PDA

View Full Version : how tight should the gas tube be?

l921428x
12-12-2014, 03:34 PM
the gas tube seems to be overly tight between the gas block and sight block, it is
to the point that I feel I am going to break the tab that locks the tube in place.
how should this be approached? it is a m-70 ab2. your thoughts appreciated.

Helen Keller
12-12-2014, 04:39 PM
if it's in fairly good shape it should take some force to close it.

you wont break that tab, i've had ak's where it took a 3lb hammer and punch to move it.

l921428x
12-12-2014, 04:43 PM
ok good. I didn't need a hammer but it took a good deal of thumb pressure.
thanx HK.

FunkyPertwee
12-12-2014, 04:52 PM
On the side of your surplus cleaning kit capsule that goes into the buttstock of most (non-Yugo) AK rifles is a small slot meant to fit the little tab on the gas tube lever. This is so that you can use the capsule as a cheater bar to open and close the clever. The capsule is a lot stronger than it looks, and shouldn't bend even you have a tight gas tube.

Escobert
12-12-2014, 06:19 PM
On the side of your surplus cleaning kit capsule that goes into the buttstock of most (non-Yugo) AK rifles is a small slot meant to fit the little tab on the gas tube lever. This is so that you can use the capsule as a cheater bar to open and close the clever. The capsule is a lot stronger than it looks, and shouldn't bend even you have a tight gas tube.

very good to know :) My 74 is easy enough to get apart but, my Maadi was a pain. that probably would have made it easier and my thumb much happier.

Schuetzenman
12-12-2014, 07:32 PM

This! Failing to have the tubular cleaning kit a small Crescent Wrench can be used to create a handle to rotate the lever with.

l921428x
12-12-2014, 08:42 PM
sorry Funky is is a underfolder. I am home so I have tools. so I don't have to dig, would the sks have a similar c/kit?
it is good info though.

FunkyPertwee
12-12-2014, 08:49 PM
...would the sks have a similar c/kit?

Yes it would. Check the buttstock for a trapdoor compartment with a small metallic cylinder contained within.

You may want to get a surplus AK cleaning capsule anyway, just to have in your kit. They're pretty cheap and can come in handy.

l921428x
12-12-2014, 08:59 PM
yeah I will.

Helen Keller
12-12-2014, 09:18 PM
underfolders when issued would have the kit in the side front of the mag pouch.