PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here ever build a metal carport?

Altarboy
01-28-2015, 11:23 PM
I have a metal building I want to repair-namely replace several of the panels. How much drill do I need to run those self-tapping screws into the steel frame? I have a 9v that I know will not last long.

Altarboy
01-28-2015, 11:57 PM
Do I need a hammer drill?

Aggressive Perfector
01-29-2015, 12:03 AM
I put one together that my wifes great grandparents bought... Pure junk. Really thin sheet metal roof with galvanized steel tube frame screwed into a sheet metal track and bolted to concrete. Doesn't sound bad, until you get 6 inches of hard packed wet snow and ice piled on the roof. It collapsed immediately after her grandpa pulled the jeep out of it one morning, busted the railing off the walk way and destroyed the storm door. Fortunately it missed the jeep and her grandpa, but only barely. I used a 12v power drill on the self tapping screws. If what you bought was anything like this, be sure to keep the snow from piling up on it.

ubersoldate
01-29-2015, 12:45 AM
Impact driver?
I know I use a 18v rechargeable on decks, and I run em all day, no issues...

Altarboy
01-29-2015, 07:10 AM
This is a pretty heavy building, not a Lowe's special. I guess an 18v with two batteries will do .Thanks guys.

N/A
01-29-2015, 07:35 AM
18 volt Dewalts work great. Keep one battery on the charger. If you think you might need it later, get a Dewalt that is also a hammer drill. It will be real handy if you ever have to drill with a masonry bit.

NAPOTS
01-29-2015, 08:52 AM
you don't need a hammer drill for self tappers but like N/A said if you need to drive any anchors into concrete it's a must. I have been using an impact driver exclusively for driving screws and it works much better than a drill.

ubersoldate
01-29-2015, 10:02 PM
you don't need a hammer drill for self tappers but like N/A said if you need to drive any anchors into concrete it's a must. I have been using an impact driver exclusively for driving screws and it works much better than a drill.

This. Im a contractor who does a ton of decks, and drywall work, and I haven't used a drill in years, impacts are the way...

Altarboy
01-29-2015, 10:46 PM
So, I don't need a hammer drill or impact for self-tapping screws on this project?

NAPOTS
01-29-2015, 11:00 PM
So, I don't need a hammer drill or impact for self-tapping screws on this project?

they are two different things, hammer drill is like it says, it hammers the bit in. Try drilling into concrete or masonry with and without one and you will understand why you need one for that job.

Impact is like an air impact wrench but smaller and usually battery powered. Works great for getting screws driven and tight.

This is what I would use. Not sure what kind of batteries you have, there are so many different kinds now days.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Bare-Tool-DC825B-18-Volt-Cordless/dp/B002RT7K4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422590383&sr=8-1&keywords=dewalt+impact

FunkyPertwee
01-30-2015, 12:05 AM
Impacts are great in addition to a normal drill.

You don't always want the full-on power of the impact, and at others you'll want a hammer capability.

Strictly for running self-tappers through sheet metal, the impact will be great. Just remember to wear hearing protection. Your hearing as an old man won't care how macho you are now.