PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi and our future

BISHOP
02-09-2015, 12:08 PM
back when you were a child watching Star Trek and seeing all those gadgets they had, and today you can see how many of those impossible devices are common place today.....
Have you ever wondered about the darker side of what they had for gadgets they may also be reality?

Anyway, what I am talking about is more big brother than just gadgets.

You hear all the time how it was Star Trek that pushed us to create those devices and how its helping humanity so much, but you never hear of other TV shows or movies and their technologies.

Max Headroom the TV show and movie. The citizens all had TVs that could not be turned off and they had to run 24/7 so that the state could pup I their propaganda. It was illegal to have an off button.
Also a hacker with a laptop could connect to any camera in any building, or could see the blueprints and follow plumbing and electrical to find more cameras.

THX 1138 everybody is drugged by the state and can be jailed for not taking their drugs. There are microphones and cameras at everyone's medicine cabinet. There you can also talk to the "state" to rat on people. There are booth on the street that say something to the effect that "I m your god" and you can talk to it and it will respond to help you, but also recording you.

After seeing 5.56NATO's post http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php/33192-Samsung-reveals-its-smart-sets-can-capture-every-word
It made me think of this and how even how your phone is listening to your every word especially if you are using a google phone or OK Google.

BISHOP

Gunner1558
02-09-2015, 12:13 PM
Orwell was close!

imanaknut
02-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Orwell just missed by a few years.

Krupski
02-09-2015, 01:40 PM
Max Headroom the TV show and movie. The citizens all had TVs that could not be turned off and they had to run 24/7 so that the state could pup I their propaganda. It was illegal to have an off button.

Wasn't that "1984"? Big Brother watched everyone through the "Telescreen" and when Winston sees O'Brien turn off his telescreen, he's amazed.. he didn't know it could be done.

5.56NATO
02-09-2015, 02:32 PM
In thx1138 everyone was forced gay save for the hero and heroine, who defied the state and fell in love.
There must be something in the water in dc that makes people think these are good ideas.

Helen Keller
02-09-2015, 02:37 PM
nobody in the past foresaw that a man could make love to a flash light.

FunkyPertwee
02-09-2015, 03:11 PM
You're going to be completely surrounded by internet connected cameras and microphones very very soon. You might already be depending on where you live, and you probably at least carry a device with both (such as an Iphone, with a camera on both sides and a microphone).

The west will resist humanoid robots because we're all a bunch of Luddites. We'll master non-humanoid robots for warfare and create computer programs to operate them without human intervention. The east will master humanoid robots and use them in their version of the service industry.

AI gods might come later this century. I wouldn't count on it in our lifetime. We'll see autonomous robots, but no skynet for a while. IMO.

I think humans will be interacting with the AIs in the coming generation such that it produces a new type of human that thinks and interacts totally differently. Constant communication with their personal future version of "siri" could essentially change the way you use your "internal" memory and processing capabilities, especially as your ability to interface with the computer increases. Generations of children growing up with visual and auditory implants/enhancements might be able to exchange information with the AI and with other humans so amazingly fast that their very humanity is changed by it. Such people may have little or no interest in interacting with purely organic, non-connected humans.

BISHOP
02-09-2015, 06:43 PM
Wasn't that "1984"? Big Brother watched everyone through the "Telescreen" and when Winston sees O'Brien turn off his telescreen, he's amazed.. he didn't know it could be done.

Not in this instance because I never read 1984. Maybe that idea was used in Max Headroom. A person was amazed that a character had an off button and either stated or asked that it was illegal.

BISHOP

JTHunter
02-09-2015, 09:16 PM
BISHOP

Gents, I believe that the "always on" TVs were from Fahrenheit 451.

BISHOP
02-10-2015, 07:05 AM
Gents, I'm beginning to see a possible dystopian trend with TVs.

BISHOP

FunkyPertwee
02-10-2015, 12:24 PM
Gents, I'm beginning to see a possible dystopian trend with TVs.

BISHOP

"TV" is going to stop existing as we know it pretty soon. LCD screens are going to get so cheap that they'll be plastered on walls everywhere, and we're already moving towards away from TV stations in favor of streaming services.

What we'll have are digital camera absolutely everywhere. All connected to the internet or at least digitally streaming to its owner or security forces. Having a fixed television set with a camera, microphone, and no off switch is great idea, but technologically speaking its an outdated concept, just like launching people to the moon out of a cannon became outdated with the development of rocket engines and actual human space travel.

Krupski
02-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Gents, I believe that the "always on" TVs were from Fahrenheit 451.

From 1984 - Part 2, Chapter 8:

As O'Brien passed the telescreen a thought seemed to strike him. He stopped, turned aside and pressed a switch on the wall. There was a sharp snap. The voice had stopped.

Julia uttered a tiny sound, a sort of squeak of surprise. Even in the midst of his panic, Winston was too much taken aback to be able to hold his tongue.

'You can turn it off!' he said.

'Yes,' said O'Brien, 'we can turn it off. We have that privilege.'

Helen Keller
02-10-2015, 08:05 PM
ANyone else feel the heat off these TV's???

walking into walmart feels like im in a boiler room.

5.56NATO
02-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Speaking of scifi future, what about real cowboys?

…On a farm in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, there lives a herd of 50 cows that have been genetically manipulated to be part human. Yes…you read that right. Scientists have created a human-cow hybrid. These cows have been vaccinated against several deadly diseases, including Ebola. And they are producing “very high levels” of human antibodies. The plan is to take gallons and gallons of blood from these part cow, part human creatures to develop drugs that will be given to people.
http://hsionline.com/2015/02/10/cows-with-human-dna/#sthash.rqh3U0XD.dpuf