PDA

View Full Version : 12ga shotgun vs .22lr rifle?

swampdragon
07-18-2010, 02:18 AM
SHTF question....

I've been kicking around this question for a while, and can't seem to decide.
Both guns have their good and bad points.
The main goal is something for SHTF small game hunting if it actually came to that.

The 12ga...

Mossberg 930.

Pro:
It makes a great home defense weapon.
Extra barrels in longer hunting configuration are readily available.
Huge selection of various types of shells for both hunting and defense.

Cons:
Cost of shotgun.
Cost of ammo.
Weight and bulk of ammo.
Hard on my bad shoulder.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/ea72e294.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/b10d079a.jpg

Henry Survival .22lr

Pro:
Small and light weight
Collapsible (will fit inside a backpack)
Ammo is cheap and light weight.
Price of rifle is cheap.

Con:
Not much good as a defensive weapon.
I prefer dual-purpose firearms as much as possible.
Easier to miss a small animal with if it's moving and you are shaking from being really hungry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/b07ce8ce.jpg

ready
07-18-2010, 02:23 AM
I don't know about that shotgun in particular but I had a Beretta SA shotgun and it was very ammo sensitive. It didn't like to cycle alot of the lighter recoiling loads. I ended up going back to old reliable pumps.

chiak47
07-18-2010, 02:33 AM
I have a 18.5" Mossberg 835....Same thing as a 500 but mine can chamber 3.5" shells...

slugs and buck shot are expensive rounds (about $1 round)...BUT...I have a shitload of 12ga birdshot that I get for 100rds @ $20. Within 15 yards it's still effective to take off limbs seeing how I can tear 2x4's in half at that range with it.

.22lr=550 rounds @ about $20 or less...

Paladin
07-18-2010, 02:41 AM
For SHTF small game how 'bout the Savage 24C; 20ga/22 O/U? It'll keep meat in the stew pot...

swampdragon
07-18-2010, 02:53 AM
For SHTF small game how 'bout the Savage 24C; 20ga/22 O/U? It'll keep meat in the stew pot...

I thought about guns like that.
But then I also thought about being caught off guard while hunting during a SHTF scenario.
With either of the (2) guns I picked...I can still return a volley of rapid fire and run like hell.
Can really do that with single shot type guns.

swampdragon
07-18-2010, 02:56 AM
I have a 18.5" Mossberg 835....Same thing as a 500 but mine can chamber 3.5" shells...

slugs and buck shot are expensive rounds (about $1 round)...BUT...I have a shitload of 12ga birdshot that I get for 100rds @ $20. Within 15 yards it's still effective to take off limbs seeing how I can tear 2x4's in half at that range with it.

.22lr=550 rounds @ about $20 or less...

How big of a price difference is there between 12ga and 20ga shells these days?
I've not priced either in a long time.
The 22 is certainly more cost effective all the way around.

Paladin
07-18-2010, 03:05 AM
I agree...

Then make it the shotgun. You can take any critter in North America and defend yourself with it better than you can the 22. But I am hard pressed to see myself in a situation where I don't have a side arm.

chiak47
07-18-2010, 03:06 AM
How big of a price difference is there between 12ga and 20ga shells these days?
I've not priced either in a long time.

It's funny that you ask that. I went to walmart one day and grabbed a box of birdshot like I always do. You see, whenever I walk into that store I make it a habit to spend $20 on "gear".
Anyways, I have .50 cal cans that I keep my birdshot in and when I went to dump the box I had just bought into a can I noticed the shells were smaller. I looked at the box and it said 20ga. I called walmart thinking there was a shot @ returning the 20ga for 12ga and they told me no returns on ammo...

Well you can't let a good crisis go to waste so that night I went to gander mountain and bought a single shot 20ga rossi for $80 bucks or so...

See I was so used to 12ga being in that same spot for years that I didn't even look at the gauge and it was the same price (around $20 for 100 rounds)

I don't shoot it much but my boys go to my grandparents to shoot pigeons (pest control) It's light and IMO it kicks harder than the 12ga.

swampdragon
07-18-2010, 03:22 AM
It's funny that you ask that. I went to walmart one day and grabbed a box of birdshot like I always do. You see, whenever I walk into that store I make it a habit to spend $20 on "gear".
Anyways, I have .50 cal cans that I keep my birdshot in and when I went to dump the box I had just bought into a can I noticed the shells were smaller. I looked at the box and it said 20ga. I called walmart thinking there was a shot @ returning the 20ga for 12ga and they told me no returns on ammo...

