PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Sheriff ordered to take college course on Constitution

JTHunter
07-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Got this email today from the "Natl. Assoc. for Gun Rights" about a sheriff who denied a political activist a CC permit because of his political views! Here's the text of the email - -

In Iowa, a Federal judge has ordered the Osceola County Sheriff to issue a concealed handgun permit to a political activist and take a remedial course on Free Speech and the 1st Amendment.

Iowa Gun Owners member Paul Dorr, father of IGO director Aaron Dorr, successfully sued Osceola County Sheriff Douglas Weber, after his ccw permit application was denied.

Sheriff Weber testified that he denied Dorr’s permit application because of Dorr's political activities and views -- the same grassroots activism that gun owners like you participate in with the National Association for Gun Rights.

In the ruling Federal District Judge Mark Bennett said: “In denying Paul a concealed weapons permit, Sheriff Weber single-handedly hijacked the First Amendment and nullified its freedoms and protections. Ironically, Sheriff Weber, sworn to uphold the Constitution, in fact retaliated against a citizen of his county who used this important freedom of speech and association precisely in the manner envisioned by the founding members of our nation ...”

As a result of his outrageous infringement upon Mr. Dorr’s rights, Sheriff Weber was ordered by Judge Bennett to complete a college level course on the U.S. Constitution, “including -- at least in part -- a discussion of the First Amendment.” Sheriff Weber is also required to file an affidavit proving his completion of the course with the court.

This is a huge victory for the right-to-carry in Iowa.

Congratulations are due to Paul Dorr and Iowa Gun Owners for this important victory.

You can read more about the lawsuit and Judge Bennett’s ruling on the National Association for Gun Rights' blog. http://nationalgunrights.org/blog/?p=572

El Laton Caliente
07-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Kudos to that Judge!!! We need more like him!

justinsaneok
07-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Kudos to that Judge!!! We need more like him!

I would reelect this guy

weevil
07-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Some discussion on the Second Amendment as well, wouldn't be a bad idea for him.

nfa1934
07-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Unfortunately, a college course in the Constitution is likely to be filled with revisionist nonsense that reinforce the Sheriff's incorrect views. The Judge's thinking is sound, but the order is unlikely to have the desired effect.

ltorlo64
07-18-2010, 01:01 AM
I hope the Sheriff doesn't go to a class taught by Professor Obama.

Prometheus168
07-18-2010, 04:20 AM
Send him to Texas A&M and have Professor Anderson teach him... He will learn just how important the 2nd is!

Rusty

mriddick
07-18-2010, 09:28 AM
I think all government workers need this every once in a while, I've noticed in time they all seem to forget who they work for.

renegadebuck
07-18-2010, 10:30 AM
I think all government workers need this every once in a while, I've noticed in time they all seem to forget who they work for.

And usually not that long of a time! :D

El Jefe
07-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Dang, this guys opponent in the next election just got handed an invaluable campaign tool. "Don't vote for my opponent" "A judge had to send him to school to learn the law"

AKTexas
07-18-2010, 10:35 AM
This needs to be done to those LEO's that refuse to sign off on NFA papers based solely on their opinions.

O.S.O.K.
07-18-2010, 11:43 AM
An excellent precedent for future suits against fools like this that get elected, swear an oath to protect the Constitution of the United States and then do whatever they want to like some two-bit local dictator.

justinsaneok
07-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Some discussion on the Second Amendment as well, wouldn't be a bad idea for him.

Good thing it's covered by a class on the constitution " as well"

l921428x
07-20-2010, 02:31 AM
Seems strange that the rulers are forgeting the rules. I think I would sue him for something else, while the iron is hot.