PDA

View Full Version : Saw American Sniper last night

El Duce
01-16-2015, 08:59 AM
Went with my Son and his friend. Theater was pretty full. Decent movie. Plot revolved more around the relationship with his wife more than anything I think. Both boys were left at the end of the movie...WTF was that? Glad that I saw it. But would have been MUCH happier if I had waited to see it from the red box.

skorpion
01-16-2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. I've been wanting to see it but will take your word for it and wait to watch it at home.

El Duce
01-16-2015, 11:33 AM
It was about 60/40 relationship/combat. I can't really think of an advantage to have seen it on a big screen. Wife didn't go, and thankfully I am happy that I didn't have to spend another 8 bucks or so on admission.

Me and the two boys, and a bag of popcorn. 30.00. Would have rather had my son and his friends over for the night. 2 dollar rental, spend the rest on pizza. Oh, and my son was kind of heart broken at the end. (He didn't know that Kyle had been killed.)

deth502
01-16-2015, 03:53 PM
watched in online for free last weekend. decent movie, not great. i do plan on going to see it in theaters though, just to support the movie. a portion of the proceeds is supposed to go to kyle's wife to pay off his lawsuit for being a liar.

Schuetzenman
01-16-2015, 04:36 PM
The report of what the movie was really about does not surprise me given the interviews that the wife has given on TV. I expected it to be primarily about their relationship. On the Ventura law suit from what I read, the wife had witnesses that testified that Kyle did knock Ventura on his ass but for some reason the judge still found in Ventura's favor. When a judge does the verdict I sometimes feel that they can be compromised vs. when 12 make the decision.

deth502
01-16-2015, 05:58 PM
The report of what the movie was really about does not surprise me given the interviews that the wife has given on TV. I expected it to be primarily about their relationship. On the Ventura law suit from what I read, the wife had witnesses that testified that Kyle did knock Ventura on his ass but for some reason the judge still found in Ventura's favor. When a judge does the verdict I sometimes feel that they can be compromised vs. when 12 make the decision.

from what i heard, the story was it happened in a bar room full of people, at the time, kyle might have not been well known enough to be publicly recognizable, but ventura surely was. for a "famous" person to come into a crowded bar, and get beat up, and have NO ONE AT ALL see it, except for his wife, ill side with the judge on this one. i think kyle lied to pad his book and make it more interesting, and got called on it. not that that denigrates what he did do. and i think ventura is a huge douche for being such a dick about the whole thing. i can see recovering court costs and "clearing his name" but taking any money over that is just assholeish, imo.

FunkyPertwee
01-16-2015, 06:18 PM
from what i heard, the story was it happened in a bar room full of people, at the time, kyle might have not been well known enough to be publicly recognizable, but ventura surely was. for a "famous" person to come into a crowded bar, and get beat up, and have NO ONE AT ALL see it, except for his wife, ill side with the judge on this one. i think kyle lied to pad his book and make it more interesting, and got called on it. not that that denigrates what he did do. and i think ventura is a huge douche for being such a dick about the whole thing. i can see recovering court costs and "clearing his name" but taking any money over that is just assholeish, imo.

Agreed except for a few points.

I've heard it suggested that Ventura's "superiors" ordered him to sue Kyle's estate in order to preserve the honor of his graduating class.

Ventura has some wacky conspiracy theories, but I can't believe that he would say that he hates the SEALs and wishes they would die because they kill innocent women and children. I can believe that he would take being a SEAL so seriously that he would follow orders from a retired old man in order to preserve his interpretation of honor.

Escobert
01-17-2015, 07:27 AM
Agreed except for a few points.

I've heard it suggested that Ventura's "superiors" ordered him to sue Kyle's estate in order to preserve the honor of his graduating class.

Ventura has some wacky conspiracy theories, but I can't believe that he would say that he hates the SEALs and wishes they would die because they kill innocent women and children. I can believe that he would take being a SEAL so seriously that he would follow orders from a retired old man in order to preserve his interpretation of honor.

he denies ever saying that, like you said. He says he hates that the entire thing happened since so many military and SEALS are now against him. And, at this point I'd say he's probably more right about the government and it's intentions than most people on TV/Radio. they aren't up to anything good.

