PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do....

American Rage
10-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Let's talk financial survival.

In the next three to six months, I'll probably buy my first home. The problem comes as to which type of home I should buy.

My hometown is conservative, and there are a lot of cheap, small, older homes nearby that are perfectly safe. We're talkin' $60-80k. OTOH, literally 2 miles to the east, I can start finding acreages starting out at $100k and going up.

And here is the kicker, I can buy cheap and save a bundle in mortgage payments, taxes, utilities and gasoline. I'll be dependent on the city for water, electricity and such, but I'll have plenty of money for stockpiling food and such, if the shtf. Or, just as likely, to pay for my exploding utility, property, and gasoline taxes as promised by Obama. Still, I'd be in very good financial shape, regardless of what Obama does. Only with the threat of total collapse would I be endangered.

If I move east, I'll have no water bill (I'll be on a well and septic system), or trash bill (burn your own), but the property taxes (land tax is cheap), mortgage, and gasoline expenses will be higher, not ot mention the cost of a riding lawn mower. In my price range, I'll have to buy a "fixer upper." And with the added expenses mentioned above, I might not be able to fix it up immediately. In other words, I'll probably have to wait 5-10 years before remodeling the house the way I want it.

In the meantime, if the shtf, I'd have water and land to grow my own food, and the countryside would seem to be safer than the cities. Still, if gas or taxes go so high that I can't afford to drive to work or pay the property taxes, how's the acreage going to help me then? On the contrary, it would hurt me due to the added costs of upkeep and transportation.

Right now, prices and interest rates are down. So, if I buy an acreage for say $100k, I might be able to make a killing on it later should I decide to sale.

What to do, what to do.

Let's hear your opinions. Cheaper home: more money in my pocket, but more dependent on the city vs. acreage home: less money in my pocket, but more independence for when the shtf?

Another Q, how far would you be willing to drive to work? I ask because I looked at and turned down a place that was 25 miles from where I work, and recently I came across a place that was 20 miles from work. Right now, I'm a little under 10 miles from where I work. I think distance needs to be a concern b/c the instability of gasoline prices, especially while the commies are in control. My truck gets 16 city, 24 highway.

Finally, would anyone consider living on a "main street" if it were far into the countryside? I've seen several homes for sale on a major street, often they are very nice. Still, they are so far out in the country side, it doesn't feel like a major city street. (Oh, and most of thjose homes are gated too.) Yeah, I can just imagine the hoardes of starving walking right past my place when zombie time strikes.

Rage

ubersoldate
10-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Its hard to say what based on I have no idea whats in your market deal wise, but I do know that we are seeing some amazing deals on property and houses.

Our house just went into escrow last week. It was sold in 97 for $297k.
Its on a little over 3 acres, 4000 ft elevation, pine forest, heavily wooded area, 1600sq ft house.

We paid cash, they ate the closing costs, and we walked with $104.

The deals are out there, and we probably wont see them like it is now for a long time.

If possible I would get land, but land with a house on it. That way you can work it untill its time to sell.
Im thinking the prices will go back up starting in Nov, seems that when the Rs start getting power, wallets open again and the economy starts moving..Go figure.
I know real estate people will tell you thats not the case, but from what Ive dealt with, they have no real clue on the market either.

As for the drive, It all depends on the quality of life. Id rather have a real nice house, private, on some property and spend a hour a day commuting, than live in a city, and drive ten minutes to work.

Either way good luck, this was my first house, and it was beyong stressfull....I think I aged ten years!
And the MOVE is in three weeks..

Then the remodel....

American Rage
10-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the advice, uber.

OH COME ON GUYS! LET'S HAVE SOME INPUT HERE!

Thanks to all for at least checkin' the thread out.

Rage

ubersoldate
10-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Yea seriously, this is gunsnet, where people post opinion, ABOUT opinions!

I would love to see where this goes..

HDR
10-03-2010, 08:51 PM
As for the drive, It all depends on the quality of life. Id rather have a real nice house, private, on some property and spend a hour a day commuting, than live in a city, and drive ten minutes to work.

