PDA

View Full Version : UT - Right to bear arms enforced in class

Gunreference1
10-07-2010, 05:22 AM
Right to bear arms enforced in class

By By APRIL ASHLAND

Published: Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Updated: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 09:10

The U.S. Constitution states that all people have the right to bear arms without infringement of the government, and Terry Camp, senior in political science and president of the USU College Republicans, said he supports this right.

Utah State University's policies and procedures contain only one mention of firearms and according to the policy, "Misconduct can be described as: Illegal or unauthorized possession or use of a firearm, ammunition, explosives, weapons, or dangerous chemicals on University property."

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.usustatesman.com/right-to-bear-arms-enforced-in-class-1.2356347

Steve

00RedZX-6R
10-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Why do the police always act like it is a bad thing for a citizen to carry a concealed weapon. This guy is acting like the cops are crack shot, and citizens can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Anyone that I know with a CCW practices quite often.

O.S.O.K.
10-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Well, you have to consider that a lot of LEO's are thinking that they are special. That because of their "training" and responsibility and such and in order to do their job, they are bestowed with the privaledge of carrying a firearm. The implication and understanding is that this firearm is to give them an advantage or at least put them on par with "the bad guys". It is also a status symbol to the general public.

So, they walk around equating armed "non LEO's" as bad guys. No, they're not thinking this, they just have this understanding ingrained in their psyche.

Now, with all of the relatively new CCW laws and citizens toting concealed, they are coming in contact with them and the initial response is "bad guy" and they have to mentally check themselves which is a conflictive mental activity and this creates stress in an already stressful situation. And a lot of LEO's handle this type of situation by becoming extremely "conservative" in their thinking - which is a mechanism they've learned to keep themselves alive.

They come off as being assholes. But they aren't intending that - they are just covering their ass while trying to mentally resolve the situation.

Make sense?

That's the way I see it.

And I think therefore, that all LEO's need to be trained up on legally armed citizens so as to create a positive response when they encounter them.

We really should be pushing for legislation to fund this specific training.

LEO's were thrust into a situation without being mentally prepared to deal with it.

Not the first time....

And the next thought is "how do we best deal with this as a legally armed citizen?"

And the anwer I think is to be pro-active with identifying yourself as being a CCW permit holder when its obvious that they will discover it anyway or during a stop, etc.

I have found that when they are made aware of this and are looking at license, this spurs a rote-response begining with "where is your firearm". :)