Well you can't let a good crisis go to waste so that night I went to gander mountain and bought a single shot 20ga rossi for $80 bucks or so...

See I was so used to 12ga being in that same spot for years that I didn't even look at the gauge and it was the same price (around $20 for 100 rounds)

I don't shoot it much but my boys go to my grandparents to shoot pigeons (pest control) It's light and IMO it kicks harder than the 12ga.

So if they are basically the same price, then hell, I may as well go 12ga anyways then.

justinsaneok
07-18-2010, 03:23 AM
hey swampy where you live?

swampdragon
07-18-2010, 03:24 AM
I agree...

Then make it the shotgun. You can take any critter in North America and defend yourself with it better than you can the 22. But I am hard pressed to see myself in a situation where I don't have a side arm.

Yes. I have a sidearm too.
I just left that part out because I wanted opinions on the merits of the long-arms themselves for whatever it might be worth.

swampdragon
07-18-2010, 03:27 AM
hey swampy where you live?

Right here......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/scan0021.jpg

justinsaneok
07-18-2010, 03:27 AM
22 lr cause swampy doesnt have one

swampdragon
07-18-2010, 03:33 AM
22 lr cause swampy doesnt have one

I don't have a 12ga either....lol

Oh, and my place is near the Kansas/Missouri border.

NewbieAKguy
07-18-2010, 03:39 AM
What kind of small game is in your area? If mostly rabbits, squirrels, etc. I'd go for the .22lr for head shots to get every last bite of meat. But if your small game is mostly game birds, I'd go with shotgun. If you practice enough with the .22 you can get a bird on the fly or do head shots of them while on the ground. A 100rd value pack of bird loads and brick of .22s might be same, but that brick is 500 rds. Kinda like the 5.56 vs. 7.62 comparison in weight....you can carry a heck of a lot more .22s than 12 ga. Plus, I'd have to add a face full of high velocity .22s isn't something to wave off.:2cents:

Heck, the .22 would be light enough (and cheap enough I would guess) that you could carry both while foraging.

swampdragon
07-18-2010, 03:44 AM
What kind of small game is in your area? If mostly rabbits, squirrels, etc. I'd go for the .22lr for head shots to get every last bite of meat. But if your small game is mostly game birds, I'd go with shotgun. If you practice enough with the .22 you can get a bird on the fly or do head shots of them while on the ground. A 100rd value pack of bird loads and brick of .22s might be same, but that brick is 500 rds. Kinda like the 5.56 vs. 7.62 comparison in weight....you can carry a heck of a lot more .22s than 12 ga. Plus, I'd have to add a face full of high velocity .22s isn't something to wave off.:2cents:

Heck, the .22 would be light enough (and cheap enough I would guess) that you could carry both while foraging.

Rabbits, squirrel, opossum, wild turkey, quail, ducks, geese, pheasant, deer, damn. The list is really long.

NewbieAKguy
07-18-2010, 03:48 AM
Hmmmm. What about a .22lr pistol? You could scope it out too for longer shots. Dad put one on his S&W 41 (i think that's the model) and he can take head shots on squirrels pretty good.

ready
07-18-2010, 03:54 AM
There's not much you can't take out with a well placed .22. Nice and quiet, too.

chiak47
07-18-2010, 03:59 AM
Rabbits, squirrel, opossum, wild turkey, quail, ducks, geese, pheasant, deer, damn. The list is really long.

I'm glad to see that Christians did not make that list...:rotflmbao:

justinsaneok
07-18-2010, 04:06 AM
Hmmmm. What about a .22lr pistol? You could scope it out too for longer shots. Dad put one on his S&W 41 (i think that's the model) and he can take head shots on squirrels pretty good.

barrel length of a pistol wont get you up to speed

justinsaneok
07-18-2010, 04:07 AM
I'm glad to see that Christians did not make that list...:rotflmbao:

ya I was noticing a pattern.

NewbieAKguy
07-18-2010, 04:10 AM
barrel length of a pistol wont get you up to speed

Speed for what? Within 25 yards with a .22 and with right shot placement, it's going down. Probably even 50yds if you do your part. Like I've said, don't underestimate a HV .22lr.

mriddick
07-18-2010, 09:34 AM
The AR7 is a rather light duty rifle made a specific purpose, the shotgun shown is pretty stout firearm able to withstand lots of use. Between those two I'd go with the shotgun just for longivity. However I believe in most survival situations a 22 (a better 22) is going to be more helpful.