I'm hidden away about 24 miles from work; I've been looking at another place which is smaller but fancy built with Hardy Plank siding and all wood inside plus higher up also. No view to die for as there is here; however in winter the wind really roars up here..

Lots to think about..

ubersoldate
10-03-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm hidden away about 24 miles from work; I've been looking at another place which is smaller but fancy built with Hardy Plank siding and all wood inside plus higher up also. No view to die for as there is here; however in winter the wind really roars up here..

Lots to think about..

I think Ive got a job lined up for the first of the year from the sounds of it, and its about 35 miles down the hill from me. I think my biggest issue is I need to get another 4x4 in the works due to the snow, but Im with ya, the farther out one can be, and still make it to work is definetly something to think about!

How much land are you sitting on HDR?

NewbieAKguy
10-03-2010, 11:23 PM
I wish I could help you out bro. I'd be just as perplexed as you are. Heck, I've impulse thought about doing the same thing; selling my current home and getting something something outside town limits/in the country while the rates and prices are for the taking. If me and the wife had a few less bills to worry about I'd seriously look into it. Guess you just need to crunch some numbers and see which comes out better and what costs you'd be willing to absorb by being isolated, i.e. gas to get to/from work and whatnot.

I guess I have to be cliched and ask which is the better investment value, or I guess cost to return ratio? Might have to look into getting a beater 4 cyl. to get to work most days, weather permitting and so on. Mower you can prob get good deal in classifieds or whatever....people trying to get some cash like people selling of firearms they bought during obamanation's election. As for remodeling if you decide country, trust me, there'll be TONS of time for remodeling :laugh:. Ask me how I know :).

I guess your most valued opinion should come from your significant other.....can't remember if you're married or not, sorry :D. I'm more than happy to help you brainstorm more, just let me/us know.

El Jefe
10-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm in the process of looking for a place in the woods. I'd like to have around 20 - 30 acres. I've had to make a compromise with the wife so she'd go along with all this. We will continue to live here in town while the boys are in school, and I'm going to build a cabin on the place out in the boonies. If I could only go with one location, and if I was making the call by myself, I'd opt for the place in the country. You could always get a little hooptie that gets good mileage to drive back and forth to work. As you know Rage, everything is a compromise of some sort. :)

American Rage
10-04-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm in the process of looking for a place in the woods. I'd like to have around 20 - 30 acres. I've had to make a compromise with the wife so she'd go along with all this. We will continue to live here in town while the boys are in school, and I'm going to build a cabin on the place out in the boonies. If I could only go with one location, and if I was making the call by myself, I'd opt for the place in the country. You could always get a little hooptie that gets good mileage to drive back and forth to work. As you know Rage, everything is a compromise of some sort. :)

Yes, everything is a compromise.

We'll see what happens in the long run.

Rage

El Jefe
10-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Yes, everything is a compromise.

We'll see what happens in the long run.

Rage

Well with whatever you end up doing, good luck with it.

Charliebravo
10-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I'd move outside of town with a few acres. I'd love to do that, but I'm in the middle of D/FW, so "outside of town with acreage" is at least an hour drive. You'll be in a win-win situation. Either the market bounces back and you can sell it for a killing, or everything goes tits-up and you'll be glad you're out of the city. Either way, you win.

American Rage
10-07-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm still mauling it over in my mind.

I know where I can get a 1700' house on 2 acres with 3 outbuildings (one is 3 sided RV cover, one is a 300-400' shop, and one is a small barn on the back acre) for $100K.

The problem is that it's on a major road leading out of the city (20 miles from the State Capitol). Right now, traffic out there is very slow and with few cars. But, in a shtf, I could see multitudes headed my way.

That seems to be a bit of a drawback.

On the other hand, if I buy a cheaper place in the city, I'm fucked anyway should the shtf.

And only if the s does not htf, and we only suffer through economic recession, mild or severe, the smaller home would save me on mortgage, taxes, insurance, and gasoline. That savings could go toward food.

Which brings me full circle, and right back to the acreage, b/c I could grow my own food if necessary. Did I mention that the acreage is about 80% fenced off, and could easily be totally fenced off and gated? A downside is that it's 100% electric.

