PDA

View Full Version : Water filters

Mac_Muz
07-17-2010, 10:33 PM
I see a new thread on water disinfectants, but a filter is not the same thing.

I don't know much about these, other than I want one.

I know I want one that needs NO batterys, and doesn't need much care.

I was looking at a MSR today that pumps 2 liters of water a minute new. The pump works both ways. MSR claims 250 gallons per ceramic element, which then is replaced.

I would expect to use it when there is no other choice and make an attempt to somehow clean it. I wouldn't want to use it once and let it lay about dirty till a next time.

I need to do more research.

I don't like chems in my water, but I know how.

Another thing to consider is replacement parts and costs.

Another filter I looked at was a Kataden. Less money , but a heavier filter to pack. When walking ounces neeed to be counted.

I really need help on this one.

sevlex
07-17-2010, 11:13 PM
I've had a Katadyn for almost 20yrs. Never had to replace the filter. It's easy to disassemble and clean the filter off with a brush when it starts to clog. The newer ones are silver-impregnated which is supposed to kill any nasty germs that could build up. Still, my old unit has never let me down when pumping water from giardia-infested streams. There is no charcoal filtration so I have to aware of possible chemical contamination. Up in the mountains that means you have to look for abandoned mines upstream.

I don't mind the extra weight. The trade-off is you get the best means of obtaining drinking water.

:coffee:

Mac_Muz
07-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. Around here there is tim mines, and lead mines, in metals, also gold if panned here, but gold probably isn't bad in drinking water. It is said during WW-2 uranium came out of the Ossipee Mnts too, and was used in the Manhatten project. I have searched for any sign of that, but so far fail to find any.

arcangel
07-23-2010, 04:12 AM
Katadyn does rock! I have the Vario, very nice and handy, light and not too bulky. $80 at Gander Mt, they have filters as well for 15-25 for the replacements.

recon
01-03-2011, 09:41 PM
http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters/

Flinter
01-03-2011, 09:56 PM
I've used MSR Waterworks filters for years. They are nice, but if there is much algea in the water they tend to clog up faster....and they pump kind of slow.

A friend uses a PUR and he can pump twice the water I can in the same time. However, I know for a fact that he's gotten sick twice using his filter.

I'll keep mine.

recon
01-03-2011, 10:08 PM
How about this one?
http://www.nitro-pak.com/steripen-sidewinder

ubersoldate
01-04-2011, 01:04 AM
Ive ues a PUR for years, and it was problematic at best.

Katy's are awesome, Ive got a Vario...It was under a 100 bucks, and small and light..Had it two years with no issues.

The trick is not only how fast they will pump water, but how long the filters last. Also make sure the intake hose is long..

Mac, been a while, happy new year!
Its good seeing you here in the survival forum, its nice having peoples input that spend some time in the bush!

El Jefe
01-04-2011, 07:09 AM
I see a new thread on water disinfectants, but a filter is not the same thing.

I don't know much about these, other than I want one.

I know I want one that needs NO batterys, and doesn't need much care.

I was looking at a MSR today that pumps 2 liters of water a minute new. The pump works both ways. MSR claims 250 gallons per ceramic element, which then is replaced.

I would expect to use it when there is no other choice and make an attempt to somehow clean it. I wouldn't want to use it once and let it lay about dirty till a next time.

I need to do more research.

I don't like chems in my water, but I know how.

Another thing to consider is replacement parts and costs.

Another filter I looked at was a Kataden. Less money , but a heavier filter to pack. When walking ounces neeed to be counted.

I really need help on this one.

Hey Mac, I can't help much except to say that like some of the other guys I bought a Katadyn filter. I've not had it long and haven't had cause to use it yet. I just wanted one to stash in case of an emergency. I may use it this spring when the boys and I are camping if I'm running low on water and don't want to boil any.

Penguin
01-04-2011, 07:35 AM
For what it is worth I also bought a couple of Katadyn filters. I haven't had to use them yet though.

Mark Ducati
01-04-2011, 07:01 PM
How about some of these?

1L Water "Reverse Osmosis" bags... toss them in any dirty pond water/river/lake and they self inflate in about 10hours...

http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/539227.jpg

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11590581&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|3605|75277&N=4040913&Mo=39&No=12&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=75277&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=3605*75277*&topnav=

108 of the 1L bags for $199 from CostCo.

robert
02-14-2011, 02:32 PM
those are awsome need$ to atain.

O.S.O.K.
02-14-2011, 02:36 PM
How about some of these?