Paladin
07-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Hmmm... Kansas/Missouri.

Let me guess. The photo is looking North from your place across the cusp of the Springfield Plateau portion of the Ozark Plateau. Season is early Summer (recent photo?); the Mimosa is flowering and the Bradford has already lost it's blossom. Time; EMNT at that latitude in this season is around 0515, length of shadow says about 0800? Got cool last night with dew point around 60 degrees. What? North of Joplin is my best guess. And you know about guesses...

Moebrown20
07-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Swampy,
I say both. Grab a 12g pump and a 22lr pistol.
If you feel like it, suppress the 22

American Rage
07-18-2010, 12:02 PM
yeah, if you buy used and don't have your heart set on a certain model, you can probably buy both a 12 ga. and a .22lr.

And that's what I suggest you do. Find a used 870 Remington or Mossberg 500, and a used Marlin model 60 or Ruger 10-22.

that way, you'll have both.

Rage

O.S.O.K.
07-18-2010, 12:20 PM
I voted .22LR. Funny how the poll is now 50/50.

The way I see it:

I like the "rifle approach" to shooting things
One 12 cartridge weighs about the same as what? 50 .22LR cartridges?
The .22LR rifles are very lightweight
Everybody can shoot the .22LR well - if they can shoot at all, the 12 guage intimidates some
The .22LR cartdige costs about 3-4 cents - a 12 Guage shell 50 cents or more.

Moebrown20
07-18-2010, 12:30 PM
I voted .22LR. Funny how the poll is now 50/50.

The way I see it:

I like the "rifle approach" to shooting things
One 12 cartridge weighs about the same as what? 50 .22LR cartridges?
The .22LR rifles are very lightweight
Everybody can shoot the .22LR well - if they can shoot at all, the 12 guage intimidates some
The .22LR cartdige costs about 3-4 cents - a 12 Guage shell 50 cents or more.

Yeah, but you're forgetting the point.
This is a SHTF. Money doesn't matter.
Hunt & self defense is key.

chiak47
07-18-2010, 12:35 PM
a 12 Guage shell 50 cents or more.

OT...Are you getting buckshot for as low as 50 cents a round?
A box of 5 oo buck in my area costs 5+ bucks...I'm trying to stock it but it's not building up as fast as I would like.

abpt1
07-18-2010, 12:35 PM
SHTF question....

I've been kicking around this question for a while, and can't seem to decide.
Both guns have their good and bad points.
The main goal is something for SHTF small game hunting if it actually came to that.

The 12ga...

Mossberg 930.

Pro:
It makes a great home defense weapon.
Extra barrels in longer hunting configuration are readily available.
Huge selection of various types of shells for both hunting and defense.

Cons:
Cost of shotgun.
Cost of ammo.
Weight and bulk of ammo.
Hard on my bad shoulder.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/ea72e294.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/b10d079a.jpg

Henry Survival .22lr

Pro:
Small and light weight
Collapsible (will fit inside a backpack)
Ammo is cheap and light weight.
Price of rifle is cheap.

Con:
Not much good as a defensive weapon.
I prefer dual-purpose firearms as much as possible.
Easier to miss a small animal with if it's moving and you are shaking from being really hungry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/b07ce8ce.jpg

I have a 935 magnum I am thinking of getting rid of ...because its hell on my shoulder ... http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/81001.jpg

Paladin
07-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Swampy, I have the "bad shoulder" thing goin' on too. But I had a competent gunsmith (he used to be Scattergun Technologies before Wilson acquired it) build and tune/port an 1100/12ga to cycle low recoil buckshot. Even with my shoulder the recoil is not hurtful. And if you need to, you can still cycle full power slugs through it (ouch)...

swampdragon
07-18-2010, 02:48 PM
I have a 935 magnum I am thinking of getting rid of ...because its hell on my shoulder ...

I'm right handed, and here is my right shoulder.
I'm starting to re-think this shotgun thing.
For those of you recommending a pump shotgun...I can already tell you that is not happening.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/paint1.jpg

AK-J
07-18-2010, 05:51 PM
I voted .22lr, though maybe not that particular model. However, I completely understand the idea behind wanting it.

old Grump
07-18-2010, 06:29 PM
I shoot shotgun pretty regularly but I shoot 22 all the time. I can afford it, its good practice and I can afford it and it's fun and I can afford it. For that little feller who thinks the 22 bullet doesn't go fast enough I was shooting at 100 yards today with my S&W M41. No bragging targets but I was on paper with all of my shots.

