PDA

View Full Version : I Really Do Not Like Living in DC

ltorlo64
12-31-2014, 11:18 AM
It is so hard to shoot in the DC area. You have to go to a range, the ranges are expensive, and they are always full. I went about 2 weeks ago and had to wait over an hour for a lane to open up. I went today and didn't even try to wait as there were more people waiting than last time. The depressing thing is that my next duty station will be in San Diego where it will be just as bad. Actually worse as I have to find a place to store my AR and my M1 Carbine as both can take magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

El Laton Caliente
12-31-2014, 11:29 AM
I've been working in Kali... I'm taking back a OU 12 gauge and start shooting sporting clays with the coworkers.

Schuetzenman
12-31-2014, 11:30 AM
That sucks. How long until you retire so you can live in a free state?

BISHOP
12-31-2014, 12:00 PM
Rule #1 as to why I live out in the sticks.

I just open the door and can shoot n my back yard all day and into the night. Shooting Tannerite or cannons doesn't raise anyone's eyebrows...
I also don't have water or sewage bills.

BISHOP

NAPOTS
12-31-2014, 12:08 PM
It is so hard to shoot in the DC area. You have to go to a range, the ranges are expensive, and they are always full. I went about 2 weeks ago and had to wait over an hour for a lane to open up. I went today and didn't even try to wait as there were more people waiting than last time. The depressing thing is that my next duty station will be in San Diego where it will be just as bad. Actually worse as I have to find a place to store my AR and my M1 Carbine as both can take magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

ltorlo64 you really need to get familiar with the laws here, you should be able to bring in your carbine as long as it isn't a paratrooper and you may be able to bring in your ar if you install a bullet button. You won't be able to bring in any mags.

up here in this area of NorCal the shooting sports are very strong. Lots of gun owners and ranges, indoor and outdoor.

5.56NATO
12-31-2014, 12:11 PM
I knew a gal who had a range in her basement. Worked ok for pistols. When neighbors called the cops on her for the noise the cops ended up shooting at her range.

ltorlo64
12-31-2014, 01:00 PM
That sucks. How long until you retire so you can live in a free state?

Another 4.5 years.

ltorlo64
12-31-2014, 01:06 PM
ltorlo64 you really need to get familiar with the laws here, you should be able to bring in your carbine as long as it isn't a paratrooper and you may be able to bring in your ar if you install a bullet button. You won't be able to bring in any mags.

up here in this area of NorCal the shooting sports are very strong. Lots of gun owners and ranges, indoor and outdoor.

In this case I am. I understand there are modifications I can do to my AR to make it legal, but then I still have to buy 10 round mags for it. As for the Carbine, I called the California DOJ and they said I can bring it, as it is C&R, but I cannot bring the mags for it. Not sure if either is worth it as I will be there a little less than 3 years. Where I will be at in San Diego is at least 30-45 minutes from the nearest range. Northern CA might be alright, but SOCAL is sort of like living in a different country, one that is not governed by our Constitution.

l921428x
12-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Rule #1 as to why I live out in the sticks.

I just open the door and can shoot n my back yard all day and into the night. Shooting Tannerite or cannons doesn't raise anyone's eyebrows...
I also don't have water or sewage bills.

BISHOP

please know a lot of us would love to live this way and many are trying, quite a few will not make it. but you do give a few the desire to push forward.

tank_monkey
12-31-2014, 04:15 PM
In this case I am. I understand there are modifications I can do to my AR to make it legal, but then I still have to buy 10 round mags for it. As for the Carbine, I called the California DOJ and they said I can bring it, as it is C&R, but I cannot bring the mags for it. Not sure if either is worth it as I will be there a little less than 3 years. Where I will be at in San Diego is at least 30-45 minutes from the nearest range. Northern CA might be alright, but SOCAL is sort of like living in a different country, one that is not governed by our Constitution.

The CAL bullet button is a brilliant and FAST work around to the idiotic state ban. And it pisses off the Anti gunners no end, so obviously ..... DO IT!! If it makes a liberal CRY then it's a good thing. Both guns can be brought into the state per your statement. There are some great ranges here and some super LONG RANGE ones. One of the Norcal ranges sits on top of a mountain range and you can see valleys and the OCEAN from the shotgun trap line. Beautiful. Another one (I posted pics from it a while back) has you shooting right next to the SF Bay and again, it's a beautiful landscape with a clear view of Pacific Waters. There are also some super cool shooting spots in SoCAL towards the desert. I will ask my buddies in San Diego if they know anything fun and I'll try to pass the info along to you :D

tank_monkey
12-31-2014, 04:39 PM
BTW, this pic was taken (TODAY) just north of San Diego (between Northern SD on the way to Camp Pendleton) ;) LOL. Kinda makes you wonder, eh? Must be that Global Warming they're always talking about.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10897829_1563499737228865_3775966172332639672_n.jp g?oh=03ae5b9b2024f9b22cedd0231d31a5d9&oe=553FB5DA&__gda__=1425852336_c84c81b22bc840697d9e9ff935fa568 e

BISHOP
12-31-2014, 06:28 PM
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not in the middle of nowhere. I live 1 mile from the main drag and 1/2 hour from a "major" city.
But I'm in a rural town with no town cops. Most people here shoot in their backyards too. On any given day there are gunshots happening, even more on the weekends, and even MORE since Christmas, which is music to my ears...

