PDA

View Full Version : So, how is everyone's (survival) workout regimen going?

El Jefe
10-04-2010, 12:52 PM
We haven't talked about this topic in a little while so I figured I'd bring it up again. Also, I think it's worth noting that keeping in good shape is just as important for surviving the rest of your life as it is helping you make it through a SHTF scenario.

Me, I'm walking 5 or 6 days a week and doing my core strength exercises plus my stretches. I walk 3 days a week with the wife, and that route is 6.2 miles and we cover it in just under 90 minuets. The days when it's just the hound and me, I have a route I take that's right at 12 miles and takes about 3 hours and 15 minuets for me to finish.

I use the green path system here in town and it's pretty pleasant as it follows Ware's Creek, and goes past several ball fields and such. Plus there's a couple spots on the trail where you can use the restroom and fill up the water bottle.

One thing the wife isn't too keen on is over the summer I reconfigured our start and finish spot so that the last couple of hundred yards is up hill at the end, after walking 6+ miles it's a great way to finish up as it gets the calves burning a bit and gets your heart thumping good. :)

So, what's everyone else up to? :)

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Well at the moment, I'm focusing on loosing weight through extreme portion control, so when there's no food, i won;t be surprised...

As for exercise, it's time to get back into it. (been sick and unmotivated for a few weeks.) Push ups and stationary bike tonight. Then tomorrow, jogging.

El Jefe
10-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Well at the moment, I'm focusing on loosing weight through extreme portion control, so when there's no food, i won;t be surprised...

As for exercise, it's time to get back into it. (been sick and unmotivated for a few weeks.) Push ups and stationary bike tonight. Then tomorrow, jogging.

I'm really hoping that before too long I can get back to running. Right now my titanium spine doesn't like the pounding, so I walk. It sure beats nothing and I'm slightly under 195lbs again and if I can trim another 10 lbs I'll be back at what I weighed in school. (!)

The calorie intake is important too, good point. I'm eating high fiber stuff and fruit for breakfast and lunch, then whatever the wife fixes for dinner.

ubersoldate
10-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Got down to 185. Been able to stay where Im at weight wise.
Had to revamp my eating habits, but in the last week Ive had to lay off my p90 and running a few times a week due to a serious back injury I sustained at my job.

Doing my rehab/chiro twice a week, and eating healthy, but I cant excersise for another few weeks I guess.

I was wrecking the p90 though, Ill be back~!

Just going to keep the weight where its at for now...Pretty much the only thing I can do anyway.

cciota
10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
The wife and I started working out again about a week and a half ago. We have an elliptical machine and have been on it every day. The first couple of days sucked. Sure starting to feel better and my knees don't get beat up anymore than they already are. In a cuople of more weeks, I'm going to pick up some weights and get that program going. Right now we are trying to get the cardio up to par.

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-04-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm really hoping that before too long I can get back to running. Right now my titanium spine doesn't like the pounding, so I walk. It sure beats nothing and I'm slightly under 195lbs again and if I can trim another 10 lbs I'll be back at what I weighed in school. (!)

The calorie intake is important too, good point. I'm eating high fiber stuff and fruit for breakfast and lunch, then whatever the wife fixes for dinner.
Yeah, running is a B! Fortunately, I've got some nice sneakers, and I've been doing a lot of stretches and working on my technique to avoid the dreadead shin splints. Frankly, I would avoid it, but a good session on the stationary bike leaves my tail bone too sore to do it two days in a row, so I have to varry the ol' cardio. Should start skipping rope too come to think of it...

The calorie intake thing is not really by choice. I'm just verry poor and trying to make the best of the situation. Ive slimmed up considerably though. Also eating virtual zero processed food as a life habit now. Lots of fruit, veggies, and fresh meats. The whole "slow foods" thing. Works wonders! (tastes better too..)

BTW, this lifting program below gets a lot of good feedback from the ruthless bastards at http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23.

