PDA

View Full Version : I posted a comment on a gun article

Krupski
01-12-2015, 09:00 AM
See this link: http://www.wicz.com/news2005/viewarticle.asp?a=36461

And here's what I posted:

OK, think about this: Assault and murder are already illegal. They have always been illegal - and immoral. Also, assault and murder carry an incredibly high price in the form of imprisonment and/or execution. Not only that, but these crimes carry a high moral price (for those who have morals).

People who use firearms in the course of their employment (cops, military, etc..) need to be trained to overcome the natural, inherent tendency to NOT shoot. Their moral compass stops them from shooting and is very difficult to overcome. In many cases that hesitation can have fatal results.

Those who commit mass murder (or even a single murder) obviously have no moral compass to inhibit their actions. Nor are they afraid of the civil consequences.

I'm sure everyone will agree with the above.

So, now let me ask this question: Can anyone say with a straight face that a mere "gun law" will stop the criminal? When I say "mere" I mean that violation of any gun law carries a MUCH lower civil penalty than assault or murder, and since most of these laws are absurd (such as banning a class of firearms based solely on their appearance), there is virtually no moral reason to obey the law.

If we can agree that a psychotic criminal who does not fear the consequences of his actions will have zero concern for a relatively minor "gun law", then I must wonder, "what good is it?".

The "SAFE" (snort-chuckle-gag) Act puts law abiding citizens at risk of not being able to adequately defend themselves, the families and their neighbors while criminals are not at all affected.

Just whom is being made "Safe"?

The above is a question about the sensibility of the "SAFE" act and gun laws in general. Another, bigger question is, "How can the "SAFE" act be Constitutional"?

I suppose one could say that if the state allowed people to own and carry only one firearm, and posses only one round of ammunition, the law would comply with the letter of the law (the Second Amendment). After all, the "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" is not being infringed. You've got one arm and one round of ammo.

But does it comply with the INTENT of the Second Amendment - that all free American citizens have the responsibility and duty to keep and bear arms for the purpose of protecting and preserving the security of themselves, their families, their neighbors and the state?

I would say "No, it does not". Can you imagine a US soldier going to Iraq or Afghanistan with one rifle and one round of ammo? Everyone would agree that the idea is absurd to the point of being criminal.

Yet the "SAFE" act want to do this to the citizens of New York. Granted, New York is not Iraq, but does that mean NY citizens are NOT entitled to protect themselves should the need arise?

Please before screaming "we need more laws", ask yourself "what good are the current laws doing?" and "will a new law make any difference?". If you are honest with yourself, the answer will be "NO".

Thoughts?

ltorlo64
01-12-2015, 09:15 AM
I think it is a great post. Its strength is in showing that a gun law will not make people safer from criminals but will make criminals safer from law abiding citizens. The weakness is that liberals will not understand the argument as they think that the problem is the gun, not the user. You can't do anything about the weakness because the weakness is really in the liberal mind, not in the argument.

Krupski
01-12-2015, 09:22 AM
I think it is a great post. Its strength is in showing that a gun law will not make people safer from criminals but will make criminals safer from law abiding citizens. The weakness is that liberals will not understand the argument as they think that the problem is the gun, not the user. You can't do anything about the weakness because the weakness is really in the liberal mind, not in the argument.

I tried to avoid the usual screaming that "It's my second amendment right dammit!" and instead methodically explain why the current system (i.e. gun laws) is ineffective.

I also tried to write it in a way that you have to agree with the first part, which leads to the next part, which leads to the next part.

I think anyone who disagrees with what I wrote is only lying to themselves. Even if they hate guns, they cannot truthfully say that anything I wrote is "false" (which I think strengthens our position).

Of course, it's an exercise in futility. The gun grabbers will still grab, and we will still have to slap their grabbing hands away. Samey-same.

Woogiebear
01-12-2015, 10:14 AM
I thought it was a well put together post and if you don't mind I would like to use it in the future should I ever encounter someone who is of the delusional mindset. I am not very well spoken, but if I had several copies of this along with the article I could just hand them out to people when ever they start spouting nonsensical BS. Granted, I don't encounter many people who are apposed to gun rights and supporting our Constitution, Bill of Rights, and such but when I do I feel I don't do the arguement justice.
Again, great post. I just wish that most Americans thought like we do and understood the entire impact of what is happening.

5.56NATO
01-12-2015, 11:48 AM
Also you might point out that criminals by definition do not obey law, so antigun legislation has little to no impact upon criminal operations - just like every other law. Most criminals obtain their arms by stealing them or trading illicit goods for stolen arms so 5 day waiting periods and background checks are pointless.

Hobe Sound AK
01-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Remember what some Liberal Whore Posted last Year about a Woman being Raped? I can't remember the name of the Bitch, but she basically said That an Unarmed Woman who was Killed by her Rapist, was Morally better than the Woman who Killed her Attacker with her Pistol! Unreal!

stevelyn
01-13-2015, 07:04 AM
Looks good, but the story takes place in NY and you are truly casting pearls of wisdom before swine.

Schuetzenman
01-13-2015, 07:18 AM
Thoughts ... you wasted your time. You're making a case to sway insane people to think sanely. It never works. You should of used Criminal where you used the term Civil. That's about it.

ltorlo64
01-13-2015, 08:27 AM
I also thought your use of soldiers and police having to be trained to shoot people as civilized, sane people do not want to hurt other people. This is a point that is lost on liberals and gun rights opponents as they almost always default to "more guns will make us like the old west. There will be shootings everywhere." When the exact opposite is true. In fact, since I have lived in Washington, DC with all the restrictive gun laws that go with it, I hear about more shootings each day than I would hear about in a month in Washington state, where the ability to own firearms is much less controlled.