01-17-2015, 09:28 PM
We saw it last night and I'm still trying to decide how good it was. The problem was, I had a brain fart and was trying to associate the SEAL training and Kyles brother to the lone survivor book I read....derp. :losing-it:

I'll watch it again though for sure.

ubersoldate
01-18-2015, 08:59 PM
I really liked the movie.

btcave
01-18-2015, 10:41 PM
I saw it tonight with my wife. She was home during my multiple deployments, so we both related to the film. It's a good movie.

skorpion
01-18-2015, 10:45 PM
This movie set a record for an opening weekend at almost $100 million. Impressive.

ubersoldate
01-19-2015, 01:07 AM
This movie set a record for an opening weekend at almost $100 million. Impressive.

I had to drive for an hour off my mountain to get to a little theater. I figured there would be no one there at a 1pm showing on a Sunday, and the place was PACKED.
A freekin line to get in.
They said thats never happened before.

Afterwards on my way home, I was really proud to think that even here in Khalifornistan, good people will still come out for a real American hero.

alismith
01-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Of course, the idiot, ultra-liberal, head-up-his-ass, Michael Moore hated the movie and hated Kyle for being what he called a "coward," as, he says, all snipers are. What a douche. Of course, he LOVED, Selma, go figure....

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/american-sniper-targeted-michael-moore-230120523.html

skorpion
01-19-2015, 11:44 AM
I had to drive for an hour off my mountain to get to a little theater. I figured there would be no one there at a 1pm showing on a Sunday, and the place was PACKED.

Afterwards on my way home, I was really proud to think that even here in Khalifornistan, good people will still come out for a real American hero.
That's enough to give a fella a warm fuzzy feeling inside. A movie comes out about a true, real-life American hero and people come out in droves to see it.

Of course, the idiot, ultra-liberal, head-up-his-ass, Michael Moore hated the movie and hated Kyle for being what he called a "coward," as, he says, all snipers are. What a douche. Of course, he LOVED, Selma, go figure....

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/american-sniper-targeted-michael-moore-230120523.html
I would love to see that festering, over-flowing septic tank on two legs try to survive one day following a deployed military member on a patrol or a mission in the hot zone. Then he would find out who the coward is...

NAPOTS
01-19-2015, 11:54 AM
Well if Michael Moore doesn't like it I may just have to go see it.

rktman
01-19-2015, 01:37 PM

Same here in the Missouri sticks... My theater usually has plenty of seating, even on opening night of blockbusters.
They sold out both showings. It makes you realize where many soldiers come from...

jet3534
01-19-2015, 02:11 PM
The claims of having killed people in New Orleans after Katrina or killing two guys in a gas station parking lot (if my memory is correct) who attempted to rob him make Kyle's veracity questionable and therefore make his claims regarding punching out Jessie Ventura questionable. This is not to say he is not a hero who served his country and deserves a great deal of respect.

alismith
01-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Michael Moore and Seth Rogen are backpedaling on their comments about American Sniper now. It seems they received a lot of negative comments from people who read their tweets.

Now, like all good Liberals, they are claiming that their comments were taken out of context and that they really liked the movie...

Yeah, right... More Liberal double-speak and covering their tracks....

L1A1Rocker
01-20-2015, 10:39 AM

Actually, it happened in the back room of a bar that had limited access. It was kind of an unofficial VIP area. IIRC, the only ones present in that back room were SEAL type folks. The witnesses all said that the incident happened. BUT, there were many witness conflicts as to what happened immediately afterword. As a result the judge found the witness testimony "questionable".

IF this really didn't happen, I understand Ventura perusing it. BUT, if Ventura had any honor at all, he would not have accepted the monetary award. A person of honor would have mad a statement after wining to the affect of. "My name and reputation are restored, that is all I really wanted, and I'm forgoing the the monetary award. My intention was never to cause any harm to Kyle's family, only to restore my name."

But no, that peace of crap Ventura is going full bore trying to get his pound of flesh from Kyle's widow. He is scum.

deth502
01-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Michael Moore and Seth Rogen are backpedaling on their comments about American Sniper now. It seems they received a lot of negative comments from people who read their tweets.

Now, like all good Liberals, they are claiming that their comments were taken out of context and that they really liked the movie...

