View Full Version : Gun control

Gunreference1
10-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Gun control

Letter to the Editor
By Alexander M. Martin

Published: Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Updated: Tuesday, October 5, 2010 23:10

In Monday's Observer ("My cold dead hands", Oct.4), Mr. Kyle Retzloff writes that Nazi Germany's alleged confiscation of private weapons is proof that an armed citizenry can act as a check on tyranny. This is a claim one often hears from pro-gun commentators. The history of armed citizens in modern politics is indeed instructive, but not as Mr. Retzloff suggests.

Armed resistance by isolated individuals is pointless, because a modern state easily crushes such opposition. It happens in our own country with awful regularity: a gunman holes himself up; the police lay siege; the gunman dies. All that, without the government having to deploy a single one of its tanks, fighter bombers, or attack helicopters.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/gun-control-1.1667126

Steve

Poster's Note: It seems Mr. Martin is employed at the University of Notre Dame. His contact information can be found at http://history.nd.edu/people/all/martin-alexander/.

ATAK, Inc.
10-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Here is my reply:

Mr. Martin argues with an anti-gun sentiment, thus negating any arguement against his position. But consider this; what percentage of our military will take up arms against their own people? 1 in 4, 1 in 5?
Even though I'm retired military, I have minimal combat skills (Air Force), but am capable enough to be a threat. Add to that the 4-5 million gun owners who have prior combat experience, and about an equal number of gun owners, who like their revolutionary war counterparts, had no formal training but are willing to stand for freedom. Add to that they could be anywhere, at any time, and you have a formidible force! Our forefathers who took up arms against the British was only a small percentage of the population, 4 to 5%. Today that would be 12 to 15 million well armed people, with the potential ov effective and well trained leadership from said veterans. We, the People do stand up against wrong doings within the government, the Tea Party is a perfect example of that. If a tyrannical government were to come to power, people are not going to simply line up to turn their guns in for destruction. Some will, but there is no lack of patriotic Americans willing to fight for the reason this country came into being some 234 years ago, and that is freedom!

old Grump
10-06-2010, 06:40 PM
More ammo for the rest of us and the sniveling intellectually superior booger dripping Tory can beg for mercy from those who would do us harm.

Alexander M. Martin
faculty
Associate Professor of Modern European History
I'm guessing I wouldn't do well in his class. I read different books.

aliceinchains
10-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Of course, individuals can band together. Guerrilla forces sometimes wear out the patience of foreign invaders, but not a determined government

What like Russia in Afghanistan LOL!