PDA

View Full Version : RPD help?

Citizen Pain
10-02-2010, 02:54 PM
What is the level of difficulty in building an RPD? Do you know of any good tutorials online? I have been looking at the "in the white" receivers and parts kits from military gun supply. Any guidance is much appreciated.

abpt1
10-02-2010, 03:02 PM
What is the level of difficulty in building an RPD? Do you know of any good tutorials online? I have been looking at the "in the white" receivers and parts kits from military gun supply. Any guidance is much appreciated.
I have only really seen rewelds or guys that have the cash get one cnc cut

ATAK, Inc.
10-02-2010, 03:03 PM
I thought I had a link for the build, but nothing's there!

IIRC, MGS was selling a conversion parts kit to go along with the RPD kit and receiver.

I've been contemplating going down the same road, I really hated selling my RPD, deff. a fun gun!!!

Blacksmith
10-02-2010, 11:41 PM
I’m getting ready to build one, but nobody is currently making a threaded receiver. So the only option is to turn the barrel and remove the threads. This allows the barrel to be pressed in and pinned like an AKM.
There is also allot of machine work that needs to be done on your parts to allow it to fire from a closed bolt. I have a mill, so the machine work is no big deal for me. But I have no way to turn down the threads. so I am still hoping somebody will come out with a threaded receiver.
BtW
I saw a post from Pirate on another forum. He stated that he was going to start building them again on the DSA receivers. I’m keeping that open as option #2. because I have no intent of buying a lathe.

Citizen Pain
10-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks for that info on the barrel. I've been reading in weaponeer and some others and couldn't figure out if the barrels needed to be threaded or pressed and pinned. I think I will just buy a kit now and figure it out or if all else fails try to pay someone else to do it. Anyone know how much wiselite charges for an RPD build?

Blacksmith
10-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks for that info on the barrel. I've been reading in weaponeer and some others and couldn't figure out if the barrels needed to be threaded or pressed and pinned. I think I will just buy a kit now and figure it out or if all else fails try to pay someone else to do it. Anyone know how much wiselite charges for an RPD build?
I do not know what happened. but “Wiselite” is no more.
Other than building it yourself, this is currently the only option.
http://projectguns.com/rpdbuilds.html
XXXXXX?

Citizen Pain
10-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Hmm, I just read the notice on wiselites site, that sucks. So it would cost me around $1700 in the end for projectguns to do the build. I suppose I could buy one already built for 1800. I think I may try the "DIY" approach, I wonder how many years it's gonna take me to figure this one out?

Blacksmith
10-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Hmm, I just read the notice on wiselites site, that sucks. So it would cost me around $1700 in the end for projectguns to do the build. I suppose I could buy one already built for 1800. I think I may try the "DIY" approach, I wonder how many years it's gonna take me to figure this one out?
Damn!
They sure have come down in price. It was not too long ago that you could not get close to owning one for less than $2,800.
The only thing I would worry about with buying one already assembled is if it has a US made barrel or the original? and who assembled it?
IMHO

"DIY" or Project guns is a better bet. At least you have a warranty. and I see Pirate all over the net. If somebody had any problems with him, they would have let him know.

Penguin
10-03-2010, 06:19 PM
I do not know what happened. but “Wiselite” is no more.
Other than building it yourself, this is currently the only option.
http://projectguns.com/rpdbuilds.html
XXXXXX?

What?! Did I understand that right? Wiselite went out of buisness? When did that happen?

Citizen Pain
10-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Blacksmith, what you said about the barrel being original or US made reminds me, a lot of the kits I see are demilled barrels with holes drilled in them, or like sarcos has the "new us barrel", do you know if the MGS kits have good chrome lined original polish barrels?

Blacksmith
10-03-2010, 08:14 PM
What?! Did I understand that right? Wiselite went out of buisness? When did that happen?

I don’t know when exactly it happened, but it sure looks like they are gone. :(
As far as I know, They where the only ones making a threaded receiver.

Blacksmith
10-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Blacksmith, what you said about the barrel being original or US made reminds me, a lot of the kits I see are demilled barrels with holes drilled in them, or like sarcos has the "new us barrel", do you know if the MGS kits have good chrome lined original polish barrels?

The one I got from them is a good one with the barrel intact. They also gave me the drop case and all the goodies it was issued with. :D
but...That was awhile back, so it might be a good idea to give them a call and make sure.
BTW
The kits with the US barrel are crap. If you do find a threaded receiver, they will not work. the thread pitch is different. So the only option is press in. and then you have the extra labor of installing the gas block etc.
All for a non chrome lined cheap barrel. :thumbsdown:

Citizen Pain
10-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Just a follow up, bought a MGS RPD kit. It does have a chrome lined barrel. I got a grade II kit which is $100 less and it was in great condition. Also, sent wiselite an e-mail and they are not out of business, I don't know why they aren't accepting orders but if you ask them via e-mail privately, they may offer to put your kit in with a batch that they make for DSArms. They charge over $1000 and you must supply your own receiver. I opted to go with project guns. Their $1250 fee includes the price of the receiver and they blast and refinish the whole gun and ship back to an FFL. So you can buy a semi RPD for 349.95+receiver and assemblage for 1250=1600 Then there is the $20~ Shipping of your parts kit to them. (but if you are smart unlike me, you could just have MGS ship the kit to project guns instead of you) Also worth mentioning, MGS has a 4 drum set deal for $130, you can nearly pay for that with the money you save if you buy a grade II kit (just a thought)

Penguin
10-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Good I am glad to hear they aren't out of buissness. That would have sucked.

robert
02-16-2011, 09:59 PM
keep us posted I am wanting to do this myself