PDA

View Full Version : Another Subway Fire, This Time In France

ltorlo64
01-18-2015, 11:26 AM
More specifically, on the France side of one of the tunnels under the English Channel that provides train service between England and France. Appears to be another electrical fire. Interesting.

http://news.sky.com/story/1409783/eurotunnel-resume-services-after-lorry-fire

Richard Simmons
01-18-2015, 11:38 AM
This makes the sixth fire since 1996. Not exactly unheard of but I guess it could be part of something bigger?

ltorlo64
01-18-2015, 11:45 AM
This makes the sixth fire since 1996. Not exactly unheard of but I guess it could be part of something bigger?

I am watching 3 subway fires (DC, NYC, and this one) in about a week. That seems to be an unusual cluster. Could be nothing, but it just bears watching.

Richard Simmons
01-18-2015, 11:53 AM
I am watching 3 subway fires (DC, NYC, and this one) in about a week. That seems to be an unusual cluster. Could be nothing, but it just bears watching.

It might be. How many other subways or rail systems, worldwide had fires in the last week? How many fires does the NYC subway system have in a year, 2, 52, 118? I'm sure not all get reported, they just get put out by the Fire dept. Like I said, might very well be the beginnings of a planned attack or other terrorist action. Might not?

alismith
01-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Let's lay out the situation:

electrical fire in subway - electrical malfunction...

electrical fire in subway - pissed off Muslims in vicinity...

You pick which one seems more likely....Hummm....

Richard Simmons
01-18-2015, 01:12 PM

Logically I'd say electrical malfunction as I haven't seen the surveillance footage of the nearby, "pissed off Muslims" causing the fire. Were these Muslims viewed at all three fires?

ltorlo64
01-18-2015, 01:25 PM
It might be. How many other subways or rail systems, worldwide had fires in the last week? How many fires does the NYC subway system have in a year, 2, 52, 118? I'm sure not all get reported, they just get put out by the Fire dept. Like I said, might very well be the beginnings of a planned attack or other terrorist action. Might not?

I agree and with the terrorist attacks last week and the fact that the fire in DC resulted in a fatality could have lowered the threshold of the media actually reporting on them. I can tell you it has been a while before the DC fire that I had heard of a fire on any subway/train system. If there had been one here in DC it would be big news because so many people rely on the Metrorail system to get where they are going and there was not one reported in the 2 years I have lived here.

ltorlo64
01-18-2015, 01:34 PM

With the first one during DC rush hour I thought it was just a malfunction. The 3 days later another fire during rush hour in NYC was interesting. A couple of days later and another fire in a busy subway/train system. Still not sure it is anything more than malfunctions, but they are very close together.