PDA

View Full Version : So Much For Building An AR

ltorlo64
10-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Some may remember that I was getting pretty excited about building my first AR. Well, I have had to change my mind on this. Not so much change my mind as put it off. I have decided to stay in the Navy for a few (possible up to 12) more years, during which time I will almost certainly go to either California or Hawaii. Neither of those states is very friendly towards gun owners. I haven't checked Hawaii yet, but I know they are trying to classify my M1 Carbine as an "assault rifle", which will make illegal in California. Given this, I think I will wait on building my rifle until I know I will not be going somewhere where I can't take it.

On a positive note, I have decided to start stocking up on ammo for my other weapons!

NewbieAKguy
10-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Well I wish you congrats and, I guess that sucks towards Kalifornia and Hawaii. Hawaii is already taking a hit in their economy lately, do they really want to risk alienating gun owners and lose cherished tourist dollars?

Can you just leave it with a family member in friendly state and build one over time? I konw it'd be huge PITA, but do what you gotta do. Don't let them drag u down!!! :D

ltorlo64
10-06-2010, 11:16 PM
I am not sure who I would leave it with, though I have thought about it. I have a friend who has told me "he would take care of it for me". Actually, I trust him to take very good care of it, but if I build it, I really want it with me. Not letting it get me down though. Buying ammo is almost as good.

NewbieAKguy
10-06-2010, 11:55 PM
This is true.

Uncle Scary
10-07-2010, 12:38 AM
If you get stationed at Port Mugu in Ventura County, send me a pm and I'll show you some neat places to shoot your M-1 Carbine Assault Weapon.

ubersoldate
10-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Yea the laws in California are ridculous. I mean just complete lack of rights type of stuff.

We find out on the 11th whats going to happen with the ammo law.

With my move to California soon, I have shuttled all my evil weapons back to my family members property in Texas, and plan on shooting my milsurps, and remington 700s.

It will be fun but I am going to try to get my ccw there as well. I got my first CCW thirty days after I landed in the states in 1991, and have had one ever since, Ill be damned if I let California break that record!

Good luck either way..

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Some may remember that I was getting pretty excited about building my first AR. Well, I have had to change my mind on this. Not so much change my mind as put it off. I have decided to stay in the Navy for a few (possible up to 12) more years, during which time I will almost certainly go to either California or Hawaii. Neither of those states is very friendly towards gun owners. I haven't checked Hawaii yet, but I know they are trying to classify my M1 Carbine as an "assault rifle", which will make illegal in California. Given this, I think I will wait on building my rifle until I know I will not be going somewhere where I can't take it.

On a positive note, I have decided to start stocking up on ammo for my other weapons!
What are you smoking man? You can buy an M1 in Cali. Completely un-adulterated!

You can also buy Ar's, Ak's, XCR's Sig's, albeit with some stupid shit done to the mag release. (Or the grip depending on which "evil" feature you think you'd rather live without.)

There's nothing to stop you from building an Ar in this state, in fact, it's probably the most comon way to get one here. Most gun owners do it just to say @$%#$ YOU to the terrified fascists in Sacto.

O.S.O.K.
10-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I was going to say - Gonzo beat me to it. Just go with a (completely reversible) "bullet button" mag release on the AR.

Uber - I hope you're keeping your AR's and such... at least a good SKS!

deth502
10-07-2010, 11:39 AM
idk much about it, but heres a lead...

if you check out militaryfirearm.com, the owner there, m1tanker, i know is currently stationed in hawaii. ive seen a post or 2 of him talking about whats needed to be done to own them there. im sure he could give you some more info on that.

Uncle Scary
10-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Yea the laws in California are ridculous. I mean just complete lack of rights type of stuff.

We find out on the 11th whats going to happen with the ammo law.

With my move to California soon, I have shuttled all my evil weapons back to my family members property in Texas, and plan on shooting my milsurps, and remington 700s.

It's my opinion that law enforcement does not make a point of enforcing those draconian laws unless you're doing something else that brings attention to yourself. Anytime I hear about somebody being busted for an AW violation, it's because they're trafficking weapons to gang members or the weapons are discovered during the course of a drug raid.

I see more EBRs with illegal features at local gun ranges than ones that are configured legally. That said, full auto will definitely bring unwanted attention to yourself. Leave those in TX.

ubersoldate
10-07-2010, 06:36 PM
It's my opinion that law enforcement does not make a point of enforcing those draconian laws unless you're doing something else that brings attention to yourself. Anytime I hear about somebody being busted for an AW violation, it's because they're trafficking weapons to gang members or the weapons are discovered during the course of a drug raid.

I see more EBRs with illegal features at local gun ranges than ones that are configured legally. That said, full auto will definitely bring unwanted attention to yourself. Leave those in TX.

Yea thats what ive been told as well.
Should be nice up in real small towns, and the ability to shoot on my own property, not a public range.

But as my family up in that area have already told me. "guns in california are like gays in the military"

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-07-2010, 07:01 PM
But as my family up in that area have already told me. "guns in california are like gays in the military"
Christ. You should move farther north then. Up in Shasta county, you're the odd ball if you're not armed!

Uncle Scary
10-07-2010, 09:29 PM

What my guns do in the safe is not my business. I don't ask and they don't tell.

ubersoldate
10-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Christ. You should move farther north then. Up in Shasta county, you're the odd ball if you're not armed!

They are armed to the teeth!
I took it more like, whatever guns you own, and shoot are on a dont ask dont tell policy when it comes to anyone you dont know.

ltorlo64
10-07-2010, 11:11 PM
What are you smoking man? You can buy an M1 in Cali. Completely un-adulterated!

You can also buy Ar's, Ak's, XCR's Sig's, albeit with some stupid shit done to the mag release. (Or the grip depending on which "evil" feature you think you'd rather live without.)

There's nothing to stop you from building an Ar in this state, in fact, it's probably the most comon way to get one here. Most gun owners do it just to say @$%#$ YOU to the terrified fascists in Sacto.

I know I can get a M1 Carbine in California, that is actually where I purchased mine. Though I did order it from CMP. It was a bother finding magazines for it, since most are either 15 or 30 round.

I have read about the laws about the AR, but I don't have much physical understanding of how they effect the weapon. For instance, you are supposed to make the AR so it either cannot accept any magazine greater than 10 rounds, or you have to permanently install a magazine that is 10 rounds or less. I guess I don't understand how you can modify a rifle in that way and then put it back to normal when you get to a state what supports the Constitution and BORs.

ltorlo64
10-07-2010, 11:13 PM
idk much about it, but heres a lead...

if you check out militaryfirearm.com, the owner there, m1tanker, i know is currently stationed in hawaii. ive seen a post or 2 of him talking about whats needed to be done to own them there. im sure he could give you some more info on that.

I am sort of hoping to not go to Hawaii. My wife and daughter, on the other hand, are hoping this is where we go. It would only be for a year to 18 months, sort of a long visit.

Uncle Scary
10-08-2010, 08:50 AM
I have read about the laws about the AR, but I don't have much physical understanding of how they effect the weapon. For instance, you are supposed to make the AR so it either cannot accept any magazine greater than 10 rounds, or you have to permanently install a magazine that is 10 rounds or less.

You can still buy or assemble ARs that accept mags with greater than a 10 round capacity in California. You just have to install a bullet button and not use any mags with greater than a 10 round capacity.

O.S.O.K.
10-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Yep - the bullet button is a replacement for the mag release button and requires "a tool" in order to release the magazine. Called a bullet button because that's the "tool" most people use to remove the mag - the tip of a cartridge.

Later, when you move away or the law changes (!) - you can simply replace the silly device with a standard mag release.

So, no reason not to get that AR!

Unless you really just want to stock up on ammo.

Have you checked the laws on that? (not to open another can of worms....)

Uncle Scary
10-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Yep - the bullet button is a replacement for the mag release button and requires "a tool" in order to release the magazine. Called a bullet button because that's the "tool" most people use to remove the mag - the tip of a cartridge.

Later, when you move away or the law changes (!) - you can simply replace the silly device with a standard mag release.

Exactly. A bullet button can be installed or removed in one minute. No reason not to have an AR in Kali.

Starting next year, fingerprints and a driver's license or other ID will be needed to buy ammo. I expect ammo prices will increase as a result. No big deal. Gun stores in Nevada and Arizona will always be there right across the state line.

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I know I can get a M1 Carbine in California, that is actually where I purchased mine. Though I did order it from CMP. It was a bother finding magazines for it, since most are either 15 or 30 round.

I have read about the laws about the AR, but I don't have much physical understanding of how they effect the weapon. For instance, you are supposed to make the AR so it either cannot accept any magazine greater than 10 rounds, or you have to permanently install a magazine that is 10 rounds or less. I guess I don't understand how you can modify a rifle in that way and then put it back to normal when you get to a state what supports the Constitution and BORs.
Here's what you do. Build a the rifle WITHOUT a bayonet lug. Since it's a home build, you can use any gas block you want, and that shouldn't be a problem. Keep everything else normal except for the mag release.

Instal one of these: http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/bullet-button.html

There are several designs to choose from. For instance, I purchased one that simply has a small hex screw threaded through it that prevents the button from being depressed. Remove the screw and it will function as normal. (For when you're outside of cali)

Only purchase ten round mags while you live here.

That is a cali compliant AR.

Or, you can use one of these fugly things: http://www.monstermangrip.com/

And you can have a regular mag release, and use preban 30 round mags if you really want to shell out the bucks for one. Personally I was planning on just sticking to ten rounders, but I'm moving soon and that won't even be a concern anymore!

Just lose the bayo lug. (You are allowed ONE "evil feature". If you choose a pistol grip, you have to have the mag-lock. If you choose hi-cap mags and a normal mag release, you have to use the fugly grip. If you choose a bayo lug, you have to use the maglock AND the fugly grip. See?)

gunnutz
10-08-2010, 11:37 AM
http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/state-laws/29th-edition/index.html

ltorlo64
10-08-2010, 10:06 PM

I will be moving back to Washington for about a year, so stocking up on ammo should not be a problem. I guess with the stupid new laws here in California, no more ordering ammo on line. I wonder if that will apply to CMP as well or if they will be able to get around it like they do with shipping their rifles.

ltorlo64
10-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Everyone, thanks for the information, my wife may not be very happy with you. I have to think a little more about it. It sounds fairly easy to make the rifle compliant and I don't mind getting some low cap mags for it. I will have to check out the prices.

Uncle Scary
10-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Everyone, thanks for the information, my wife may not be very happy with you. I have to think a little more about it. It sounds fairly easy to make the rifle compliant and I don't mind getting some low cap mags for it. I will have to check out the prices.

Where in SoCal will you be stationed?

shadow65
10-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Get rid of the gangs, get rid of the illegals, and Kalifornia would not need the unconstitutional gun laws. They would not be broke either. But that won't happen.