PDA

View Full Version : .22 Caliber Type Of Ammo?

recon
10-15-2014, 11:00 AM
HP,FMJ and which grain is best to have? Same goes for .22 mag.

Sergi762
10-15-2014, 04:58 PM
That depends on what you want to do with it. For varmint hunting in 22LR I like CCI velocitors, though I use a ruger 10/22 so you may get better accuracy with a bolt action. for plinking, CCI minimags are a pleasure though any bulk buy will work. Haven't tried the Winchester M22 but from what I hear its intended for guns like the 22LR AR rifles and the like, and works well in them. Thunderduds are named for a reason but they do sometimes work. 'Never personally tried the Aguila offerings but I know those who do use it and it's particularly dirty ammo. As for HP versus solids I can't say without know what you want to do. I've noticed that the higher velocity rounds do tend to have less that 40 grains of weight.
But this is only my opinion and like any opinion it could be wrong. I am under no illusion that I am an authority, just a dabbler.

Schuetzenman
10-15-2014, 05:09 PM
CCI any type and Winchesters and Federal are good. Remington does have some turds they make Thunderbolts (a.k.a. Thunderturds) are very unreliable crap. I do like Remington Sub Sonics that are HP bullets in my suppressed Ruger Pistol. As Sergi stated what your intended use is tempers what is best. A good all around load are CCI Mini-Mags. Some say H.P. bullets but I've killed a lot of Squirrels and a few Rabbits with solid nose .22 L.R. solid lead rounds, 1 shot kills btw. SSI Stingers are great high speed HP rounds that shoot pretty damn flat.

alismith
10-15-2014, 05:16 PM
First off, with the .22 LR ammo shortage, any .22 ammo you can get is good to have.

As far as HP goes, I really haven't noticed much difference between them and RN bullets. I'm guessing if you hit soft targets, the HP won't open up that much anyway. Hard targets may get more drastic results.

As far as noticing a difference in performance, I have had good results with all of them. For small game, any LR bullet should be sufficient. For larger game, dog-sized or a little smaller, .22 Mag is reccommended.

Shorts and CB caps are great for rats.