Get the Henry and use the hell out of it, you can pick up a shotgun anytime. Or better yet get the Henry for a truck gun, another like a Marlin or Savage or Ruger for range and serious shooting and a revolver or pistol, (or one of each). I suppose you can have to many 22's but I don't see how.

swampdragon
07-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Hmmm... Kansas/Missouri.

Let me guess. The photo is looking North from your place across the cusp of the Springfield Plateau portion of the Ozark Plateau. Season is early Summer (recent photo?); the Mimosa is flowering and the Bradford has already lost it's blossom. Time; EMNT at that latitude in this season is around 0515, length of shadow says about 0800? Got cool last night with dew point around 60 degrees. What? North of Joplin is my best guess. And you know about guesses...

I'm actually on the Kansas side.
About mid-state as far as North/South goes.
Missouri border is a rock toss away.
The camera was aimed due South in the pic.
lol....

swampdragon
07-18-2010, 06:48 PM
I shoot shotgun pretty regularly but I shoot 22 all the time. I can afford it, its good practice and I can afford it and it's fun and I can afford it. For that little feller who thinks the 22 bullet doesn't go fast enough I was shooting at 100 yards today with my S&W M41. No bragging targets but I was on paper with all of my shots.

Get the Henry and use the hell out of it, you can pick up a shotgun anytime. Or better yet get the Henry for a truck gun, another like a Marlin or Savage or Ruger for range and serious shooting and a revolver or pistol, (or one of each). I suppose you can have to many 22's but I don't see how.

OK.
Here's an interesting question for ya....

Let's say just for fun that you were limited to (1) and ONLY (1) .22lr weapon and you had to make a choice....
Would you go with a pistol?
Would you go with a rifle?

Then....
"Which" pistol?
"Which" rifle?

...and why?

In other words, if you had to pick quality over quantity?

Paladin
07-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Like I said, so much for guessing...lol

Paladin
07-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Rifle, Anschutz 1416D.

Why? Well if I can only have one .22LR it might as well be this particular rifle I've always wanted. Guess I would just have to make due...

old Grump
07-18-2010, 07:08 PM
OK.

Let's say just for fun that you were limited to (1) and ONLY (1) .22lr weapon and you had to make a choice....

Then....
"Which" pistol?
"Which" rifle?

...and why?

Just one gun or just one 22?, either way it's quality first.

alismith
07-18-2010, 07:41 PM
I voted 12 ga. because of the versitility of the gauge. The .22LR is great, but it would take a lot of shots and hits to bring down fair-to-large sized animal and, if you live in bear country, it would really piss them off just before they killed you.

Plus, in a SHTF situation, you can't reload .22LR and, if the situation lasted long enough, the .22LR supply would eventually run dry. 12 ga. you can reload for and use a wide variety of powders (including BP).

Nothing says, "Stop, Drop and Die" to a human quite like a chest-full of 00 Buck.

American Rage
07-18-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm right handed, and here is my right shoulder.
I'm starting to re-think this shotgun thing.
For those of you recommending a pump shotgun...I can already tell you that is not happening.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/paint1.jpg

Get the .22lr or learn to shoot left handed.

Rage

swampdragon
07-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Just one gun or just one 22?, either way it's quality first.

didn't answer the question...lol

old Grump
07-19-2010, 01:35 AM
Get the .22lr or learn to shoot left handed.

Rage

You didn't answer mine and to ask that of a guy with 11 of them is cruel and unusual. If I could make up my mind I would only have one, well maybe two, uh one for plinking, one for hunting, one for serious bullseye competition, one for free style, one for small bore rifle, one for long range plin............Houston, we have a problem here.

One 22 assuming I could have other guns that were not 22's it would be a toss up be...................uh that doesn't help...

Damn you!!!

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVT

I am a target shooter as well as a hunter and I prefer aperture sights over notch sights and a woods range gun shouldn't need a scope unless you are getting into serious 50 yard and longer shooting at small bore targets.

If I could go out and buy any gun it would be an Anschutz but getting realistic and not giving up much in quality it would be a Savage

http://www.savagearms.com/images/firearms/finder/big/markiifvt.png

swampdragon
07-19-2010, 02:52 AM
You didn't answer mine and to ask that of a guy with 11 of them is cruel and unusual. If I could make up my mind I would only have one, well maybe two, uh one for plinking, one for hunting, one for serious bullseye competition, one for free style, one for small bore rifle, one for long range plin............Houston, we have a problem here.

