PDA

View Full Version : The SEAL who killed bin Laden

Richard Simmons
11-07-2014, 06:08 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/07/disclosure-by-seal-who-says-fatally-shot-bin-laden-sparks-debate-in-special-ops/?intcmp=ob_homepage_US&intcmp=obnetwork

What do you guys think? Should he have revealed his identity?

As a veteran I understand why you keep certain things secret for a number of reasons, unit security, tactics, sources, etc. In this instance though the service member is no longer on active duty so it's not like he is taking himself out of play, so to speak. As long as he doesn't also reveal anything classified I don't see where there is anything that will harm anyone but possibly himself or his extended family through possible retaliation.

On the flip side I guess certain folks shouldn't talk about certain things. The special ops guys, from my limited experience when I was in uniform tend to be pretty tightlipped for what ever reason. Kind of the way they've always been and I can see where some colleagues, past and present may want things to stay that way. Thoughts?

l921428x
11-07-2014, 06:15 PM
I do not know the answer, but to me it just doesn't feel right. kind of shoddy or cheap.
jmo.....

Schuetzenman
11-07-2014, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't of stepped up and admitted it as I would be worried that some Muslim scumbag might come after me or my family / relatives. OTOH, money makes life better and being a retired vet I'm sure he doesn't have a lot of it.

N/A
11-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Report I heard was that he had already been outer on a website. Also heard another SEAL had already claimed he pulled the trigger on Osama.

Dan Morris
11-07-2014, 07:22 PM
I do not know the answer, but to me it just doesn't feel right. kind of shoddy or cheap.
jmo.....

Don't know about now days, in the days of yore.....I never knew a Beret that ever talked about any mission they had been on!!!! Ever.....
Dan

NAPOTS
11-07-2014, 08:54 PM
there was another article that made the guy out to be full of shit and said some of the details he provided were false.

Richard Simmons
11-07-2014, 09:12 PM
I believe Fox News is having a two night special on the guy next week. I'd like to think they vetted his story as best they could but unless another team member or the top brass is willing to come forward and either confirm or refute his claims there isn't much else you can do but take the guy at his word not run the story at all.

davepool
11-07-2014, 10:35 PM
It seems the urge to fame and fortune has taken the place of codes of honor and brotherhood....but then i'm just an out dated ,old fashion guy living in the past, and yea there's always been those few egocentric fools who just couldn't keep their fucking mouths shut,
but in the past they were shunned and not celebrated

stevelyn
11-09-2014, 11:58 PM
The real SEAL Who Shot Bin Laden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv9AUFpRGyc

All funnin' aside, bin Laden lived in infamy for 10 years as being the mastermind that pulled off the only successful direct attack on US soil since the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and getting us into a war we are unwilling to win.

Why can't the warrior that squirted bin Laden's brains out the back of his head be able to take credit for doing so? Why shouldn't we know who he is?

My only problem with it is they try to sanitize the language of the events for the leftists, sympathizers, jihadists and other kindred spirits. They didn't "neutralize the target". They blew the summbich's brains out and if the kindred spirits and their ilk don't like it we'll do the same to them.

NAPOTS
11-10-2014, 12:20 AM
I thought one of the best statements on the mission was to the affect that it didn't matter who pulled the trigger the mission was completed by a team and would not have been successful without everyone involved doing their job.

Richard Simmons
11-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Part one of the two part series about this SEAL airs tonight at 10pm EST on Fox News. They were just talking about it, apparently the folks at Fox watched it last night and said it was pretty good. Goes into the guy enlisting in the Navy because the Marine recruiter wasn't in the office that day, his training, etc. I'm planning to watch it.