If you're looking for a good "strength oriented" weights program, this seems to be the one:
http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

I'll be starting this in a couple of months. (Moving into a place with a full weight set.)

El Jefe
10-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Got down to 185. Been able to stay where Im at weight wise.
Had to revamp my eating habits, but in the last week Ive had to lay off my p90 and running a few times a week due to a serious back injury I sustained at my job.

Doing my rehab/chiro twice a week, and eating healthy, but I cant excersise for another few weeks I guess.

I was wrecking the p90 though, Ill be back~!

Just going to keep the weight where its at for now...Pretty much the only thing I can do anyway.

Yeah back issues suck big time! Hell, the focus of just about everything I do these days is with my back in mind.

I've spent a ton of time at the sports medicine clinic these past 6 or so years, my insurance company has been real cool about paying for eveything. Those guys at the clinic know their stuff and have helped me greatly, they've tailored a workout for me to rehab my back and strengthen my core to protect against further injury. They're the ones who got me using the exercise ball, it allows me to do a lot of things that might not be a good idea on a hard floor. I even do my lifting while balanced on the beach ball. :tongue:

Good luck with the back Uber.

Warlord
10-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Doing 6 miles a day on the bike, 150 situps and 100 push ups (also sneak several sets in at work). 2 sets of standard, 1 set of diamond and 1 set of wide arm. I also do several sets of curls with 40 lb dumbells. Makes a huge difference. nice upper body strength, core and cardo. I'm not a big fan of running, too high impact don't want to pound on the joints too much. The way I look at it if I can grab my gear and hump it I'm good to go.

El Jefe
10-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Yeah, running is a B! Fortunately, I've got some nice sneakers, and I've been doing a lot of stretches and working on my technique to avoid the dreadead shin splints. Frankly, I would avoid it, but a good session on the stationary bike leaves my tail bone too sore to do it two days in a row, so I have to varry the ol' cardio. Should start skipping rope too come to think of it...

The calorie intake thing is not really by choice. I'm just verry poor and trying to make the best of the situation. Ive slimmed up considerably though. Also eating virtual zero processed food as a life habit now. Lots of fruit, veggies, and fresh meats. The whole "slow foods" thing. Works wonders! (tastes better too..)

BTW, this lifting program below gets a lot of good feedback from the ruthless bastards at http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23.

If you're looking for a good "strength oriented" weights program, this seems to be the one:
http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

I'll be starting this in a couple of months. (Moving into a place with a full weight set.)

Most people eat way more than they need, me included. I checked out the bushido site, man those dudes are nuts. :)

I have no interest in supplements and protein drinks, I just try to eat fairly well and stay is reasonable shape.

I have a set of dumb bells I use, and I'm going to get the boys a bench set for Christmas so I'll probably end up using it some too.

BigDumbGerman
10-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Staying motivated and consistent is my biggest problem. I like to procrastinate on important shit these days.

I lost 10-15 lbs (and have kept it off) by portion control and watching what I eat (either that, or it's a freakin' tapeworm). I upped the fiber and took a liking to apples and bananas. I also look for whole grains instead of white or cheap wheat in breads and cerals. Water is important too. I try to drink 2-3 quarts of ice water at work everyday.

I have three sets of dumbell handles and a barbell with some of the 1" hole standard weights. I have a cheapo bench that adjusts for incline. I don't put much weight on it. A couple years ago, the couch went away and I put in a "power tower" that has a dip station, pull-up bar and "captain's chair" for knee raises. Never been a stud at pull-ups, but they're a great exercise. I went to Iron Woody Fitness a couple months ago and got some latex assistance/resistance bands so I can push farther on pull-ups and dips.

I have trouble with running consistently. I hate it. I prefer to walk/hike/ruck. I work 5.5 miles from work and was walking with a light pack for a while, but it was a real time cruncher and then I got lazy again.