One 22 assuming I could have other guns that were not 22's it would be a toss up be...................uh that doesn't help...

Damn you!!!

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVT

I am a target shooter as well as a hunter and I prefer aperture sights over notch sights and a woods range gun shouldn't need a scope unless you are getting into serious 50 yard and longer shooting at small bore targets.

If I could go out and buy any gun it would be an Anschutz but getting realistic and not giving up much in quality it would be a Savage

http://www.savagearms.com/images/firearms/finder/big/markiifvt.png

You need help.
You're a 22 addict!
lol....

I really wanted something in semi-auto...although I didn't clarify that.
Nothing wrong with Savage either.
I really really really like my Savage 308 a LOT.

I think I've settled on a Ruger 10/22.
It's a different version from the standard.
I started a thread about it.
I'm pretty sure I'm sold.

It seems small and short enough to be really handy.
Accurate too.
I think I could both hunt AND target shoot with it with no problems.

El Jefe
07-19-2010, 11:16 AM
OK.

Then....
"Which" pistol?
"Which" rifle?

...and why?

Swampy, I have two 22 rifles, a 10-22 and a Marlin 66. I don't see 2 cents worth of difference between them except that the Marlin was cheaper cost wise. The 66 has a tube while the 10-22 uses a mag. I think the 66 gets over looked by a lot of folks for some reason.

American Rage
07-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Swampy, I have two 22 rifles, a 10-22 and a Marlin 66. I don't see 2 cents worth of difference between them except that the Marlin was cheaper cost wise. The 66 has a tube while the 10-22 uses a mag. I think the 66 gets over looked by a lot of folks for some reason.

Probably b/c the Marlin's tube mags were easily damaged.

Rage

old Grump
07-19-2010, 04:43 PM
My Marlin 60 has been popping acorns and squirrels since 1964 and the tube on it is just fine. I fired half my matches last year with it instead of the 10/22 and there wasn't hardly a nickles worth of difference in my scores. The bull barrel on the Ruger made it a little bit better for holding steady in the wind but not enough to make it a superior gun, it only cost more, not much of an advantage in my book.

Dumb Savage, they took away the picture of the gun and replaced it with a logo. Just for that I will switch to Remington, I'll show them bums.

justinsaneok
07-19-2010, 06:04 PM
ruger 10/22

American Rage
07-19-2010, 06:32 PM
My Marlin 60 has been popping acorns and squirrels since 1964 and the tube on it is just fine. I fired half my matches last year with it instead of the 10/22 and there wasn't hardly a nickles worth of difference in my scores. The bull barrel on the Ruger made it a little bit better for holding steady in the wind but not enough to make it a superior gun, it only cost more, not much of an advantage in my book.

Dumb Savage, they took away the picture of the gun and replaced it with a logo. Just for that I will switch to Remington, I'll show them bums.

Actually, I found my model 60 to be more accurate than my 10/22.

Rage

El Jefe
07-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Probably b/c the Marlin's tube mags were easily damaged.

Rage

Maybe if you used it to fell trees. I had a 66 when I was like 10 years old, my youngest brother still has it and it still works fine. The one I got a few years ago has been a good little rifle.

justinsaneok
07-19-2010, 06:40 PM
ruger 10/22

a regular one, not the 10/22 k go plane jane Don't get a match chamber gun their finicky on ammo good bullseye guns but for survival !!!!! O ya this isn"t a target post. Everybody knows magazines are better than tubes. O ya you cant put spare tubes in your pocket and you need to take the stupid spring tube out before you can load it. Kind of like my rem 700 MUZZLE LOADER. Can we say outdated! You can get anything you want for a 10/22, they are fun to tinker with and shoot. DId I mention that my 10/22 carbine out shoots my Mk 111 ruger pistol. I know It sounds crazy to SOME people but I'VE seen 10 pound ground hawgs go down at 175 yards With a 22 long rifle no shit I was laughing at him when I had seen what he brought with him. he fired once and missed high again and shot it in the head and it went through its fat head. He Said he has a riser scope mount cause his scope was running out of adjustment and then he could shoot to 200 to 300 yards I was like, ya right , then later read an article about a guy shooting a turkey that he put 3 layers of clothes on to prove lethality at 400 yards . The rounds went through 3 front layers the thawed butterball and 6 layers in the back at 300 yards. The 400 yard test was aborted due to 10 mph wind 5 out of 10 shots fired hit the turkey and went trough the turkey. Its lethal, light, cheap, easy to shoot. EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED SWAMPY !!!!!!

alismith
07-19-2010, 08:02 PM
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/alismith483/MVC-003F-10.jpg

justinsaneok
07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/alismith483/MVC-003F-10.jpg

1 of a thousand different stocks available. Thanks for the example and I bet you don't regret the purchase of that 10/22 ?

weevil
07-19-2010, 08:30 PM
I'd much rather have a shotgun for hunting small game.

