PDA

View Full Version : Feds Try to Save Stolen Valor Act

ATAK, Inc.
10-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Wow, the DOJ doing something good!!! I guess hell can freeze over!:lool:

http://www.military.com/news/article/feds-try-to-save-stolen-valor-act.html?ESRC=airforce.nl

October 02, 2010
Associated Press
DENVER -- The U.S. Justice Department will appeal two court decisions that said a federal law making it illegal to lie about being a war hero is unconstitutional.

Federal prosecutors in Colorado said Friday they will appeal a ruling by a federal judge in Denver that the Stolen Valor Act violates free speech.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco, ruling in a California case, also found the law unconstitutional. Late Thursday, prosecutors asked that court to reconsider.

The law makes it a crime punishable by up to a year in jail to falsely claim to have received a military medal.

Supporters say the Constitution doesn't protect people who knowingly lie. They argue the law is needed to protect the honor of real heroes.

old Grump
10-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Just guessing here but this is being done without the blessing of the Whitehouse, and its cabinet of tax cheats, liars and faux patriots. More power to you and I salute you.

Xavier Alvarez, I hope you and scum like you suffer like you deserve.

Mark Ducati
10-06-2010, 08:11 AM
In my opinion, lying about being a war hero should be a crime... this is not a freedom of speech, it is THEFT.

The reason I say so is that the liar saying they're a war hero receives benefits from society... the benefits of respect and honor. Whether its a pat on the back, a free beer, a solid handshake, or a genuine "thank you".... the liar robs those who serve and those who have fallen in battle of THEIR respect and honor.

elkydriver
10-06-2010, 01:37 PM
In my opinion, lying about being a war hero should be a crime... this is not a freedom of speech, it is THEFT.

The reason I say so is that the liar saying they're a war hero receives benefits from society... the benefits of respect and honor. Whether its a pat on the back, a free beer, a solid handshake, or a genuine "thank you".... the liar robs those who serve and those who have fallen in battle of THEIR respect and honor.

it also undermines the acts of the true heros to the point where no one is believed.

ATAK, Inc.
10-06-2010, 01:54 PM
it also undermines the acts of the true heros to the point where no one is believed.

A little off base, but when I was with the Thunderbirds we did a month in Europe in 1991 with the last two shows at Poland and Hungary, freshly from under the communist thumb. On a few occasions I was thanked for ending the cold war. My response was that I was merely representing those who did the job, their response was, "but you are here"! It was a good feeling, to say the least!

Kadmos
10-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah, doing it is shitty..but is this really something that needs to tie up the courts.

"Cletus said he got the purple heart twice, but he only got it once"

"Stan over there wasn't really an undercover agent for the FBI"

"Brain dead Bill over there really wasn't an astronaut"

What do you really plan to do, call a cop every time some jackass in a bar runs his mouth?

Then what..the cop wastes half an hour deciding whether or not the guy is a war hero or just a drunk talking shit?

Then off to court...then jail...so we can all pay for some jackwagon to get 3 hots and a cot..brilliant!

ATAK, Inc.
10-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah, doing it is shitty..but is this really something that needs to tie up the courts.

"Cletus said he got the purple heart twice, but he only got it once"

"Stan over there wasn't really an undercover agent for the FBI"

"Brain dead Bill over there really wasn't an astronaut"

What do you really plan to do, call a cop every time some jackass in a bar runs his mouth?

Then what..the cop wastes half an hour deciding whether or not the guy is a war hero or just a drunk talking shit?

Then off to court...then jail...so we can all pay for some jackwagon to get 3 hots and a cot..brilliant!

The purpose is for those who use it to gain employment, preferencial treatment and political office. That is off the top of my head, was a while back when I read it. The 'Valor' issue brings out a quality indicator, "You've lied about your military service, what else are they going to lie about"!

Kadmos
10-06-2010, 04:07 PM
The purpose is for those who use it to gain employment, preferencial treatment and political office. That is off the top of my head, was a while back when I read it. The 'Valor' issue brings out a quality indicator, "You've lied about your military service, what else are they going to lie about"!

So you want the cops to go after people who lied on their resume? Lying on a resume is a reason to fire someone, generally not a reason to jail them (exceptions exist, but mostly when there is a potential for great bodily harm, or serious loss of revenue)

If you are getting veterans benefits without being a vet that is already a crime, fraud.

If you're a politician...well first everyone should expect that you lie already, but if you claim to be a vet and aren't, well there goes your reputation..we can vote you out.

Just seems like a giant waste to me.

Plus what happens when some real hero get dragged into the jail and ends up sitting around for a day or so while the cops verify the story he told in a bar the night before?

mriddick
10-06-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm sure if Pelosi, Reid and company wanted to they could rewrite the law in such a way to pass Constitutional muster quite quickly. Probably along the lines of if a person seeks personal gain from his lies he can be prosecuted.

That is of course if this Congress really cared a bit about servicemen who have served.

studmuffin
10-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Sooo just dressing up for constume parties will now be a federal felony? As if our federal prisons are not full enough already? Come on people lets have some common sense hear.

Hey posers should be outed and humiliated yes. Flesh schivs in the shower and metal schivs on the prison yard is over the top. At worst it deserves charges of fraud within our existing legal system. Its just feel good bullshit legislation giving big brother federal government more over reach into our daily lives.

studmuffin
10-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Its called fraud. We have laws for that already.

ATAK, Inc.
10-06-2010, 04:40 PM
So you want the cops to go after people who lied on their resume? Lying on a resume is a reason to fire someone, generally not a reason to jail them (exceptions exist, but mostly when there is a potential for great bodily harm, or serious loss of revenue)

If you are getting veterans benefits without being a vet that is already a crime, fraud.

If you're a politician...well first everyone should expect that you lie already, but if you claim to be a vet and aren't, well there goes your reputation..we can vote you out.

Just seems like a giant waste to me.

Plus what happens when some real hero get dragged into the jail and ends up sitting around for a day or so while the cops verify the story he told in a bar the night before?

Woah there, where did I say anything about cops! They lie, they lose their job, political office, award or presentation, an Honorarium, etc...

Kadmos
10-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Woah there, where did I say anything about cops! They lie, they lose their job, political office, award or presentation, an Honorarium, etc...

If they get caught, that would probably happen anyway.

If it's going to be a crime, then it's probably going to involve cops at some point.

Or sooner or later some "ultra over the top super duper Joe America lover" is going to call 911 over smack some guy is talking in a bar.

Seems to me this is "feel good" legislation that either isn't going to mean a damn thing or is going to end up being more trouble than it's worth.

Yeah obviously some guy shouldn't run his mouth, but the natural consequences, or the consequences that already exist seem to work just fine.

mriddick
10-06-2010, 05:01 PM
I think you can count atleast 3 guys caught "stealing valor" running for Congress this cycle and that doesn't count the number already in Congress or those who haven't been caught running who've lied about their service. This is probably the reason Congress doesn't want to tackle this issue, they'd be writing law that could put them in jail...