PDA

View Full Version : Gunbroker find, or how to ruin a rare rifle.

imanaknut
01-13-2015, 11:33 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=463231660

Saw the price, really good. Saw the seller not too far from me. Then saw the picture.

Oh the humanity.

Aggressive Perfector
01-14-2015, 02:09 AM
Other than the furniture and muzzle break I'm not a fan of, I see nothing wrong with it at first glance. looks like a standard Arsenal SLR 95. :confused:

tank_monkey
01-14-2015, 03:21 AM
Other than the furniture and muzzle break I'm not a fan of, I see nothing wrong with it at first glance. looks like a standard Arsenal SLR 95. :confused:

I concur. At first glance, nothing that you can't fix yourself. Unless you're seeing something that we are missing.

Schuetzenman
01-14-2015, 06:33 AM
I owned an SLR-95 but can't recall if it had a scope mount on the left side as Original Equipment. Otherwise I can't really see much wrong with it other than the grip is not correct. Bet it also doesn't have a bottom tang. When I unsantized mine I actually installed a Bulgarian lower tang and riveted it to the lower as it should be.

Helen Keller
01-14-2015, 12:52 PM
newp, surplus side rail.

meh..

imanaknut
01-14-2015, 01:06 PM
SLR-95 did not come from the factory with a side rail. Sure it can be removed, and I guess the holes welded up and the receiver refinished, but...

Helen Keller
01-14-2015, 01:10 PM
or you could just rivet the holes shut.

:lool:

I need some plum spraypaint cause Im not shelling out what K-var wants for furniture for my SGL-21

Aggressive Perfector
01-14-2015, 04:09 PM
Provided the rail was installed correctly, I fail to see how this is ruined. IMO a side mount is the best option for attaching optics to an AK.

imanaknut
01-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Provided the rail was installed correctly, I fail to see how this is ruined. IMO a side mount is the best option for attaching optics to an AK.

I guess you would have to be a collector to understand how installing a side rail, or any other permanent modification to a rare rifle would ruin it's collector's value.

recon
01-19-2015, 11:39 PM
I see nothing wrong either but that's just me! Good price he got it for though. Sorry Nut.

El Laton Caliente
01-20-2015, 12:01 AM
I guess you would have to be a collector to understand how installing a side rail, or any other permanent modification to a rare rifle would ruin it's collector's value.

I do not own a Legend because of just that... every one I find at a gun show has the mod....

Escobert
01-20-2015, 09:25 PM
I'm not a collector so it wouldn't bother me at all :)

Aggressive Perfector
01-21-2015, 04:45 PM
I could look at this from a collector stand point, except this isn't exactly a "rare" or even "uncommon" preban rifle. It's a model currently in production that you can find all over the place new in box.

Partisan1983
01-21-2015, 05:07 PM
For once you have me really puzzled 'Nut ???

How is a SLR-95 rare?

There had to have been more than 10,000 imported !?!?!

Am I missing something :gruebel:

imanaknut
01-21-2015, 05:16 PM
I could look at this from a collector stand point, except this isn't exactly a "rare" or even "uncommon" preban rifle. It's a model currently in production that you can find all over the place new in box.

I guess I really am out of touch if I thought that the SLR-95 stopped being imported during the clinton stupidity.

For once you have me really puzzled 'Nut ???

How is a SLR-95 rare?

There had to have been more than 10,000 imported !?!?!

Am I missing something :gruebel:

I'll admit am not aware of the actual number imported. Based on how importers brought rifles in with ATF approval, and how Arsenal liked to keep number low/prices high I honestly have no idea how many were imported, but knowing importers as well as I do can't imagine that many, but none-the-less cannot offer an honest alternative number.

Unfortunately there is not much data on the SLR-95, and nobody seems to have import numbers.
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/23-bulgarian/136387-bulgarian-milled-imports-resource-guide.html

Partisan1983
01-22-2015, 05:20 PM
I thought about this all day at work and you are right 'Nut.

Arsenal is a VERY shady company to begin with. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any other manufacture that actually has blood on their hands like Arsenal (but that's a bit off topic).

I swear they hired ex-KGB/Russian thugs in the early to mid 90's...let us never forget the whole kvar and Chief Thunder fiasco (that has Arsenal's fingerprints all over it).

A un-molested SLR-95 is now A rare find, considering I can't remember the last time I have seen one in person.

Aggressive Perfector
01-27-2015, 11:17 PM
It appears I may have actually screwed up, I didn't realize that Arsenal had so many milled variants. But what that guy is posting, if it is a SLR95, has already made other modifications, so the scope mount still couldn't possibly be hurting much could it?

recon
01-28-2015, 12:02 AM
I don't think so. It sold for $842. Good deal there.

steelmonkey
02-13-2015, 02:37 PM
I would've used real Bulgy AK hardwood furniture, that's what I did to mine. That mount is aftermarket. Looks like it comes with a ((10)) waffle mag which is cool, better than magpul or tapco for sure