A .22 is fine if they're just sitting there waitting to get shot but if they decide to run as animals have a tendency to do, just hitting a moving target with a .22 is a real chore, and "good shot-placement" is just a dream.

I've taken a lot of rabbits and squirrels on a dead run, and birds on the wing with a shotgun.

If recoil is a concern then get some 2 3/4 low-brass shells loaded with birdshot, out of a long barreled full-size shotgun these won't kick much more than a .22.

There are 12ga shells loaded for just about any occasion or situation you can think of, you don't have to keep it stoked up with 3.5 magnum 000 buck for shooting squirrels. ;)

justinsaneok
07-19-2010, 08:47 PM
I'd much rather have a shotgun for hunting small game.

A .22 is fine if they're just sitting there waitting to get shot but if they decide to run as animals have a tendency to do, just hitting a moving target with a .22 is a real chore, and "good shot-placement" is just a dream.

I've taken a lot of rabbits and squirrels on a dead run, and birds on the wing with a shotgun.

If recoil is a concern then get some 2 3/4 low-brass shells loaded with birdshot, out of a long barreled full-size shotgun these won't kick much more than a .22.

There are 12ga shells loaded for just about any occasion or situation you can think of, you don't have to keep it stoked up with 3.5 magnum 000 buck for shooting squirrels. ;)

:laughingtohard:

justinsaneok
07-19-2010, 08:52 PM
I wish I could vote more than once like all the Obama followers. 2 3/4 bird shot kicking less than a 22lr . :lmao3::funny-post:

weevil
07-19-2010, 09:01 PM
I wish I could vote more than once like all the Obama followers. 2 3/4 bird shot kicking less than a 22lr . :lmao3::funny-post:

Have you ever fired low-brass shells.

Or do you even know what they are??

swampdragon
07-20-2010, 12:19 AM
Weevil,
Are you shooting low brass from a pump gun or a semi-auto?

weevil
07-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Weevil,
Are you shooting low brass from a pump gun or a semi-auto?

Pump gun actually, a Mossberg 835.

Very light recoil and with a semi-auto they should be very tame. If anything I might worry that'd they'd be too light to cycle a semi-auto.

You can also get recoil pads that go on the end of the stock that will soften up the felt-recoil even more if needed.

.22s are fun to play with but if you're serious about wanting to put some meat on the table a shotgun is hard to beat.

old Grump
07-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Stupid Marlin 60, when I shot this target 2 days ago I nearly beat my shoulder to death, still so bruised I can barely stand it today with 7 aspirin and 2 Percocet in me.

http://s1d4.turboimagehost.com/t/3795579_Gunsnet_50_yd_bench_rimfire_target.jpg (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/3795579/Gunsnet_50_yd_bench_rimfire_target.jpg.html)

I gotta get me one of them there soft shooting shotguns with the soft bullets and the soft stocks and the soft trigger. Now where can I find me some soft targets.

weevil
07-22-2010, 08:38 PM
I'll bet them paper targets are real tasty with a nice gravy and some beans on the side.

Paladin
07-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Stupid Marlin 60, when I shot this target 2 days ago I nearly beat my shoulder to death, still so bruised I can barely stand it today with 7 aspirin and 2 Percocet in me.

http://s1d4.turboimagehost.com/t/3795579_Gunsnet_50_yd_bench_rimfire_target.jpg (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/3795579/Gunsnet_50_yd_bench_rimfire_target.jpg.html)

I gotta get me one of them there soft shooting shotguns with the soft bullets and the soft stocks and the soft trigger. Now where can I find me some soft targets.

http://www.limbsaver.com/store/home.php?cat=267

HDR
07-22-2010, 09:22 PM
The 22 can take small game at close range and not ruin the meat.

rgmcl
07-22-2010, 09:25 PM
I voted 12ga. Would be more versatile than a .22 rimfire. That being said I have 4 .22 rifles and 3 pistols in .22
Best case would be to have both.
A mossberg 500 combo with a 28" bbl and 3 chokes and a 18" bbl cyl bore would be a good choice IMO.

weevil
07-22-2010, 09:58 PM
The 22 can take small game at close range and not ruin the meat.

