PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder. Time to rotate your water...

cciota
10-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I was just out in the garage and noticed it's about time to rotate my back-up water supply. I have 55 gallons and have the rotate dates on top of the container. I'm due to rotate it next week. I swap it out every six months. Just a reminder.

O.S.O.K.
10-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Why? Does it pick-up something from the drum?

cciota
10-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Why? Does it pick-up something from the drum?Nope. I just rotate it every six month's, like rotating food stuffs every so often. We're keepin' it fresh here, yo!

Penguin
10-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Makes sense. That way incase anything does happend grow in it or the barrel got a leak that way you know and get the problem fixed. It also keeps the water from picking up a plastic taste or tasting flat from sitting to long.

aliceinchains
10-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Little confused on the rotating. You have multiple 55 gallon drums that you rotate?

Solidus-snake
10-04-2010, 05:19 PM
How long is a per say milk jug full of tap water good for? What about bottled water?

10-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Rotating for me means dumping out the old, cleaning the inside with a bit of bleach and re-filling.
Thanks for the reminder...I've got it on my list now.

El Jefe
10-04-2010, 05:54 PM
How long is a per say milk jug full of tap water good for? What about bottled water?

http://www.ehow.com/how_4785335_jugs-emergency-water-storage-containers.html

Penguin
10-04-2010, 10:19 PM

It has been my experince that the milk jugs break down after a few months. I would use two litter soda bottles instead.

HDR
10-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Rotating for me means dumping out the old, cleaning the inside with a bit of bleach and re-filling.

Always sanitize your storage containers.

I have a well so I add bleach.

2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water
8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water
1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water
If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.

USE UNSCENTED BLEACH!!

sisyphus
10-05-2010, 11:56 PM
While you're caring for the water you have stored, it would also be wise to invest in some kind of filtration system. There are lots of makers and models, in both portable and countertop styles.

It never hurts to cover all the bases.

HDR
10-08-2010, 08:16 PM
True...

Those that remain at home might investigate rain barrels.

Vegetable gardens need water also.

Penguin
10-09-2010, 01:22 AM
While you're caring for the water you have stored, it would also be wise to invest in some kind of filtration system. There are lots of makers and models, in both portable and countertop styles.

It never hurts to cover all the bases.

I prefer katadyn.

HDR
10-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I prefer katadyn.

Where does one get the water to put in it?

I have a brook down a steep slope. The county tested it and it is ok to drink.

old Grump
10-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Don't have a lot of storage available so I keep it in my well. If they screw that up I am screwed anyway. I will go out and change the air in my tires though. I don't want to hit winter weather with old stale stinky air in my tires. :think:

Seriously it's time to winterize the vehicles and check air pressures too. Serviced the furnace because we have been dropping into the 30's at night. Nearly 80 today but that will be gone soon. Leaves are dropping like crazy from my trees.

El Jefe
10-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Where does one get the water to put in it?

I have a brook down a steep slope. The county tested it and it is ok to drink.

Creek, pond, whatever. Not all natural water sources are safe to drink from. I sure as hell wouldn't drink from any of the many rivers here in central Missouri. The springs maybe, but I don't know for a fact which are safe and which may not be. Plus even if a stream normally has clean, safe water, how do you know there isn't a dead cow in it half a mile up stream?

HDR
10-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Creek, pond, whatever. Not all natural water sources are safe to drink from. I sure as hell wouldn't drink from any of the many rivers here in central Missouri. The springs maybe, but I don't know for a fact which are safe and which may not be. Plus even if a stream normally has clean, safe water, how do you know there isn't a dead cow in it half a mile up stream?

True, but that is more a urban or suburban problem. In a real long term survival situation sooner or later you'll be drinking from streams or springs. As time marches on almost all of everyone's preparations will be used up.

As I can see where the brook comes out of the mountainside there is no upstream.. :D

El Jefe
10-09-2010, 07:22 PM
True, but that is more a urban or suburban problem. In a real long term survival situation sooner or later you'll be drinking from streams or springs. As time marches on almost all of everyone's preparations will be used up.

As I can see where the brook comes out of the mountainside there is no upstream.. :D

Yeah, that's most likely safe, most spring water is. But, if you found yourself in a different location for whatever reason, the filters could come in handy. I know I'd like to get one and keep in the truck.

hawk1911
10-09-2010, 08:56 PM
True...

Those that remain at home might investigate rain barrels.

Vegetable gardens need water also.

That is the exact thing Im working on right now since the weather is so nice out here.

swampdragon
10-12-2010, 02:06 AM
I've often thought about turning the roof of my barn into a cistern...but I've not investigated into much to honest.

El Jefe
10-12-2010, 11:54 AM
I prefer katadyn.

I ordered a Katadyn filter yesterday, I don't remember right off which one, it's for backpackers and campers. It'll be interesting to see how well it works.

binky59
04-29-2011, 05:20 PM
I was just out in the garage and noticed it's about time to rotate my back-up water supply. I have 55 gallons and have the rotate dates on top of the container. I'm due to rotate it next week. I swap it out every six months. Just a reminder.

AAAAHH Man! You mean I have to drain that waterbed again?????