PDA

View Full Version : My dog has started a weird hacking/gagging reflex after running/playing hard.

Paradox
09-30-2010, 05:08 PM
I have a two year old Yorkie that started hacking/gagging after running/playing hard. He doesn't throw up anything. Hes been doing this for about 24 hours. I am a little worried because he has never done this before.

Anyone know what might be causing this? I do give him heart guard for heart worms but I may have missed a month.

He does like to chew and run with sticks he finds in the yard. If this continues for the next 24 hours I will take him to the vet.

mriddick
09-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Is he over weight? Dogs can develop health issues when they get fat.

aliceinchains
09-30-2010, 05:30 PM
I highly doubt worms since you only missed a month. From what i read that is from advanced stages when they cough.

Dr. Gonzo GED
09-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Are there fox tails where you live? Those can get stuck in pretty much any hole a dog has and mess them up pretty bad.

Kadmos
09-30-2010, 06:07 PM
I hate to say this but Yorkies are known to have serious genetic health problems.

Partial collapse of the trachea is pretty common, they should not be held back by collars, and should be walking using a harness instead.

Bronchitis is really common in them as well.

He should be checked by a vet.

American Rage
09-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Your dog probably has allergies.

Rage

Arnulf
09-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Yeah..don't ask us...take him to the vet asap.

Paradox
09-30-2010, 07:12 PM
OK, he's going to the vet tomorrow.

By the way, my aviator is not a photo of my dog.

Thanks for the input.

Goodman
10-03-2010, 01:05 AM
What happened? Our Beagle has a dose of kennel cough right now and it sounds pretty similar. He got antibiotics and cough supressant.

cciota
10-03-2010, 07:59 AM
We had the same problem with our female. Took her to the vet and they thought it could be kennel cough. Then the vet asked if she eats raw hides. We told her the neighbor had given us one so we gave it to the dog. Apparently some dogs have a reaction to some chemical flavoring in raw hides. We took it away and within a few days the coughing stopped. Hasn't happened since.

Kadmos
10-03-2010, 05:40 PM
"kennel cough" = your dog is coughing/sick and we don't know or care why but it should get better.

For the Beagle, if you haven't already heard the term, look up "reverse sneezing", not harmful, common in beagles. Can save you some vet bills to know what it sounds like.

Goodman
10-03-2010, 06:23 PM
"kennel cough" = your dog is coughing/sick and we don't know or care why but it should get better.

For the Beagle, if you haven't already heard the term, look up "reverse sneezing", not harmful, common in beagles. Can save you some vet bills to know what it sounds like.

This definitely is an infection.
The vet isn't that big a deal..... we have huge loyalty points there LOL

Helen Keller
10-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Allergies..

It's the time of year when things are cooling down.

as for raw-hide it makes my dog puke , she doesn't get it anymore.

O.S.O.K.
10-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Glad you're takin him to the vet - this could be any number of things...