True but how often have you taken your limit with a .22?

justinsaneok
07-22-2010, 10:59 PM

ME too! :laugh:

justinsaneok
07-22-2010, 11:10 PM
I voted 12ga. Would be more versatile than a .22 rimfire. That being said I have 4 .22 rifles and 3 pistols in .22
Best case would be to have both.
A mossberg 500 combo with a 28" bbl and 3 chokes and a 18" bbl cyl bore would be a good choice IMO.

I have a mossy combo with the 28" field, 24" slug and 18" getto blaster and would say It would be a great choice. Although I think this is a bust for the situation overall.

swampdragon
07-22-2010, 11:25 PM
I dunno?

I am inclined to agree with weevil about a shotgun being easier to make hits with on small "moving" animals.

weevil
07-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Well you gotta remember Swampy, guys on the internet can do amazing things with their .22s.

Everything from feeding their families to shooting down helicopters. ;)

.22s are great for shooting rats at the dump and I enjoy testing my skills with my 10/22 hunting squirrels as much as the next guy, but when I'm hungry and the shelves at the store are empty I'll put my faith in a good shotgun for feeding my family.

You can listen to the opinions on the web till the cows come home, but the best method is it to try them for yourself.

As mentioned get both, a good shotgun and a decent .22.

Then get your small game license and get out there and get some critters.

Try your .22 one week and your shotgun the next.

Then you decide for yourself which works best.

old Grump
07-23-2010, 01:25 AM
They both work best but the 22 does it cheaper.

Paladin
07-23-2010, 01:25 AM
I dunno?

I am inclined to agree with weevil about a shotgun being easier to make hits with on small "moving" animals.

Well sure... But how many jihadists are midgets?

HDR
07-24-2010, 07:46 AM

True, however how many big guys will hide behind something and only stick enough up to see?

old Grump
07-24-2010, 03:10 PM
True, however how many big guys will hide behind something and only stick enough up to see?

Well there are always the old guys who don't carry 394 rounds of ammo and only one gun but know enough to keep their head down and their asses lower. Never had a jack rabbit or squirrel complain than it wasn't shot with a shotgun. :big-gun: or a magnum or a gun with a 30 round magazine.

weevil
07-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Well just for the sake of arguement let's assume Swampy is a mere mortal who doesn't have the Annie Oakley-esque ability and talent to shoot the eye out a sparrow on the wing at a 100 yards everytime.

Then it might just possibly be that he would be better served with a shotgun that doesn't require as high of a degree of talent and trainning to hit a moving target.

If you wanna beat your chest about what an amazing shot you are with a .22 fine, but I was trying to help Swampy try and figure out what might be the better choice for him.

old Grump
07-25-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't think I want Swampy shooting at me with a 22 or any other gun. I am an old large slow moving target easily recognizable by the limp and the cane. What I want to see is that 100 yard shotgun :coffee: or a shotgun shell as cheap as a 22. Besides not that he is old and presumably getting more tender by the day I doubt if he could take much pounding with the shotgun if that X-ray was current. Took me two years after my shoulder surgery before I could shoot anything bigger than a 22 and even that hurt the first winter.

Of course if the shotgun was pink and came with a beverage holder it could be a selling point.

james01
07-25-2010, 08:20 PM
ha ah ha I have a 12 gage that old grump wont shoot.

swampdragon
07-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Well to be fair....I really don't want to shoot at any of you guys with anything anyways.
lol......

weevil
07-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Only Swampy's gonna know for sure what his shoulder's gonna be able to handle.

Personally I'm a big stout fellow with a good healthly shoulder who come hunting season pounds out a lot 3.5" magnum shells and also practices regularly with 3" magnums in my HD shotgun both of which are pumps. So to me light low brass loads feel like I'm shooting a .22 and out of a semi-auto they should be pretty tame for most people.

Of course if you've got a really bum shoulder like Old Grump, as he says a .22 may even be too much for you.

All I can say is try it, personally I think you'd be much better served if you can deal with a shotgun but hey it's not my shoulder.

And don't be shootin' at me I shoot back and it won't be with a .22! ;)

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 12:04 AM
I can shoot my 308 bolt rifle just fine.
On the other hand...it's really big and heavy and absorbs a lot of the recoil too.

weevil
07-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Oh hell if you handle a .308 bolt-gun you can handle a semi-auto shotgun with regular 2 3/4" shells.

old Grump
07-26-2010, 10:55 PM
ha ah ha I have a 12 gage that old grump wont shoot.

