PDA

View Full Version : In need of a crockpot chili recipe

Partisan1983
10-05-2014, 09:42 AM
I have some brisket that needs to be used.

I know you southerns and you westerners make some awesome chili.

It needs to be a crockpot recipe.

I thank you all in advance.

El Laton Caliente
10-05-2014, 11:02 AM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/texas-style-chili-recipe.html#!

That is pretty close to what I do, but I cook by taste and what is in the pantry...

I generally use paste type bullion, the canned and boxed stock is too deluded for my taste.

Make sure it is MEXICAN Oregano or you end up with spaghetti sauce. It tastes different.

Lose the sour cream. Sour cream topping on Mexican food was invented by Taco Bell to cover the taste of their crap. Sour cream enchiladas are the only sour cream use I remember from my youth.

Monterrey Jack, Mexican White Cheese or Cheddar make a good topping also.

Stay away from bottled hot sauces like Tabasco, it just does not add the right flavor. Stay away from pickled peppers also. The vinegar in both effect the flavor.

Do some research on the varieties of dried peppers you find in the Mexican spice section. These can be reconstituted with hot water and run through a blender. Warning, they range from mild to hotter than hell. The dried red peppers add a red chili flavor that is great.

Don't be afraid to up the spice adjustment by adding even more chili powder. Also there are two kinds of chili powder. The spice mix used to flavor you pot of chili and powdered dried peppers. In making Texas chili, use the standard spice mix chili powder in the recipe, but you can add the powdered chili peppers in place of fresh peppers, dried blended peppers or canned peppers.

Something else to try is green chili stew made from New Mexico green chilies and both meat and potatoes.

Sherman
10-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Go look for Chili Cook off recipes online. The winner usually has to post the winning recipe. That's what I do. Add a little here and there to get it to my liking. Cheating? Nope, I am not a very good cook and need all the help I can get.

El Duce
10-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Shelby's makes a pretty good off the shelf chili starter. You can finish is as you like.

Partisan1983
10-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Thank you guys!

My google-Fu was failing me...and chili isn't exactly a popular dish around these parts.

My next question is, how should I cut up/prepare the leftover (raw/whole) brisket?

Should I leave the fat on or cut it off?

Do I put it through a grinder? Or just cut it up into little chunks?

Again I thank you all.

El Duce
10-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Thank you guys!

My google-Fu was failing me...and chili isn't exactly a popular dish around these parts.

My next question is, how should I cut up/prepare the leftover (raw/whole) brisket?

Should I leave the fat on or cut it off?

Do I put it through a grinder? Or just cut it up into little chunks?

Again I thank you all.

Depends on what you want to do with it. Brisket by nature is a tough piece of meat. It only gets tender by a low and slow cooking process. You could grille it or smoke it. But, cut it thing so that you can eat it. Leave the fat on. It is flavor. If you cut it up, would make some good bbq. Just season it, sear it, cover it with a bit of low salt chicken stock. When it is about tender (and there is still liquid in the pot) add some of your favorite bbq sauce.

El Duce
10-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Oh, and we are having deer chili tonight because of this thread. We tried something new that the wife got at the store. We are using something by Cookwell and company. It is everything in a jar. Sear the meat, add sauce and it isn't too bad. Though I did add some diced onion in the mix and added some extra cumin and coriander.

El Duce
10-06-2014, 04:20 PM
This was the stuff that we used. Only bought it because it was on sale at the grocery store.
http://www.cookwell.net/shop/two-step-chili-mix/

Plus we also added ranch and kidney beans.

JTHunter
10-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Partisan - not exactly chili but here's a recipe that is equally good hot or cold. It's great on a hot summer day and you pull a bowl of this out of the fridge and either use corn chips or a spoon and enjoy a beer with it.
Mod it how you want - I did from the original recipe.