So far, keeping weight off has kept me happy. I did cut a minute and small change off my 2 mile run lately (in three weeks). Most of that was just getting off my ass 2-3 times a week and getting the bones in motion.

BDG

HDR
10-11-2010, 09:36 PM
For those who run stay on dirt or pavement etc will eat your knees. I believe the impact force is 2.84 times your body weight. Velocity and mass effect bullets and everything else. ;)

I'm 6-3 and 205; I eat like a hog and don't gave weight. Looking fit and staying fit are two different subjects. Sig thought I exercised to look "good;" nope, if I miss a meal I'll lose 3 to 5 pounds.

LAGC
10-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Sometimes I wonder if maybe we aren't doing ourselves in by focusing so much on working out. I mean, I wonder if morbidly obese people might survive longer on their huge stores of fat than skinny folks would in a SHTF scenario where food was real scarce and all. After all, fat storage is merely nature's way of storing energy for a rainy day, like bears who eat a bunch then hibernate and just live off of their fat storage. Maybe the fatties will out-live us all. :eek:

El Jefe
10-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Sometimes I wonder if maybe we aren't doing ourselves in by focusing so much on working out. I mean, I wonder if morbidly obese people might survive longer on their huge stores of fat than skinny folks would in a SHTF scenario where food was real scarce and all. After all, fat storage is merely nature's way of storing energy for a rainy day, like bears who eat a bunch then hibernate and just live off of their fat storage. Maybe the fatties will out-live us all. :eek:

Oh yeah, because having diabetes and high blood pressure never hurt anyone. :smiley_freak:

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-14-2010, 11:44 AM
A little fat is good. It's been proven that SLIGHTLY overweight people are better at surviving serious trauma. As well as the obvious benefits of having your rainy day calories in a time of famine. You starve as fast, and you might even get an extra day if dehydrated.

However, morbid obesity is literally a deadly illness and a downward spiral that makes itself worse if not countered. And it will kill you in a most slow and unpleasant fashion.

You on the other hand are a fuck mook if your seriously trying to discount the health benefits of regular cardio, flexibility, and strength training. I mean, do you read at all? Or do you just shit in public on the internet all day?

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-14-2010, 11:47 AM
I know, not much weight on the bench press, but it's better than where I was a month ago.

Plus it feels kind of good being able to throw an object that heavy with relative ease.

More weight next week! Badow!!!

El Jefe
10-14-2010, 12:05 PM
I know, not much weight on the bench press, but it's better than where I was a month ago.

Plus it feels kind of good being able to throw an object that heavy with relative ease.

More weight next week! Badow!!!

That's pretty darned good. I'm sure I couldn't do 50 reps, of 100 lbs, no way. I can get 200lbs up 4 times tho. :tongue0002:

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-14-2010, 12:21 PM
That's pretty darned good. I'm sure I couldn't do 50 reps, of 100 lbs, no way. I can get 200lbs up 4 times tho. :tongue0002:
FWIW, that's in five sets of ten.

I don't think I could doo 200lbs once right now! Probably max out around 130-150. But I'm working on it!

El Jefe
10-14-2010, 12:34 PM
FWIW, that's in five sets of ten.

I don't think I could doo 200lbs once right now! Probably max out around 130-150. But I'm working on it!

......and that's what matters at the end of the day.

AK-J
10-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm riding my bicycle 19 miles three times a week (Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday).

I am up to jogging 2 miles at a time now. My routine consists of walking about 1/2 mile, jogging 2 miles, walking another mile, jogging 2 miles back, and walking another 1/2 mile. I do this three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday).

On the same days I ride my bicycle I do 60 push-ups, three sets of 8 curls (@ 35lbs per arm now), and a bunch of other upper body and core exercises.

I'm pretty strong now, just need to lose some weight. I need to eat better, and I'm about to start the P90X program.

HDR
10-14-2010, 05:24 PM

I love that logic.