Yeah, right... More Liberal double-speak and covering their tracks....

i saw all kinds of trending stories about this on fb this morning, but couldnt read them as i had to go to work. i was intrigued to see all the shit these idiots brought upon themselves.

i just got done reading a few articles, and i have to say, not that they arent liberal douchers, but i do kinda think the little things they said were made out to be much bigger than they were.

im sure they *think* what people are bitching about, but what they actually said does not come close to the sentiments that are being attributed to them.

again, im not sticking up for moore, and it makes me sick to feel that it might look like i am, but i am just fed up with any and all "news" and the media. BOTH side are nothing but attention whoring loudmouths that have to blow everything out of proportion and report about how the sky is constantly falling to be more sensational than the last just for veiwership. the truth dosent matter any more, no one give a fuck about the truth, only ratings.

deth502
01-20-2015, 05:14 PM
BUT, if Ventura had any honor at all, he would not have accepted the monetary award. A person of honor would have mad a statement after wining to the affect of. "My name and reputation are restored, that is all I really wanted, and I'm forgoing the the monetary award. My intention was never to cause any harm to Kyle's family, only to restore my name."

But no, that peace of crap Ventura is going full bore trying to get his pound of flesh from Kyle's widow. He is scum.

this in a nutshell. like i said, i thnk he was just trying to pad his book, lots of authors do it. then again, he could have been that drunk that he saw someone and truthfully thought it was ventura, who knows. but the bottom line, true or not, is that ^^^

Aggressive Perfector
01-22-2015, 02:33 AM
I'm not going to weigh in on this Ventura nonsense. It's a b/s dispute between two men that none of us took part in.

I have yet to read his book, but I did watch this movie. All the shit in the movie with his wife and such... It's just a look at the toll his service took on his family. This movie obviously wasn't intended to be the sniper version of Black Hawk Down, nor was it an over the top highly fictionalized account of his service (did we really want to see this spun into a bad 1980's Arnold Schwatzenegger flick?). I'd be lying if I said I was in love with the movie, but it was very well done. My two cents, the guy is an American bad ass and a hero. He worked with Veterans suffering from PTSD after his return, something he dealt with to some extent himself, and ultimately lost his life doing. I won't be shit talking the man.

5.56NATO
01-25-2015, 01:56 PM
And in other news;
US Muslims threatened after 'American Sniper'
Washington (AFP) - Muslims are facing increased threats in the United States after the release of the movie "American Sniper," an American-Arab organization said in letters to director Clint Eastwood and star Bradley Cooper.

In the open letters released earlier this week, the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) said there has been a spike in violent threats against Muslims due to the film that portrays the story of an American sniper during the Iraq war.

"A majority of the violent threats we have seen over the past few days are (a) result of how Arab and Muslims are depicted in American Sniper," the ADC said.
http://news.yahoo.com/us-muslims-threatened-american-sniper-224720836.html

For some reason I bet if investigated those threats will have been phoned in from phones owned by muslims.

LAGC
01-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Man, here I came into this thread looking to burst the "Myth of Kyle" bubble, but I see everyone has already beaten me to it (the nasty Ventura business, lying about many of his combat experiences, etc.)

I won't deny he's certainly served his country, maybe not as honorably as the movie tries to glamorize, but I still think he's a dumbass for taking someone just two days released fresh out of a mental hospital (against family wishes) to the gun range to "vent steam." I understand trying to help veterans diagnosed with PTSD, but you don't let untreated fucking schizophrenics anywhere near a fucking weapon unless you have a very serious death wish. I don't care how badass you think you are.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/01/22/the-trial-of-eddie-routh-the-man-who-killed-chris-kyle-will-be-american-snipers-darkest-chapter/

The whole incident was an anti's propaganda wet dream: "irresponsible gun owners", "deaths at the gun range", "why vets with PTSD shouldn't be trusted to own guns so we need universal background checks" -- the whole trifecta.

He should have stuck to pimping his book and making up more lies about Jesse Ventura instead of giving the antis so much ammo from his short-sighted actions.

N/A
01-25-2015, 04:11 PM
Little Marxist, you're part of the gene pool that needs a good douching...

LAGC
01-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Little Marxist, you're part of the gene pool that needs a good douching...

Say what you will, but I still think Enemy at the Gates was a far better sniper flick from everything I've heard so far. ;)

N/A
01-26-2015, 07:07 PM
Odd, you switched from calling Kyle a liar and fraud to saying you hear another movie is better....like one has something to do with the other. Never having served in the military in any kind of MOS, you can tell when a bona fide veteran is lying by hearing another movie is better than the one made about him.

Little marxist, like a good commie, why don't you sacrifice yourself for the greater good of mankind.

01-26-2015, 07:31 PM
It's what he's heard, not what he knows.

N/A
01-26-2015, 08:04 PM
It's what he's heard, not what he knows.

Yep, and like a former President said..."they know so much that isn't true.".