PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts please.

NewbieAKguy
01-29-2015, 04:00 PM
I first discovered the problem a couple months ago, and yes I have been slacking but only now posting about it to get some input. The issue is "high" (~55%?) humidity in my workshop. And the way I found out is when I happened to open the case to my Dillon .45ACP conversion kit and saw this, surface rust on the powder drop insert:

I'm pretty sure the culprit is the reverse-osmosis filter system in the same room:

So, should I just keep my setup in the workshop and install a dehumidifier asap, or move to another part of the house? Also, is the surface rust easily taken off or would I be hosed and need to buy another powder drop (I know I should call Dillon to check but I thought I'd put before the group first). I figured that it was stainless with the way it looked, but that's what I get for not verifying first.

Thanks for the help.

Richard Simmons
01-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Not sure on the rust removal but you could try keeping you kit in a ziplock baggie with one of those small desiccant packs.

Schuetzenman
01-29-2015, 08:22 PM
0000 Steel Wool for rust removal. It will be discolored ever there after but shouldn't impair function. You can't oil them or face powder sticking to the oils. You'd have to degrease in Acetone before use if you oil. Richard's idea to store in a desiccant pack container of some sort is pretty good advise I'm thinking.

NAPOTS
01-29-2015, 08:38 PM
I've got the same thing going on with my reloading equipment. I have been trying to keep it very clean but I am getting occasional light surface rust on the bare steel parts. I started using WD40 silicone spray and that seems to work pretty well to seal the metal. I have also seen a metal sealer like birchwood casey barricade recommended.