PDA

View Full Version : Question for You Tech Gurus..

sevlex
02-09-2015, 03:09 PM
I just upgraded my cable internet from 30mbs to 60mbs. The thing is that my wireless-n router speed has not changed and still running at 19mbs on my wirleless-n laptop.

Wouldn't doubling my modem speeds give at least a small bump in the wifi?

l921428x
02-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Im not sure. but just because they can move that
much, can you receive it that fast?

sevlex
02-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Speedtest.net shows my main pc doubled from 30mbs to 60mbs. The laptop shows no change on speedtest.

Oswald Bastable
02-09-2015, 06:43 PM
Speedtest.net shows my main pc doubled from 30mbs to 60mbs. The laptop shows no change on speedtest.

Is the desktop also connected wirelessly to the n router?

Laptop running winblows?

Is the wireless adapter in the laptop also of the n variety?

sevlex
02-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Is the desktop also connected wirelessly to the n router?
-- Nope - ethernet from the router.

Laptop running winblows?
--win7

Is the wireless adapter in the laptop also of the n variety?
--Yep.

Oswald Bastable
02-09-2015, 11:38 PM
I suspect it's the wireless adapter in the laptop that's bogging you down. See if there's an updated driver for it. If not, make sure you have a copy of the most current one, uninstall and reinstall the driver.

sevlex
02-10-2015, 10:12 AM
The funny thing is the networking tab on the task manager shows the wireless link speed is at 130mbs. But speedtest shows it at almost 1/10th of that.

Krupski
02-10-2015, 02:59 PM
I just upgraded my cable internet from 30mbs to 60mbs. The thing is that my wireless-n router speed has not changed and still running at 19mbs on my wirleless-n laptop.

Wouldn't doubling my modem speeds give at least a small bump in the wifi?

A lot of routers are slow internally.

Try disconnecting your router from the cable modem and connect it directly to your computer. If you now get the speed you expect, it's the router.

Also, realize that in order to get fast data transfer, BOTH ends need to be fast. If the other end is slow, no amount of speed on your end will help.

Try several different sites to see if any give you more speed.

Also try here: http://www.speedtest.net/

..and here: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/