1L Water "Reverse Osmosis" bags... toss them in any dirty pond water/river/lake and they self inflate in about 10hours...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11590581&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|3605|75277&N=4040913&Mo=39&No=12&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=75277&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=3605*75277*&topnav=

108 of the 1L bags for $199 from CostCo.

Now that is cool. I wonder if they're reusable? If so, then they're even better!

Penguin
02-14-2011, 08:06 PM
I have never heard of those. I may have to look into it.

Dafapa
02-14-2011, 09:18 PM
How do you know if these things truly work? I've seen filters that supposedly can turn muddy water into fresh clean drinking water, but how do you verify they work without putting your health on the line? I guess you could use one of the filters that removes particulate and harmful microbes, and then add iodine pills or possibly some sort of chlorine yourself just to be sure.

Integratedj
02-14-2011, 09:52 PM
I am really loving my Katadyn. I have the Pocket Micro Filter.
There is no other filter on the market that I could find that has the Filter life of this one and I have yet to find one review stating that the pump handle broke like I did for so many other filters I looked at. The flow rate is fine for me so far. It isn't Micro in any real sense of the word. Don't buy it thinking it goes into your pocket like the name might suggest. It weighs more than other filters, but I'd rather take a little more weight if it is a guarantee that the thing will work for me.

Integratedj
02-14-2011, 09:57 PM
How do you know if these things truly work? I've seen filters that supposedly can turn muddy water into fresh clean drinking water, but how do you verify they work without putting your health on the line? I guess you could use one of the filters that removes particulate and harmful microbes, and then add iodine pills or possibly some sort of chlorine yourself just to be sure.

I've never been sick, and non of my hiking friends ever have either and we've had to drink from some real questionable water before. I've had water from a beaver pond and not been sick. I dare you to try just a mouthful unfiltered and see how you feel... They work as long as you are using a filter rated to remove what you are avoiding. If they didn't the companies would have been sued out of business by now.

Dafapa
02-14-2011, 10:28 PM
I've never been sick, and non of my hiking friends ever have either and we've had to drink from some real questionable water before. I've had water from a beaver pond and not been sick. I dare you to try just a mouthful unfiltered and see how you feel... They work as long as you are using a filter rated to remove what you are avoiding. If they didn't the companies would have been sued out of business by now.

Do you just filter and drink, or do you have to add purification tablets after filtration?

Integratedj
02-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Do you just filter and drink, or do you have to add purification tablets after filtration?

I Just filter and drink. The katadyn I use gets everything except Mining Chemicals, and I don't hike/drink around the mines down here.

alismith
02-16-2011, 08:02 PM
How about those sink faucet water filters, like Brita? Are they any good for filtering out microbes? I was just trying to think about alternative filters should the need ever arise...

Mark Ducati
02-17-2011, 07:16 PM
How much time do you have?

In 10hrs, these bags self inflate and filter all microbes out through osmosis....

I've been meaning to buy a box of these form Costco... Hydropacks:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11590581&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|3605|75277|28299&N=4047921&Mo=24&pos=2&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=28299&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC39718-Cat75277&topnav=

108 filters for $199.99... toss in any creek/pond/lake, the bags filter out the bacteria, the water may not taste great, but is potable and live saving.

Mark Ducati
02-17-2011, 07:49 PM
I've never seen something like this before... what do you thinnk?

http://www.nitro-pak.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/s/t/steripen_sidewinder_cap_pf_pd_small.jpg

http://www.nitro-pak.com/steripen-sidewinder

Hand-Powered, Battery-Free UV Water Purifier

Fill it, Crank it, Drink it! Perfect for Emergency use—be prepared for hurricanes, earthquakes, water line breaks & other disasters that disrupt your drinking water supply.

Always ready, the SteriPEN® Sidewinder is a long-life, storable water purifier that destroys waterborne microbes that could make you sick. With the SteriPEN® Sidewinder, you can generate safe drinking water for you, your family and your pets.

The Sidewinder is the first portable UV water purifier to require no batteries; the device purifies 8,000 liters of water – 1 liter at a time; cranking 90 seconds for each. The SteriPEN Sidewinder features a proven UV system that destroys waterborne bacteria, viruses and protozoa such as giardia and cryptosporidium. This hand-powered system is eco-friendly and can save thousands of plastic bottles from entering landfills. The long lasting Sidewinder purification system includes a one-liter Tritan™ BPA-free bottle and SteriPEN® Pre-Filter for use prior to treatment if the water contains particulates. With the Sidewinder, you can crank up safe drinking water anywhere, anytime.

$99.95