PDA

View Full Version : My Last Promotion

ltorlo64
09-01-2014, 08:57 AM
After 30 years and 6 months I have been promoted for the last time in the Navy. My next official personnel action will be when I retire in 4 and 1/2 years.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/566/medium/100_1863.JPG

Richard Simmons
09-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Congratulations Commander!!

TEN-32
09-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Stars and bars and scrambled eggs! Congratulations sir. I am certain your appointment is well deserved and well earned. :proudusa:

Woogiebear
09-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Congratulations. 30+ years is a heck of a long time. I am sitting at 14 years in the Army right now and trying to figure out if I have it in me to do at least the last 6. What kept you going? Why did you stay?

l921428x
09-01-2014, 11:37 AM
congratulations and thank you for your service!!

my wife said yea, that is exciting.

Gunreference1
09-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Congratulations and thank you for your service!

Steve

Gunreference1
09-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Double post.

ltorlo64
09-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Congratulations. 30+ years is a heck of a long time. I am sitting at 14 years in the Army right now and trying to figure out if I have it in me to do at least the last 6. What kept you going? Why did you stay?

I got out after my first 6 year enlistment. One of the things I learned while I was out was that the Navy was a job, and a job with very good opportunities (I joined at 18, right out of high school as an E3, promoted to E8, then earned a commission and I will retire as an O5, you won't find that kind of opportunity in many places), so I re-enlisted after being out for about 20 months. After that, the Navy kept offering me jobs that were challenging and where I knew I could make a difference. I had intended on retiring at 20 but kept sticking around for one more tour for the reasons listed above (challenging jobs where I could make a difference). Once I got past the first 20 years the last 10 years have flown by. And I wasn't sitting behind a desk either. I have 21 years of sea duty where I served on 9 ships (4 submarines, 1 cruiser, and 5 aircraft carriers), deployed 5 times for at least 180 days and once for just over 90 days, went on 5 TRIDENT deterrent patrols and spent an indeterminate time training for those deployments and patrols. It helped that my wife and daughter understood that I didn't do this for me but to keep them safe and free. It is not an easy life, but it has been a very good life.

Thank you for your service, you have done more than about 90% of America just by serving your first tour. Good luck on your decision and if you have any other questions feel free to send me a PM.

Viking350
09-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Congratulations and thank you. It is your sacrifice and the sacrifices of your brothers in arms that made this country great.

Hobe Sound AK
09-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Is it that hard to make Captian, and Higher? In 30 Years you just made it to 05(Unless you were Prior Enlisted) James Gavin was promoted to Brigadier General in WW2 at the Age of 38? I guess the Navy must be Top Heavy. In the top Ranks. If the Shit hits the Fan, could you still see Captain?

imanaknut
09-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Congratulations and THANK YOU don't seem like enough after what you have done for us and this country!!!!!!!

ltorlo64
09-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Is it that hard to make Captian, and Higher? In 30 Years you just made it to 05(Unless you were Prior Enlisted) James Gavin was promoted to Brigadier General in WW2 at the Age of 38? I guess the Navy must be Top Heavy. In the top Ranks. If the Shit hits the Fan, could you still see Captain?

I spent 15 years as an enlisted sailor before getting commissioned. I am too old to make CAPT. The military will make me retire at 35 years (required by law for O5s commissioned as I was) and I will not be eligible for the CAPT board until about 36-37 years. I am happy with where I am at, especially considering I did not think I would make it to E7!

The promotion timelines we work to would go out the window if something like WWII happened again. As people are killed off others are promoted to take their places, and when they are killed off others are promoted again. As new battalions are stood up and ships are built someone has to command them and direct them, so the promotions happen earlier. Personally, I hope that does not happen ever again. Realistically, it probably will, but it is never a good thing to have to promote people so fast.

alismith
09-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Congratulations on your promotion. You've put in a lot of hard work and deserve everything you earn. I know you'll do honor to the rank and congratulations again.

It was great seeing you F-T-F the other year when I was on my school's field trip to the Smithsonian. It was an honor buying you lunch. I hope you got to see the dinosaur hall before they closed it. It should be even better when it reopens.

Congratulations again! And thank-you for all you've done for the rest of us.

Adog
09-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Congratulations and thank you.

Partisan1983
09-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Congrats !!!

That's a big ordeal.

Hobe Sound AK
09-02-2014, 04:06 AM
I see, I figured you had to have some Enlisted Time in those Years. all the best. Paul

NewbieAKguy
09-03-2014, 07:27 AM
A very heartfelt congratulations and THANK YOU for your service. I'm glad Obama didn't sour you on your commitment.

L1A1Rocker
09-03-2014, 07:37 AM
Congratulations!