I shot it this morning, it sucks. Damn action release lever gouged a hole in my hand. The 20 was nice. Okay, the 12 was accurate but the design sucks, mine is better.

=weevil;
And don't be shootin' at me I shoot back and it won't be with a .22!

Sling shots with marbles don't count. :shss:

weevil
07-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Sling shots with marbles don't count. :shss:

Let's not get rude Old Gimp.

At least I can still shoot a slingshot. ;)

justinsaneok
07-26-2010, 11:24 PM

All of them really. Obama I mean Osama are exception to the rule.

shadow65
07-27-2010, 08:31 AM
I'll throw something else into the mix. I always keep a .22 conversion unit and 2 mags in my bug out bag. I know I'll have at least one AR15 with me. Then I have the ability for 5.56 self defense and quite .22 for small game or other necessities. I also have a .22 suppressor for the AR.
It doesn't take up any room, light weight, and accurate enough for 50 yard shots.
Plus I can carry 500 rounds of .22 without much added weight.

old Grump
07-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Let's not get rude Old Gimp.

At least I can still shoot a slingshot. ;)

Couldn't resist, you stuck your leg out there and I had to pull it. You are right about the sling shot though. between torn rotator cuff and surgical scar on my left forearm it's hard to shoot a sling shot anymore. No loss really, as much as I loved to play with it I was never very good.

You have no idea how many times I went rabbit hunting and sent shot after shot after shot over and under the same rabbit who just sat there completely safe from me. Blow gun and that sucker was mine, sling shot and I was Br'er Rabbit's entertainment for the day. :eyebrows:

Paladin
07-27-2010, 08:26 PM
What I want to see is that 100 yard shotgun or a shotgun shell as cheap as a 22.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/ko_sabot.html

I never put Brenneke's 100 yard claim for the KO sabot to the test, but they're just the thing in brown bear country. But you won't find them as cheap as 22.

weevil
07-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Couldn't resist, you stuck your leg out there and I had to pull it. You are right about the sling shot though. between torn rotator cuff and surgical scar on my left forearm it's hard to shoot a sling shot anymore. No loss really, as much as I loved to play with it I was never very good.

You have no idea how many times I went rabbit hunting and sent shot after shot after shot over and under the same rabbit who just sat there completely safe from me. Blow gun and that sucker was mine, sling shot and I was Br'er Rabbit's entertainment for the day. :eyebrows:

Oh I was a terror with a slingshot when I was a kid!

There wasn't a bird or small animal or window that was safe when I was around.

What's worse is my uncle worked at the steel mill and would bring me bags of steel balls all the way from ones the size of peewee marbles to the ones like they had in pinball machines. My mom chewed his ass good one time after I killed a neighbor's cat, but he'd still slip them to me on the sly.

I still have a few wrist rockets around and I'm still a pretty good shot with one. ;)

Batwing
07-27-2010, 09:47 PM

yup,a .22 would kill each of,and carry a hi power sidearm like a .45 or .44 mag or something,a good handgun has about the same range as a shotty for me,plus i can carry it with me while carrying the .22,so if I'm on a stump taking a dump I can get it and fire off rounds

Nimbly
12-28-2010, 02:32 PM
If you are talking about SHTF a .22 is the only way to go. A box of 550 22s weighs about the same as a box of 25 shotgun shells. You hit a rabbit, or something similar with a shotgun you are not going to have anything left to eat. If SHTF happens I am guessing there wont be any electricity. With that there is no gas for your car to carry a bunch of heavy stuff, and there will be no way to keep a lot of meat from spoiling. That means that unless you are feeding a bunch of people there is no real reason to shoot a large animal like a deer. The average man eats something like one pound of food per sitting. So you are down to small game and with a .22 you have a lot of chances to hit one. Ammo is cheap and plentiful, and because it is light that leaves room in your bug-out bag for camping pans, a shovel, water filters, fire starters, a first aid kit and a fishing pole. Bear Grylls says never rely on only one source for food.

Paladin
12-28-2010, 03:12 PM
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/1

Food for thought...

old Grump
12-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Savage 24, now there is a blast from the past. I can't remember the last time I read anything about them but it was many many moons ago. Can't say as I knew anybody who had one but it always seemed like a good idea to me.