Hmmmmmm,

What to do, what to do......

Rage

ubersoldate
10-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Land.

HDR
10-07-2010, 06:31 PM
I think Ive got a job lined up for the first of the year from the sounds of it, and its about 35 miles down the hill from me. I think my biggest issue is I need to get another 4x4 in the works due to the snow, but Im with ya, the farther out one can be, and still make it to work is definetly something to think about!

How much land are you sitting on HDR?

Here is about the same meaning an AWD or 4WD needs aggressive tires to get in or out. The road in and out is wicked and if you slide off; well, the trees will stop you from enjoying a 60 to 80 degree slope.

Not that much land just a couple of acres of which even less is usable due to the steepness. OTOH, I can butt slide into the back of a park so there's a few thousand there. On my property there is a step where I can shoot however maybe 100'. I'm sorry to say I've gotten real good at reading angles and compensating for them, lol. The good news is a neighbor down in the hollow below has a 100 yard range.

Sorry it took me so long to answer; there's been lot's of family stuff happening.

ubersoldate
10-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Here is about the same meaning an AWD or 4WD needs aggressive tires to get in or out. The road in and out is wicked and if you slide off; well, the trees will stop you from enjoying a 60 to 80 degree slope.

Not that much land just a couple of acres of which even less is usable due to the steepness. OTOH, I can butt slide into the back of a park so there's a few thousand there. On my property there is a step where I can shoot however maybe 100'. I'm sorry to say I've gotten real good at reading angles and compensating for them, lol. The good news is a neighbor down in the hollow below has a 100 yard range.

Sorry it took me so long to answer; there's been lot's of family stuff happening.

No worries, hope everyone is ok.

Bordering national forest is nice I bet, Im gonna find out myself in a few weeks!

HDR
10-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Rage,
Buy what you want and be careful with the fixer uppers.

As a bud learned spraying bleach on a popcorn ceiling removes water stains. Apparently the owner was trying to sell it before being foreclosed. As foreclosures are cheap and purchased "as is" they have a nice looking new metal roof now.

As far as a "bug out" location; I live in one. Plan on a 4WD or an AWD with clearance; either needs aggressive tires.
Private dirt road so no plows or county maintenance. When weather takes the power out; there aren't many houses here so we are low priority. You can't get cable and too many trees to get HD satellite.
Even though private companies pick garbage up; the last one the neighbors and I suckered into it canceled us after one winter..Well, he said he used 4WD trucks and after seeing the tires we all smiled.. lol.

At times it can be a pain in the ass. Then there is the beauty of seeing for a few miles or clouds filling the valleys when you're doing dishes.
;)
Do what is right for you and you won't go wrong.

American Rage
10-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Rage,
Buy what you want and be careful with the fixer uppers.

As a bud learned spraying bleach on a popcorn ceiling removes water stains. Apparently the owner was trying to sell it before being foreclosed. As foreclosures are cheap and purchased "as is" they have a nice looking new metal roof now.

As far as a "bug out" location; I live in one. Plan on a 4WD or an AWD with clearance; either needs aggressive tires.
Private dirt road so no plows or county maintenance. When weather takes the power out; there aren't many houses here so we are low priority. You can't get cable and too many trees to get HD satellite.
Even though private companies pick garbage up; the last one the neighbors and I suckered into it canceled us after one winter..Well, he said he used 4WD trucks and after seeing the tires we all smiled.. lol.

At times it can be a pain in the ass. Then there is the beauty of seeing for a few miles or clouds filling the valleys when you're doing dishes.
;)
Do what is right for you and you won't go wrong.

My house will be my bugout shelter as I believe in bugging in. The roads are all paved around here, even the one leading to the property. Still, I've got some nice All Terrains on my truck.

There's a cattle ranch behind the acreage, and about a 1/4 of a mile down the road, the guy has buffalo! Seriously.

Rage

HDR
10-07-2010, 10:57 PM
My house will be my bugout shelter as I believe in bugging in. The roads are all paved around here, even the one leading to the property. Still, I've got some nice All Terrains on my truck.

