If you shop around you can get a tavor for $1600 .. or just spend a little more and get a new AUG.

weight 17 pounds?

Schuetzenman
07-03-2014, 06:14 AM
weight 17 pounds?

SPECIFICATIONS:
Overall length 44"
Overall weight 9.75 lbs
Sights radius 22"
Length of pull 14.25"

was_peacemaker
07-03-2014, 06:58 AM
It looks like a poor mans generation one FAMAS.

Helen Keller
07-03-2014, 08:38 AM
DSA's Voyager line cuts costs by using a cast receiver. I'll pass.

So it's basically like buying a $900 century fal.. I'll pass.

O.S.O.K.
07-03-2014, 10:59 AM
I can buy three M-4geries for the same price. And I see no real advantage to this carbine. In fact, I see a lot of disadvantages.

Del-ton is running a July special - A-3 upper, standard M4 furniture, standard guts, M-4 feed ramps, chrome-lined 14 3/4", 1x7 twist barrel with pinned A-2 flash hider. $460. Add to my $100 receiver, $560.

Silentkilla01
07-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Where is a good place to get a stripped lower and the parts for it cheap but good parts? And just how hard is it to put a lowers internals in? I've never done it.

FunkyPertwee
07-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Where is a good place to get a stripped lower and the parts for it cheap but good parts? And just how hard is it to put a lowers internals in? I've never done it.

Palmetto State Armory.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php

Silentkilla01
07-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Palmetto State Armory.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php

Thanks for the link bud

tank_monkey
07-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Well I OWN the M17S (the original one) and boy is it clunky. It's heavy, really back heavy and the trigger is abominable. One thing he doesn't mention is the constant failure to feed I get when I shoot it. Like out of the blue it decides that I don't generate enough gas out of a shot to push the bolt carrier back so it short strokes it, not all the time, but like once every 3 or 4 shots. Who knows. Maybe I got a defective one or something.... :(

I would hesitate to recommend this to anyone, even with the 'modifications' which seem like a great leap forward at least in the issues which bugged me with the original M17S. What I don't like is that it doesn't have iron sights at all. Either you have a scope or you're out of luck.

Schuetzenman
07-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Also the originals had a plastic charging handle that was part of the scope base / carry handle. I saw a klutz drop one on a concrete floor right on that charging handle. This resulted in an instant sale of the rifle to the dumb-ass that broke it.

Silentkilla01
07-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Also the originals had a plastic charging handle that was part of the scope base / carry handle. I saw a klutz drop one on a concrete floor right on that charging handle. This resulted in an instant sale of the rifle to the dumb-ass that broke it.

Lol! That sucks

FunkyPertwee
07-03-2014, 09:46 PM

That sounds like something you could do on purpose if you wanted to buy a rifle and your wife didn't want you to spend the money on it.

"Sorry honey, I dropped it and had to buy it."

Silentkilla01
07-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Yeah I thought about doing that to a scar one time. Lol. Dude already got on to my friend for racking the bolt back. But we had to leave when my friend told the dude he wasn't paying 2200 for shit that couldn't even take the bolt being Engadged. Dude got pissed and told us to leave

rci2950
07-04-2014, 03:34 AM
It needs a bunch of lasers and flashlights.

Maybe one of those "things that go up"

NAPOTS
07-04-2014, 09:17 AM
It needs a bunch of lasers and flashlights.

Maybe one of those "things that go up"

Naw, if they put one of those things that go up on it then they will only be able to sell it in a handful of states.

Silentkilla01
07-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Naw, if they put one of those things that go up on it then they will only be able to sell it in a handful of states.

LMAO!! Crazies!!

kimberkid
07-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Well I OWN the M17S (the original one) and boy is it clunky. It's heavy, really back heavy and the trigger is abominable. One thing he doesn't mention is the constant failure to feed I get when I shoot it. Like out of the blue it decides that I don't generate enough gas out of a shot to push the bolt carrier back so it short strokes it, not all the time, but like once every 3 or 4 shots. Who knows. Maybe I got a defective one or something.... :(

I would hesitate to recommend this to anyone, even with the 'modifications' which seem like a great leap forward at least in the issues which bugged me with the original M17S. What I don't like is that it doesn't have iron sights at all. Either you have a scope or you're out of luck.
Yep, you must have just got a defective one ... I've had several over the last 20 years, never had a problem with any of them, the last one I got a year or so ago & I had it upgraded with a couple of his kits rather than send it to him. I had the barrel shortened to 16.25" and the basic trigger job but I didn't get the skeleton trigger then had a local machinist do the slots ... It changed the whole essence of the gun, it's still a little heavy but I figured I just need to work out a bit and it would be alright ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/kimberkid/Toys/P1010709.jpg

Silentkilla01
07-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Yep, you must have just got a defective one ... I've had several over the last 20 years, never had a problem with any of them, the last one I got a year or so ago & I had it upgraded with a couple of his kits rather than send it to him. I had the barrel shortened to 16.25" and the basic trigger job but I didn't get the skeleton trigger then had a local machinist do the slots ... It changed the whole essence of the gun, it's still a little heavy but I figured I just need to work out a bit and it would be alright ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/kimberkid/Toys/P1010709.jpg

Stop spending all that money on guns and get yourself some steroids and a trainer and you can finally tote it through the woods!

FunkyPertwee
07-14-2014, 10:46 PM
Every additional pound more your rifle weighs is one less loaded mag you can carry, no matter how much you can lift.

It shouldn't matter in a home defense weapon though.

kimberkid
07-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Stop spending all that money on guns and get yourself some steroids and a trainer and you can finally tote it through the woods!

Damn ... Why didn't I think of that :oh-shit: