PDA

View Full Version : I see good deals on refurbished power tools but...

Altarboy
02-01-2015, 04:38 PM
I wonder how much use they saw and if it's a good bet to purchase one. I am looking to get a table saw.I expect to pay around $3-400 bucks. The Sears saw looks good and gets good reviews. I see saws on google that are refurbs for good prices.

Goodman
02-01-2015, 04:57 PM
I wonder how much use they saw and if it's a good bet to purchase one. I am looking to get a table saw.I expect to pay around $3-400 bucks. The Sears saw looks good and gets good reviews. I see saws on google that are refurbs for good prices.

About 20 years ago I bought a reman DeWalt cordless drill. It still works today though I can't say the same of many other new DeWalt tools I've purchased since then.
Of course, YMMV.

alismith
02-01-2015, 05:31 PM
One way to look at it is that whatever went wrong with it has been fixed now.

BISHOP
02-01-2015, 05:35 PM
I once read that puchasing referbed tools is a good deal because unlike the other tools, refurbished tools have much more stringent quality check everything HAS to work perfectly. Its a factory cost measure and that it would cost so much for that tool to be returned again.

BISHOP

deth502
02-01-2015, 05:45 PM
we have a few power tools that are well over 20 years old that were bought from a refurb factory outlet. one was a drill, the chuck has since been stripped out from my grandfather using it one time, and lettting a bit spin in the chuck instead of tightening it (it is a replacable part) other than that, all are still going strong.

eta- i am talking about a contracting business here, not a one time use by a homeowner to hang a picture. they were not babied and were used regularly.

Hobe Sound AK
02-01-2015, 07:28 PM
By the Way, Is Chicago Tool any good? I see them at Harbor Freight Tools. Knowing that most of the Stuff in the Store is Chinese, I was wondering if anyone here had used some of their Power Tool's? Are they any good? Paul

Altarboy
02-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Wonder if the refurbs have the same warrantee?

Broondog
02-01-2015, 09:03 PM
By the Way, Is Chicago Tool any good? I see them at Harbor Freight Tools. Knowing that most of the Stuff in the Store is Chinese, I was wondering if anyone here had used some of their Power Tool's? Are they any good? Paul

i have a number of HF's Chicago branded items like their Earthquake Impact driver, a 21 gallon air compressor, various other air tools, their torque wrenches and their flux core welder, just to name a few items. so far all of the tools do their job well except for the "various other air tools" and only because they were the ultra cheap ones and are under powered. step up their line and their power gets better. the Earthquake air impact rocks! many of their hand tools work as advertised such as deepwell sockets, open/box end wrenches, nut drivers, etc.

i have no complaints with 95% of the stuff i get at Harbor Freight. when used in a homeowner and garage mechanic capacity the stuff works fine. about a third of my tools came from there especially specialty type items that i might use only a handful of times. if i was a contractor or a shop mechanic i would invest heavily in higher quality tools though.

Hobe Sound AK
02-02-2015, 05:29 AM
Thanks I hear you. They just opened a new Store on US1` near the Treasure Coast Mall in Jensen Beach. north of me. I have only bought a Crowbar, and 17inch Cresent Wrench from them. Some small Nail's and Screw's and parts, so Far. Paul

5.56NATO
02-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Craigslist may be a good place to check for local tools.

Altarboy
02-02-2015, 10:57 PM
What about the Craftsman table saw? It's $289.00 new and has good ratings.

Krupski
02-03-2015, 12:12 AM
About 20 years ago I bought a reman DeWalt cordless drill. It still works today though I can't say the same of many other new DeWalt tools I've purchased since then.
Of course, YMMV.

Where tools are made makes a big difference. A complete combination wrench set that costs $19.95 and made in China isn't likely to last more than 1/2 of one job.

Of course, the same set made by Snap-On will cost over $300 but it will last a lifetime (then you pass them on to your son and they last his lifetime).

Sears Craftsman used to be good Made in USA stuff... sadly no longer.

An old, rebuilt American made tool is probably the best of both worlds (less $$$ and made in USA).

Krupski
02-03-2015, 12:14 AM

Look at the tool. If it's made in China, don't waste your money.

All of my tools are US made (with the exception of a few speciality tools such as a Mitoyo micrometer (Japanese) and a few old German made tools).

NAPOTS
02-03-2015, 12:28 AM
Where tools are made makes a big difference. A complete combination wrench set that costs $19.95 and made in China isn't likely to last more than 1/2 of one job.

Of course, the same set made by Snap-On will cost over $300 but it will last a lifetime (then you pass them on to your son and they last his lifetime).

Sears Craftsman used to be good Made in USA stuff... sadly no longer.

An old, rebuilt American made tool is probably the best of both worlds (less $$$ and made in USA).

+1 I've broken several craftsman ratchets.

Altarboy
02-20-2015, 11:09 PM
I ordered a Dewalt DW745 table saw. Amazon is the devil when I get a few beers in me.

Hobe Sound AK
02-21-2015, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=Krupski;406742]Look at the tool. If it's made in China, don't waste your money.
Krupski, my Stanley Socket Set, does not say made in USA or China on it. Is Stanley one of the Good one's? Not even the Case is Stamped where it was Made? Paul

Goodman
02-21-2015, 07:50 AM
I ordered a Dewalt DW745 table saw. Amazon is the devil when I get a few beers in me.

If that's the model with screw adjustment for the fence, and I think it is, it's a good saw but you want to keep the screws clear of dust.
It's kind of a worm drive set up for the fence adjustment. Sawdust gets in the bolts and binds them up. Blow them out regularly and apply some dry lube