There's a cattle ranch behind the acreage, and about a 1/4 of a mile down the road, the guy has buffalo! Seriously.

Rage

"If and when" such a doubt able event would happen I'm not going any where either. I have food, shelter, a stream in the hollow, etc. I know how to set up fighting positions, the terrain is excellent for that shit and the neighbors hunt or shoot.

Paved roads means you actually get something for your taxes which doesn't happen here in NC.

Sounds as if you like something.. ;) Listen to advice but choose for you.

A family moved in here with a 2WD pickup and a VW Bug. They loved the view..

I have chains just in case. lol.. Even if I have no plans on it I have this "thing" about being capable of getting out.. ;)

American Rage
10-07-2010, 11:33 PM
"If and when" such a doubt able event would happen I'm not going any where either. I have food, shelter, a stream in the hollow, etc. I know how to set up fighting positions, the terrain is excellent for that shit and the neighbors hunt or shoot.

Paved roads means you actually get something for your taxes which doesn't happen here in NC.

Sounds as if you like something.. ;) Listen to advice but choose for you.

A family moved in here with a 2WD pickup and a VW Bug. They loved the view..

I have chains just in case. lol.. Even if I have no plans on it I have this "thing" about being capable of getting out.. ;)

Understood. My biggest fear is that all taxes will rise to the point where I wont be able to afford the house or make the drive to work. Also, if I get laid off, the acreage would be a lot harder to pay for. Can't get it out of my head and flip back and forth daily.

Rage

HDR
10-08-2010, 05:47 PM

Bordering national forest is nice I bet, Im gonna find out myself in a few weeks!

Thanks..

Nice if you like snakes and bears, LOL. The neighborhood is on a no access side; the terrain is steep so not many hikers go that far. So just game trails etc and no sign of man for decades.

Understood. My biggest fear is that all taxes will rise to the point where I wont be able to afford the house or make the drive to work. Also, if I get laid off, the acreage would be a lot harder to pay for. Can't get it out of my head and flip back and forth daily.

Rage

To support themselves in the style they've grown accustomed to enjoying State taxes will go up.

The market here is filled with houses for sale; it is almost as if there is a sign around every bend in the road. It is a buyer's market; don't forget that..

No one can advise you here. Where I work seems to be holding up.

Higher taxes and uncertain jobs that was some doom and gloom talk; it is the new welcome to 0bama's America.

Mark Ducati
10-28-2010, 05:24 PM
I vote to move to land with acreage... this all depends on your own personal SHTF meter... being a member of the site and posting in the survival forum, you're probably above 50%... ME, I rate my SHTF meter at 90% (whereas I may estimate Printerman and all of his conspiracy theories to be at 150%)...

Get your own acreage... short run, you'll be happier with the city home, long run (kids/grandkids) you'll be happier with the land... Land, they're not making any more! Haven't you heard?

NewbieAKguy
11-04-2010, 03:42 AM
Make a decision yet?

shorthair
11-04-2010, 06:05 AM
I would go for the land now. When your older and less able to care for the land it will be worth more. Then you could sell and by down and be very comfortable later.

You might turn that grass into garden and grow enough for you and sell the rest or give it away. But I would always have something growing in the garden even if it's only manure crop.

El Laton Caliente
11-04-2010, 06:23 AM
I sort of did both. I bought so far out in the country I have low taxes and cheap acreage, but I parked my RV blocks from work. Then again I work "on the road" most of the time so I go home when I get time off. I like it, but it isn't for everyone...

American Rage
11-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Make a decision yet?

No, I haven't. I know the house that was a good deal is out for several different reasons.

The house with land seems to be both a bit out of my price range, and a bit our to my driveing range as well.

I'm holding fast.

Rage

NewbieAKguy
11-04-2010, 10:50 PM
No, I haven't. I know the house that was a good deal is out for several different reasons.

The house with land seems to be both a bit out of my price range, and a bit our to my driveing range as well.

I'm holding fast.

Rage

I totally understand what you're going through. Keep searching, and I'm sure you'll find your home soon enough.:thumbsup:

sksAL
11-19-2010, 12:59 PM

I'm holding fast.

