PDA

View Full Version : Racoon Attack

aliceinchains
10-02-2010, 08:23 PM
My friend was at home working in his garage with his brother. His dog started barking and snarling outside in the neighbors yard. They both investigated the cause.

Racoon and his dog were facing off. The dog is 80 pounds mixed shepard with hair raised on back. Upon my friend coming out to the situation the dog bolted behind him.

The racoon then went up on its hind legs and then charged my friend. He kicked it in the head and sent it back about 8 feet . It recovered and ran at him again which he kicked it back about the same distance.

However his brother had already grabbed a baseball bat watching this unfold. And was there to bash its head in before it could recover again.

I would like to mention the racoon had its mouth open the whole time intent to bite. I suspect it had rabies

Blacksmith
10-02-2010, 11:14 PM
My friend was at home working in his garage with his brother. His dog started barking and snarling outside in the neighbors yard. They both investigated the cause.

Racoon and his dog were facing off. The dog is 80 pounds mixed shepard with hair raised on back. Upon my friend coming out to the situation the dog bolted behind him.

The racoon then went up on its hind legs and then charged my friend. He kicked it in the head and sent it back about 8 feet . It recovered and ran at him again which he kicked it back about the same distance.

However his brother had already grabbed a baseball bat watching this unfold. And was there to bash its head in before it could recover again.

I would like to mention the racoon had its mouth open the whole time intent to bite. I suspect it had rabies

I’ve got a bunch of them around here and they have never acted like that.
IMO
You should report it to your game and fish authorities. Just so they know they have rabies in the area. If you still have it, you should give it too them so they can confirm it.

Did the raccoon draw any blood?

ltorlo64
10-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Apparently watching those kung fu movies is not such a waste of time!

ubersoldate
10-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Zombie coon.

gewehr44
10-03-2010, 03:07 AM
I would say more likely than not. Any chance of injury is worth a cautionary rabies shot. I still recall a few years ago some young girl died of rabies & it was believed she had been bitten by a bat in her sleep & never noticed. Frightening...

abpt1
10-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Coons can be nasty fuckers with out rabies ...But you should call the game warden .

Blacksmith
10-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Coons can be nasty fuckers with out rabies ...

They have been becoming a real nuisance around here. So I’ve been thinning them out. The other night I had a bunch in a tree and did not realize my self adjusting pellet rifle sights where out again. When I took the shot, it was about 3 inches too high and I tagged the one behind the one I was aiming at. pissed it off good! It was hissing and groaning until I reloaded and dropped him like a rock. the remainder got the hell out of dodge and I haven’t seen any sign of them since. :)

old Grump
10-03-2010, 05:42 PM
They have been becoming a real nuisance around here. So I’ve been thinning them out. The other night I had a bunch in a tree and did not realize my self adjusting pellet rifle sights where out again. When I took the shot, it was about 3 inches too high and I tagged the one behind the one I was aiming at. pissed it off good! It was hissing and groaning until I reloaded and dropped him like a rock. the remainder got the hell out of dodge and I haven’t seen any sign of them since. :)
And that my friend why my coon load is the same as my HD load, a 20 gauge with #4 shot. Also good on skunks 45 yards from the house. I really didn't want it to get any closer and it was dark enough I didn't trust my rifle or pistol at that distance. Both skunks and coons are hard targets when its dark thirty out.

Could have been rabies but I'm more inclined to think Distemper due to its aggressiveness. The good thing is the strain of rabies in raccoons is rarely fatal, in fact only one man has ever died from raccoon rabies. The bad thing is 41% of all rabies in the wild is in raccoons, the rest mostly in skunks, foxes and bats, bats probably the most deadly. Next door neighbor at White Sands Missile base was camping and a bobcat bit her on the back of the leg. Turned out the park ranger had to get a friend of his to shoot the bobcat and it was rabid, 3rd one that summer but the only one that had attacked a human. That is one of the reasons when I see a skunk ignoring me in my front yard it gets shot and buried where I dropped it. Raccoons get shot because they think I bought all that bird seed for them and I can't convince them any other way. I'm also torqued that they got my peas, my squash and my sweet corn. At least they left me the turnips and the onions.