PDA

View Full Version : Shemitah

N/A
09-23-2014, 10:20 AM
The Shemitah starts today?

5.56NATO
09-23-2014, 10:25 AM
The Russell 2000 has been diverging from the broader market over the last several weeks, and now technicians point out it has flashed a bearish signal. For the first time in more than two years, the small-cap index has hit a so-called death cross.

A death cross occurs when a nearer-term 50-day moving average falls below a longer-term, 200-day moving average. Technicians argue that a death cross can be a bearish sign.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102006075

and more to shmita;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8B14NSIWc8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyrZCZv1W1k

Richard Simmons
09-23-2014, 10:44 AM

Thought it was Thursday the 25th?

Krupski
09-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Fear mongering....based on man-made religion.

5.56NATO
09-23-2014, 11:54 AM
...based on man-made religion.

And many of the movers and shakers in the financial world follow that religion.
Do you expect them not to observe their holy days?

http://suzieqq.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/how-a-group-of-international-bankers-engineered-the-1929-crash-and-the-great-depression/

http://ancresearch.blog.co.uk/2013/05/17/mr-churchill-mr-baruch-16006097/

Krupski
09-23-2014, 12:07 PM
And many of the movers and shakers in the financial world follow that religion.
Do you expect them not to observe their holy days?

http://suzieqq.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/how-a-group-of-international-bankers-engineered-the-1929-crash-and-the-great-depression/

http://ancresearch.blog.co.uk/2013/05/17/mr-churchill-mr-baruch-16006097/

Lots of people know about the shenanigans that went on in the 1930's which started the slow and steady decline of our Country. It's just not politically correct to talk about it.

As far as "observing a holy day", I wonder how many Jews are going to be forgiving debts? :lool: A Jew let go of MONEY? NEVER!!!

5.56NATO
09-23-2014, 12:21 PM
They're betting that you're going to lose your investments, not them theirs.
So if they make it happen, well, there you are.

Kadmos
09-23-2014, 12:26 PM

I knew it started this year, I have no idea what 5.56 is talking about. Shemittah is just the "7th year", Jewish farmers in Israel let their fields go fallow, and there are specials laws concerning this, and the usage of any food grown.

My understanding is it's become mostly obsolete, the rabbinical courts made rulings that Jewish farmers could sell their land to a non-Jew for the year (it reverts back automatically) and continue to farm. Seems like cheating to me, but I get it may be a necessity, and, well, I don't make the rules.

Don't recall it being any more than that, no collapse of society or anything, just a year of fallow fields.

N/A
09-23-2014, 12:54 PM
And every 7th Shemitah is the Shemitah leading up to Jubilee year

Kadmos
09-23-2014, 01:10 PM
And every 7th Shemitah is the Shemitah leading up to Jubilee year

Yep, the Yovel, forgiveness of debts, freeing of slaves.

No one owes me money, I doubt Visa will wipe out the little debt I have, and I never have owned a slave....kind of a non-event for me ;)

N/A
09-23-2014, 01:19 PM
I don't suppose you could let the yard and hedges go for the year, just to hedge your bets on observance?

Kadmos
09-23-2014, 01:34 PM
I don't suppose you could let the yard and hedges go for the year, just to hedge your bets on observance?

I rent. But the city would come and mow if it wasn't taken care of, I believe they charge by the buttload.

The whole farming thing only applies to land in Israel, Jewish farmers in other countries will still farm.

studmuffin
09-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Is it in any way related to the shamwow or the shiwala car mop.

Kadmos
09-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Is it in any way related to the shamwow or the shiwala car mop.

Nope, although both trace their roots far into ancient times, the Shamwow goes back the the Aztecs where one cleaned messes by inverting a Llama and using it to sop up spilled liquids.

The shiwala was a later Arabic tradition, where after using the left hand to remove excess fecal matter from ones anus after defecating it was wiped on the households youngest female over the age of puberty, so she would know her place in society. This led to the invention of the Burka, an attempt by the females to avoid direct contact with the fecal matter. Eventually the Arabs gave up and figured other ways to shame and control their women, but yet the Burka remains.

Krupski
09-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Yep, the Yovel, forgiveness of debts, freeing of slaves.

No one owes me money, I doubt Visa will wipe out the little debt I have, and I never have owned a slave....kind of a non-event for me ;)

Actually I've been considering giving it a try.

https://notdiscovery.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/slavery-gets-shit-done11.jpg

Krupski
09-23-2014, 02:46 PM
I rent. But the city would come and mow if it wasn't taken care of, I believe they charge by the buttload.

The whole farming thing only applies to land in Israel, Jewish farmers in other countries will still farm.

My friend are you nuts??? You rent???

Every month you are throwing away equity that could be YOURS and instead giving it to your LANDLORD.

When the mortgages on his properties are paid off, the landlord will be sitting pretty. You will just be... a tenant.

Krupski
09-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Nope, although both trace their roots far into ancient times, the Shamwow goes back the the Aztecs where one cleaned messes by inverting a Llama and using it to sop up spilled liquids.

The shiwala was a later Arabic tradition, where after using the left hand to remove excess fecal matter from ones anus after defecating it was wiped on the households youngest female over the age of puberty, so she would know her place in society. This led to the invention of the Burka, an attempt by the females to avoid direct contact with the fecal matter. Eventually the Arabs gave up and figured other ways to shame and control their women, but yet the Burka remains.

At first I thought this was a joke... but thinking about it, it's probably true.

On a similar note, when I was a kid in the 1960's of course the Russians were the "bad people" and "dirt poor" because of "communism".

So my dad used to tell me that in Russia, they always had a shortage of toilet paper. So, to conserve it they would remove one sheet, fold it twice (into a smaller square) then tear off a small corner, leaving a hole in the center of the sheet.

Then they would slide their finger through the hole, wipe their ass and finally use the little pointed piece they tore off to clean the shit from under their fingernail.

Sad thing is, I believed it.

Kadmos
09-23-2014, 05:51 PM
My friend are you nuts??? You rent???

Every month you are throwing away equity that could be YOURS and instead giving it to your LANDLORD.

When the mortgages on his properties are paid off, the landlord will be sitting pretty. You will just be... a tenant.

Special circumstance.

I divorced in 08 right before the crash, so I made a nice profit on the house, my ex ended up a bit screwed over, but whatever. After that it was the wrong time to buy anyway. Nor did I want to deal with household crap on my own. Thought about a condo, but again, not the best time to buy.

I moved into part of a duplex that's owned by my family right after the divorce, it was supposed to be temporary, a good spot for me to figure my next move, and good for the family so it wasn't unoccupied when the rise of copper thievery started.

As the market stuff dragged on I got kinda settled in, since it has a mortgage still, I kick in rent, a rather small rent. Eventually whatever equity it ends up with will go to me or my brother anyway.

On a side note, I'm not convinced owning is all that much better anyway, you become responsible for so much more, add in property tax, repairs and upgrades, interest, and that fact that housing prices aren't apparently as stable as they once were....for a single guy, I'm not sure it makes sense, unless you have a lot of stuff, or hobbies that are space hogs or noisy.