Rage

im in the same position, in my area 3-4 bdr homes can be found for 30-50k. everything is .25 cents on the $1. im just looking for the best deal to "pull the trigger" on. im gonna pay cash tho, i can get a loan later or aquire equity at sale. great time to buy something now.

ubersoldate
11-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Im running into a similar situation. I purchased my land and home, on the outskirts of a small town ( less than 3000 people )

There is no work where I am at, so I have to travel 45 min one way to get to work, and when it snows, it will take longer.
Gas is expsensive here, and the pay isnt the best.

But the privacy we have on my land, and just beauty of the forest, thats MINE makes up for all of it.
Wouldnt change a thing.
The drive doesnt doesnt seem so bad.

Its just different than Im used to, but we humans adapt, and again, the love of working on your own land is a great thing!

If it wasnt for this recession and housing collapse, I would not have been able to get my home/land for the cost I got it.
So for those of us who didnt overextend outselves, this is a great time to buy, as I wont see prices like this again when it turns around.

Solidus-snake
11-19-2010, 02:44 PM
I know how your feeling rage.

Ive been in my new house for about 2 months now. Its in a like, 18 house minisubdivision, very close to town but its only a 3 minute drive to work which is a mega savings on gas.

Got it for 85k, really nice smaller home with a full basement. Not the best location at all for shtf.

But we got the house thru a govloan,which paid 100% so no down payment needed, but it had many requirements regarding features of the house (ex central heatn air, perfect roof) so no fixers allowed, had to be immediatly ready to move into. Bonus is the loans got a 4.75 interest rate with all extra monies going to the prinipal

Despite the location and lack of land, we truly love the place. Not bad having your own house at 21 :)

Good luck with your search man. Just keep your eyes open and youll find somethin.

swampdragon
11-20-2010, 03:20 PM
... Not bad having your own house at 21 :)

Not bad?
Hell.
That's GREAT man!
Learning early in life to stop tossing money down the toilet every month renting something you will never own and/or can never sell, is awesome.
It takes some people forever to figure that out.
:thumbsup:

raxar
11-20-2010, 06:52 PM
I would go with the land, I hate living in town. I would also suggest that rather than buying a riding lawnmower you look into getting a few female goats, they keep everything very well trimmed, don't make any noise or smell bad, plus theres no gas to buy and if things get really bad they grill up real good.

HDR
11-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Got it for 85k, really nice smaller home with a full basement. Not the best location at all for shtf.

SHTF is not authorized in Kentucky.

But we got the house thru a govloan,which paid 100% so no down payment needed, but it had many requirements regarding features of the house (ex central heatn air, perfect roof) so no fixers allowed, had to be immediatly ready to move into.

Those requirements are good ones.

Despite the location and lack of land, we truly love the place.

You and the family are happy; enjoy as shtf isn't coming soon anyhow. ;)

Not bad having your own house at 21 :)

Nope not bad at all.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good luck with your search man. Just keep your eyes open and youll find somethin.[/QUOTE]

ubersoldate
11-20-2010, 09:19 PM
look into getting a few female goats, they keep everything very well trimmed, don't make any noise or smell bad, plus theres no gas to buy and if things get really bad they grill up real good.

Do they clear snow?
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs561.ash2/148388_177019945643547_100000066272530_614799_1551 816_n.jpg

Uncle Scary
11-21-2010, 05:35 AM

I was in Williams and Flagstaff just last week. Where you movin' to?

raxar
11-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Do they clear snow?

no, but you could probably hook them up to a sleigh...

ubersoldate
11-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Scary, Im in Arnold, up hwy4 in the sierra nevada..

Loving it, but its interesting, Ive gotten over 2ft of snow in the last 24 hours, and I guess the real storm hasnt hit us!
Snappin on my snow shoes here in a second to do some hiking...Beautifull up here!

Gunner1558
12-27-2010, 05:49 PM
I guess if you can manage, I'd get the place in town for the lowest cost, then a small parcel of land (20 to 50) acres out in the boonies, and build as money became available.