PDA

View Full Version : Web snooping is a dangerous move

Gunreference1
10-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Web snooping is a dangerous move

September 29, 2010|By Bruce Schneier, Special to CNN

On Monday, The New York Times reported that President Obama will seek sweeping laws enabling law enforcement to more easily eavesdrop on the internet. Technologies are changing, the administration argues, and modern digital systems aren't as easy to monitor as traditional telephones.

The government wants to force companies to redesign their communications systems and information networks to facilitate surveillance, and to provide law enforcement with back doors that enable them to bypass any security measures.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-29/opinion/schneier.web.surveillance_1_government-eavesdropping-internet-surveillance-law-enforcement?_s=PM:OPINION

Steve

AKTexas
10-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Say goodbye to online forums and email.

mriddick
10-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Would this stop anyone here from posting or believing what they already do?

cciota
10-01-2010, 09:38 AM

Not me. It's not like you need some secret code to read what is going on here. Now I do have a problem with the government shutting down forums because of what is said on those forums.

Richard Simmons
10-01-2010, 09:38 AM

Can't see that it would make any difference to me as far as posting goes. I could see at some point not posting photos of personal firearms or being as specific about ownership just to avoid possible harrassment. You don't really have to show someone a photo of your fiream to discuss the aspects of that firearm.

matshock
10-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Not me. It's not like you need some secret code to read what is going on here.

Pretty much- and the same with "social networking" sites.

This is more about reading email/text messaging and VOIP services so the targets are the usual- congressionally unaffiliated organized crime, jihadis and rich people that need social justice.

1 Patriot-of-many
10-01-2010, 11:10 AM
But I though the left was railing against the patriot act and the corruption of the 4th amendment....Guess I live in an alternate reality?

Partisan1983
10-01-2010, 11:26 AM
I can see how they will try to get away with it....

But they already do it now....how's it really gonna change anything ?