I'm in the beginning phase (of a possible 5 year project) of building a 100 Meter Range. Nothing special, just a clear strip in the woods with shooting shack, 2 stations and an adequate backdrop.

BISHOP

Full Otto
12-31-2014, 06:41 PM
Another 4.5 years.

"the ranges are expensive, and they are always full"

Just an idea for you after you retire

ltorlo64
12-31-2014, 07:39 PM
There are also some super cool shooting spots in SoCAL towards the desert. I will ask my buddies in San Diego if they know anything fun and I'll try to pass the info along to you :D

Thanks, I would be interested in any information you can find. I know about the bullet button and I guess I need to really get serious about it. I do not want to leave my AR anywhere and I would rather not leave my magazines somewhere, but I could make that work, I guess.

I used to shoot at P2K range in El Cajon. It was a great range for shooting trap and they had a great indoor range with about 4 100 yard lanes. The strange thing was that once an hour they had everyone evacuate the range and a range safety officer would walk through to make sure everything was safe and then we could go back in and shoot again. This walk through takes about 10 minutes and you have to pay by the hour. This is where I was figuring on shooting again but if you get information about a better place I will definitely look into it.

jet3534
01-01-2015, 05:55 PM

I am thinking you may be a Marine. If so, or otherwise in the military/DOD can't you shoot at the Quantico gun club range? I used to shoot trap at the Bull Run Shooting center - never had to wait. For handguns I used to shoot at "The Range" in Stafford County and never had to wait. The cool thing about "The Range" is they rent submachine guns. Have you tried the NRA range in Fairfax? I moved out of VA 8 years ago so I guess possibly things have changed.

http://indoorrange.com/

ltorlo64
01-01-2015, 06:11 PM
I am thinking you may be a Marine. If so, or otherwise in the military/DOD can't you shoot at the Quantico gun club range? I used to shoot trap at the Bull Run Shooting center - never had to wait. For handguns I used to shoot at "The Range" in Stafford County and never had to wait. The cool thing about "The Range" is they rent submachine guns. Have you tried the NRA range in Fairfax? I moved out of VA 8 years ago so I guess possibly things have changed.

http://indoorrange.com/

I am in the Navy, but that would not keep me from shooting with at Quantico. It is about an hour from where I live to the front gate of Quantico, so it is a little bit of a trip. I generally shoot at the NRA Range as it is only about 15 minutes from my house. You just have to be careful about when you go as they fill up pretty quick, especially on the weekends and holidays.

I have used the Bull Run Shooting center and it is a great facility. I shot skeet there once and then had to go shoot trap to restore some of my self-respect. When it warms up a little I will get back out there.

I checked and The Range is about 45 minutes away. To be able to shoot a fully automatic weapon I may make the trek, though! Thanks for the information.

jet3534
01-01-2015, 09:58 PM
I checked and The Range is about 45 minutes away. To be able to shoot a fully automatic weapon I may make the trek, though! Thanks for the information.

I have to take back what I said about subgun rental at The Range. I now see on their website that they say they have suspended subgun rentals due to the current ammo shortage. Not sure if this is still in effect or not. If so, this is a shame since they used to rent Uzis, MP5s, and 9mm ARs.

Another place where I used to shoot in VA years ago was the Blue Ridge Arsenal. If my memory is correct this range is off of Route 50 about 15-20 minutes from the NRA building in Fairfax.

http://blueridgearsenal.com/range-hours/

ltorlo64
01-02-2015, 05:58 PM
I have to take back what I said about subgun rental at The Range. I now see on their website that they say they have suspended subgun rentals due to the current ammo shortage. Not sure if this is still in effect or not. If so, this is a shame since they used to rent Uzis, MP5s, and 9mm ARs.

Another place where I used to shoot in VA years ago was the Blue Ridge Arsenal. If my memory is correct this range is off of Route 50 about 15-20 minutes from the NRA building in Fairfax.

http://blueridgearsenal.com/range-hours/

Thanks. Blue Ridge Arsenal is closer than the others, except for the NRA range, but it is not too far out. I will keep them in mind.