PDA

View Full Version : More States Allowing Guns in Bars and Restaurants

Gunreference1
10-03-2010, 07:36 PM
More States Allowing Guns in Bars and Restaurants

By MALCOLM GAY
Published: October 3, 2010

NASHVILLE — Happy-hour beers were going for $5 at Past Perfect, a cavernous bar just off this city’s strip of honky-tonk restaurants and tourist shops when Adam Ringenberg walked in with a loaded 9-millimeter pistol concealed in the front pocket of his gray slacks.

Mr. Ringenberg, a technology consultant, is one of the state’s nearly 300,000 handgun-permit holders who have recently seen their rights greatly expanded by a controversial new law — one of the nation’s first — that allows them to carry loaded firearms into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/us/04guns.html

Steve

abpt1
10-03-2010, 07:39 PM
More States Allowing Guns in Bars and Restaurants

By MALCOLM GAY
Published: October 3, 2010

NASHVILLE — Happy-hour beers were going for $5 at Past Perfect, a cavernous bar just off this city’s strip of honky-tonk restaurants and tourist shops when Adam Ringenberg walked in with a loaded 9-millimeter pistol concealed in the front pocket of his gray slacks.

Mr. Ringenberg, a technology consultant, is one of the state’s nearly 300,000 handgun-permit holders who have recently seen their rights greatly expanded by a controversial new law — one of the nation’s first — that allows them to carry loaded firearms into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/us/04guns.html

Steve

thats a bad idea...

gewehr44
10-04-2010, 03:30 AM
thats a bad idea...

Do you have any stats that back that up? I generally have no problem with non-drinkers carrying (concealed) in a restaurant or bar. Assuming the map the NY Times has is correct, there are only 5 states that have shall-issue permits that do not allow carry in those locations at all. (WI, IL, HI, & most of CA have few or no permits). Are there more reported problems in those states than in others? Whenever I read about a shootout at a bar, the person is almost always someone without a permit or has come back to the bar to exact revenge for some earlier incident.

Richard Simmons
10-04-2010, 08:48 AM
As of 7/1/10 Virginians with concealed carry permits have been able to carry a firearm in places that serve alcoholic beverages. We've had open carry for years and in fact you could open carry and drink. The new law prohibits consuming while carrying concealed and so far I've only seen where one guy was charged with breaking the law. Evidently he ordered a pizza and a beer and when he went to pay they saw his concealed firearm and called the cops.

There have been no shootings/murders/killing sprees, etc., since the new law was passed even though that's all the liberals could talk about leading up to July.

AKTexas
10-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Texas CHL allows carry in restaurants that sells alcohol provided the percentage of alcohol sold is less than 50% of the overall revenue.

old Grump
10-04-2010, 09:38 AM
“That’s not cool in my book,” Art Andersen, 44, said as he nursed a Coors Light at Sam’s Sports Bar and Grill near Vanderbilt University (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/v/vanderbilt_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org). “It opens the door to trouble. It’s giving you the right to be Wyatt Earp.” With an IQ like his then for him carrying a weapon anywhere is a bad idea. I wonder what he thinks about drinking his lunch then driving to work. "It's his right", he will say. Some people need a keeper for their own protection. Wyatt Earp, :laugh: Way to much American History learned on fictional TV shows.

AKTexas
10-04-2010, 09:48 AM
With an IQ like his then for him carrying a weapon anywhere is a bad idea. I wonder what he thinks about drinking his lunch then driving to work. "It's his right", he will say. Some people need a keeper for their own protection. Wyatt Earp, :laugh: Way to much American History learned on fictional TV shows.

More like Doc Holiday...