PDA

View Full Version : Cuban classic 50s cars.

Paradox
01-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Who do you think will be down there with cash in hand to buy those cars? Individuals or a corporate sponsor? Both?

NAPOTS
01-22-2015, 09:08 PM
IMHO that entire country has a coastal climate with a high salt content in the air. I would bet most of those cars are rolling death traps once you really started looking at them. Probably more bondo than sheetmetal at this point.

rci2950
01-23-2015, 04:09 AM
I lived on Vancouver island for a while and there were cars there from the 60's and 70's with absolutely no rust. The most extreme example of this that i personally experienced was an early 70's volvo with absolutely every speck of paint gone off it. just bare metal over the entire thing and there was no rust. I drove a 1989 Saab while i was there that i got for a song and it had no rust. almost 180,000 miles on it and even the exhaust manifold was still silver.

Edit: on the other hand i could only imagine what the inside would be like after being used non stop for that long in a third world country.

skorpion
01-23-2015, 08:01 AM
IMHO that entire country has a coastal climate with a high salt content in the air. I would bet most of those cars are rolling death traps once you really started looking at them. Probably more bondo than sheetmetal at this point.Yep. I wouldn't pay a dime for any of those cars. They are probably so pieced-together after all these years that they could be real-life examples of the car in the Johnny Cash song. If anything, those cars are modern abstract art masterpieces.

http://youtu.be/rWHniL8MyMM

whiskeyman
01-24-2015, 10:14 AM
The most value in an antique automobile is the title and ID plates.

NAPOTS
01-24-2015, 11:48 AM
The most value in an antique automobile is the title and ID plates.

What so some jackass can cut the VIN off of the frame and weld it onto a reproduction frame, build a new car up from scratch and sell it at an auction for $1M as a "cuban survivor"?

chiak47
01-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Most have old soviet diesel power under the hoods....