PDA

View Full Version : George Will on Mitt Romney's Prospects for 2016

LAGC
01-18-2015, 10:24 AM
After his third loss, in 1908, as the Democratic presidential nominee, William Jennings Bryan enjoyed telling the story of the drunk who three times tried to enter a private club. After being tossed out into the street a third time, the drunk said: “They can’t fool me. Those fellows don’t want me in there!”
The nation was mired in a disappointing recovery, upward mobility had stalled and the incumbent president’s signature achievement was unpopular and becoming more so. Barack Obama, far from being a formidable politician, was between the seismic repudiations of 2010 and 2014. Running against Romney, Obama became the first president to win a second term with smaller percentages of both the popular and electoral votes. He got 3.6 million fewer votes and a lower percentage of the electoral vote. Yet Romney lost all but one (North Carolina) of the 10 battleground states. He narrowly lost Florida, Virginia and Ohio, but even if he had carried all three, Obama still would have won with 272 electoral votes.
In the six presidential elections beginning in 1992, Democratic candidates have averaged 327 electoral votes, Republicans just 211. Republicans have lost the popular vote in five of the last six and have not won a decisive popular-vote victory since 1988. And no candidate before Romney lost while winning 59 percent of the white vote, which was almost 90 percent of his support. George H.W. Bush won about that portion in 1988 but captured 426 electoral votes. Romney got just 206. The white portion of the vote has shrunk 15 points to 72 percent in the six presidential elections since 1992. With the fastest-growing ethnic group, Asian Americans, Romney did even worse (21 percent) than he did with Hispanics (27 percent).

One more discouraging word about Romney 3.0: Massachusetts. Only two presidential candidates, James Polk in 1844 and Woodrow Wilson in 1916, have been elected while losing their home states.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-will-romneys-third-presidential-run-would-be-no-charm/2015/01/16/c5c331e6-9ce0-11e4-bcfb-059ec7a93ddc_story.html

GO FOR IT MITT!!! Third time's a charm!! Everyone will vote for the Mormon this time around, you'll see!!

:laughingtohard:

5.56NATO
01-18-2015, 10:29 AM
What difference does it make?
He's the 100 percent caucasian 0bama.
It was Romneycare before it was 0bamacare.
He even signed awb legislation.

Hillary/Jeb 2016!

Because what difference does it make?

CigarGuy
01-18-2015, 10:44 AM
There was some speculation that Jeb/Mitt/Christie would duke it out for the "moderate" wing
and the others would go for the Conservative wing, winnowing down to the winners of both
groups at the end.
FOXNEWS, I think, had like 23 "viable" candidates?

Ruskiegunlover
01-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Maybe we need to start a website, or youtube videos that state 'we won't vote for these people' and start liking them to show how many of us won't do it. Absolutely will not. Maybe that will get a point across.

ltorlo64
01-18-2015, 11:42 AM
Had the second Presidential Debate not been sabotaged against Governor Romney by the moderator, and had the MSM not perpetrated the lies about what happened in Libya that were told by the President and his staff, things might have turned out much differently. When it is more important to maintain power at any costs though, and you agree with those in power, I guess you can overlook the loss if integrity. Well, actually, to lose integrity implies that there was some there to begin with, and there is not much with this administration and its collusion with the news media, especially CNN and MSNBC.

LAGC
01-18-2015, 11:53 AM
Had the second Presidential Debate not been sabotaged against Governor Romney by the moderator,

Oh, I think he sabotaged himself long before that. I mean, what did he really ever stand for? Truly?

I mean, other than being "against Obamacare" and the "47% of people who were never going to vote for me anyway", when did he ever take a position on ANYTHING?

He was truly the epitome of the "Empty Suit" -- in the end, not even his corporate handlers could keep him propped up.

Even Chris Christie could see the writing on the wall -- him bailing and embracing Obama there near the end of the campaign, the final nail in the coffin.

What a pitiful showing against a very unpopular president, with record high unemployment and anemic economic growth. I've never seen anything more pathetic in my life.

:coffee:

l921428x
01-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Oh, I think he sabotaged himself long before that. I mean, what did he really ever stand for? Truly?

I mean, other than being "against Obamacare" and the "47% of people who were never going to vote for me anyway", when did he ever take a position on ANYTHING?

He was truly the epitome of the "Empty Suit" -- in the end, not even his corporate handlers could keep him propped up.

Even Chris Christie could see the writing on the wall -- him bailing and embracing Obama there near the end of the campaign, the final nail in the coffin.

What a pitiful showing against a very unpopular president, with record high unemployment and anemic economic growth. I've never seen anything more pathetic in my life.

once again you forget the media picked him to run, just as they did McCain. then after the campaign starts the media releases the attack dogs to pick whoever they picked apart.
just an observation.

ltorlo64
01-18-2015, 05:08 PM

I could answer your question but I know I would be wasting my time. You could look up the information but there is no reason as you have already made up your mind that you will not find anything. I will point out that almost everything that Romney said were concerns, for which Obama and the press laughed at him and called him naïve, have turned out to be true. But just keep remembering the CNN/MSNBC/DNC talking points as they are what make you happy and require the least amount of critical thought.

N/A
01-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Mormon

:laughingtohard:

This is all you need to know about this thread. like a good commie has a hard on for LDS people.

Goodman
01-19-2015, 09:48 AM
This is all you need to know about this thread. like a good commie has a hard on for LDS people.
Wow.
So Mormon is okay, but insert Jew, Muslim, A-rab, towel head, or n.....r etc. etc. and you're a hater?

N/A
01-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Maybe you could explain that a little bit. I'm not sure how you tied all those others in here, or how my pointing out that little Marxist hates Mormons translates to me hateing anyone.

Goodman
01-19-2015, 10:56 AM
It's a broad comment. If one takes particular note of religion or ethnicity of certain groups you are labeled racist or something similar. Evidently Mormons are lumped in with Christians and Caucasians- it is OK to generalize them as a group and doing so doesn't show any prejudice on the part of the speaker.
Edit: wasn't aimed at you