PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming Causes Extiction of Aldabra Banded Snail

sevlex
09-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Purple Snail May Be Climate Change Casualty

by John Nielsen
August 08, 2007

A snail you've probably never heard of on the far side of the world was declared extinct this week. Normally, that wouldn't be worth mentioning. But this was not your typical extinction; it may be the first tied directly to global warming.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12600707

Uh Oh *cough, cough*....

Seychelles snail, believed extinct due to climate change, found 'alive and well,' says group
http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2014/09/08/seychelles-snail-thought-extinct-found-alive

Al Gore had no comment...
:coffee:

alismith
09-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Well, the snail was just "slow" to go extinct. Give it time....

Now, if it had been a Road Runner, it would have gone extinct long ago, just anticipating global warming...

Sherman
09-08-2014, 08:01 PM
The Aldabra banded snail lived on the Seychelles Islands in the Indian Ocean. Biologist Justin Gerlach of Oxford University says it had very pretty shell: dark, purplish blue with an orange band around.

"It's quite a conspicuous species," Gerlach says.

Or at least it was 30 years ago, when scientists plucked them off of fresh leaves all over the islands.

"Since then, it has been impossible to find. The last one was found in 1997 and it was collected simply because the person who collected it thought it was strange and didn't know what it was," Gerlach says.

Gerlach is a moron.

LAGC
09-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Well, just as threatened species do go extinct every year, new species are being born as well.

I wouldn't be so concerned with what's dying off (unless its really impacts the food chain) but rather what is being created. Our tropical rain forests are veritable breeding grounds for all sorts of new critters. The higher the temperature, the faster the mutation rate.

There's a reason why HIV and Ebola both originated in Africa. And periodic malaria outbreaks in Central/South America.

We fuck with the climate at our peril.

imanaknut
09-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Species come and species go, such is the way of the world, and it has been this way for a long time, otherwise there could be a T-rex lurking outside your door right now!

WOD
09-08-2014, 10:18 PM
How do I know there ISN'T a T-Rex lurking outside my door now? :mouse2:

l921428x
09-08-2014, 10:39 PM
there is a lot more things you can fuck with besides climate.......

http://www.examiner.com/article/usda-seizes-massive-numbers-of-giant-african-snails-georgia

500 crops and then buildings..

Schuetzenman
09-09-2014, 05:55 AM
It is a snail ... good riddance. Probably eats some human's crops or would if there were any of it.

alismith
09-09-2014, 06:12 AM
How do I know there ISN'T a T-Rex lurking outside my door now? :mouse2:

You'd know.

studmuffin
09-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Time to throw an entinction party

El Jefe
09-09-2014, 09:15 AM
The hoaxers are getting desperate now, they know the jig is up and are throwing hail mary's hoping against hope that they can yet destroy civilization.

These fuckers should be hanged.

Krupski
09-09-2014, 10:37 AM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12600707

So a tiny bit warmer climate killed off the snails? I call BS.

Undersea life (that isn't a mammal) has a body temperature equal to the water temperature (ectothermic). If the water got warmer, they would just get a bit more active, not die out.

If the water went from 30 deg C to 100 deg C in ten minutes, then yeah the snails might die. But to go from 30 to 35 in the course of a few years... insignificant. And not the cause of the "extinction".

Krupski
09-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Well, just as threatened species do go extinct every year, new species are being born as well.

I wouldn't be so concerned with what's dying off (unless its really impacts the food chain) but rather what is being created. Our tropical rain forests are veritable breeding grounds for all sorts of new critters. The higher the temperature, the faster the mutation rate.

There's a reason why HIV and Ebola both originated in Africa. And periodic malaria outbreaks in Central/South America.

We fuck with the climate at our peril.

Who is "we"? Human activity does not affect the climate. Blame the big bright star in the sky for "global warming".

Just wait until Betelgeuse goes nova The gamma ray burst will probably kill some life on Earth, Now THAT'S something to worry about, given that Betelgeuse is ready to blow. It could go tonight or a million years from now (I hope it's the latter).

sevlex
09-09-2014, 11:55 AM
I get the impression a lot of posters failed to notice the "uh-oh" part of the post.

LAGC
09-09-2014, 01:13 PM
I get the impression a lot of posters failed to notice the "uh-oh" part of the post.

Come on, sevlex. We all know you're a hard-core Kool-Aid drinker of Al Gore's magnum opus.

Don't deny it. ;)

Krupski
09-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Come on, sevlex. We all know you're a hard-core Kool-Aid drinker of Al Gore's magnum opus.

Don't deny it. ;)

More like Magnum Shit......

sevlex
09-09-2014, 02:23 PM

Don't deny it. ;)

Magnum Anus?

:naughty:

Sherman
09-10-2014, 08:26 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/10/Extinct-snail-killed-by-climate-change-crawls-back-from-the-dead

LOL!

imanaknut
09-10-2014, 08:29 PM
With reports of the "extinct" snail coming back from "the dead", can the T-rex be far behind???

Kadmos
09-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Yes, because they are filthy cesspits.... which has made them disease ridden filthy cesspits.

sevlex
09-10-2014, 09:26 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/10/Extinct-snail-killed-by-climate-change-crawls-back-from-the-dead

LOL!

I wonder if the folks at Breitbart are monitoring this board?

sevlex
09-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Yes, because they are filthy cesspits.... which has made them disease ridden filthy cesspits.

Holy Shit, Kad!! I almost spit a dirty martini out my nose!!!

:martinismiley:

mrkalashnikov
09-10-2014, 09:38 PM
They are wrong about that snail being extinct.

I just came in from pan-frying a few hundred of them on the Weber. A little lemon butter, some garlic, some paprika, salt & ground pepper & you got yoself some damn good eatin.

l921428x
09-10-2014, 11:35 PM
I wonder if the folks at Breitbart are monitoring this board?

if they are they are smart

1 Patriot-of-many
09-12-2014, 04:01 AM
Yes, because they are filthy cesspits.... which has made them disease ridden filthy cesspits. Tag team at work. Point out the obvious in one post then his next 100 will appear to be scientifically derived even though they are paid for by the DNC.