PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a 22 target style pistol...

GovGotToGo
07-18-2010, 10:43 AM
This is my favorite part of Gunsnet, learning from other peoples experiences and opinions.

I'm gonna buy a rimfire 22cal pistol within a week. I know next to nothing about them, but I do have some wants. Maybe y'all can chime in with some tips and suggestions

1. Must be able to shoot both LR, and 22 shorts. (noise reasons)
2. Accuracy is important, and I want to add a scope eventually.
3. Simplicity in cleaning and maintenance
4. Under 350 dollars.

I know Ruger makes a good 22 pistol, as well as browning, but are there any others I should consider? I'm open to revolvers as well, as long as they can mount a scope.

mriddick
07-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I'd get a Ruger, back in my prime :) I could shoot clay pigeons at 100 yds with a std Mk2 with a 1.5X scope (sitting arms braced on my knees). The accuracy was outstanding, their reliability is great and the price was affordable.

AKTexas
07-18-2010, 10:53 AM
This is my favorite part of Gunsnet, learning from other peoples experiences and opinions.

I'm gonna buy a rimfire 22cal pistol within a week. I know next to nothing about them, but I do have some wants. Maybe y'all can chime in with some tips and suggestions

4. Under 350 dollars.

I know Ruger makes a good 22 pistol, as well as browning, but are there any others I should consider? I'm open to revolvers as well, as long as they can mount a scope.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764927_-1_757767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

This might be what you are looking for to shoot both shorts and LR.

My choice for rim fire is my Ruger Mark III.Limited to LR unless there is a short kit?

mriddick
07-18-2010, 11:00 AM
There 22 short kits for ruger 22 pistols, mine would fire them stock but I couldn't the mag to feed more then 3 reliably. I've always thought about getting the short mag and try that but really I think you'll find shorts aren't that quiet (or cheap). When I wanted quiet practice I shot colabri no powder loads in mine, which did require me pulling the bolt back on every shot.

GovGotToGo
07-18-2010, 11:13 AM
A friend of mine brought over a german 22 revolver, and we were shooting 22shorts, they were quieter than my Gamo air rifle.

That smith&wesson is nice, but at 900 bucks, too pricey.

AKTexas
07-18-2010, 11:27 AM
There 22 short kits for ruger 22 pistols, mine would fire them stock but I couldn't the mag to feed more then 3 reliably. I've always thought about getting the short mag and try that but really I think you'll find shorts aren't that quiet (or cheap). When I wanted quiet practice I shot colabri no powder loads in mine, which did require me pulling the bolt back on every shot.

The money I spent on a brick of shorts I could have bought two bulk pack of the federal 22lr.I have shorts for the young new shooters I bring out.

alismith
07-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Almost any Ruger single action would fit your requirements. They'll fire shorts, LR, and mags (if you get the extra cylinder). I found the Ruger SA to be more accurate than I can hold unless I'm using a rest.
Not sure about a S&W kit gun, but you may be able to find one, second-hand, for about that price. Taurus might be something to look into, too. I don't think Taurus has the quality control problems with their .22's that they've had with the other calibers.

AKTexas
07-18-2010, 11:29 AM

The money I spent on a brick of shorts I could have bought two bulk pack of the federal 22lr.I have shorts for the young new shooters I bring out.

O.S.O.K.
07-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Ruger government model MkII or III - this is the polymer framed model with mag release button.

You can shoot CB LR's in this - but will have to cycle the action manually.

awp101
07-18-2010, 01:03 PM

4. Under 350 dollars.

The only way to shoot shorts without a conversion (or manually working the action and/or single feeding) is a revolver and AFAIK any .22 revolver is going to have to be drilled and tapped for scope mounts. The S&W might already be d&t along the rear sight mount, I don't recall.

Accuracy. How accurate? Shooting bullseye, general competition or just plinking and pest control?

It doesn't get any easier than cleaning a revolver. I'm going to catch a load of shit for this but I prefer the Buckmark to the Ruger for ease of cleaning. I've had two Rugers, one new and one used, and they were both a PITA to take down and reassemble. Sure, there's tricks you can learn to make it easier but that's personal preference. The Beretta NEOS isn't bad to break down either.

Depending on the answer to number 2, you may have a lot or a little to choose from. I don't know what the Ruger conversion runs but the short conversion for 10/22s runs close to $200 last time I looked.

New Buckmarks can be had for under $350 and the used target models can be had for under that with smart shopping.

The NEOS can be had all day long for under $275 brand new around here unless you want the INOX finish and 6" barrel.

$900 for a new S&W 617 is nuts and very optimistic on their part. Used K22s in good condition can be had for half that and are just as good, if not better. They just don't have the 10rd cylinder.

I'm just getting acquainted with a Ruger Single Six so I can't offer much right now but shorts out of the 4" (or whatever Ruger used) barrel are quiet enough to pop rats in the garage without alarming anyone. All shots have been under 3" (they were cornered :D) but it's accurate enough at that range...:lool: Seriously though, I think it had potential as long as the trigger nut doesn't get loose.

stubbicatt
07-18-2010, 01:16 PM
I like this single shot free pistol. I'm pretty sure CDNN still has some for sale. You might check them out?

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/stubbicatt/TOZ35M/IMG_0691.jpg

AKTexas
07-18-2010, 04:16 PM
I owned a MK III and sold it after 6 months because is was so hard to clean. I got a SIG Mosquito to replace it. It is not as accurate but much easier to maintain.

My MK III was so hard to put back together I actually broke it once. I sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it and modified it so it would be easier to put back together. I never tried it with the modification though, so I can't tell you how that worked. As soon as it came back I sold it.

Since you can confess about breaking it I can too.Ruger said I can send it in for repair or take it to a local smith.Ruger told me they made the MK-III tighter than the older models which makes them harder to reassemble.

Ruger was still going to charge me either way for the repairs etc.I had the local guy help me out.I'll never take it apart again.Great pistols super accurate but overly complicated.

GovGotToGo
07-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Hmmm. The single action ruger revolvers are looking better the more I learn! Does anyone own a bearcat?

AKTexas
07-18-2010, 05:05 PM
The only way to shoot shorts without a conversion (or manually working the action and/or single feeding) is a revolver and AFAIK any .22 revolver is going to have to be drilled and tapped for scope mounts. The S&W might already be d&t along the rear sight mount, I don't recall.

Accuracy. How accurate? Shooting bullseye, general competition or just plinking and pest control?

It doesn't get any easier than cleaning a revolver. I'm going to catch a load of shit for this but I prefer the Buckmark to the Ruger for ease of cleaning. I've had two Rugers, one new and one used, and they were both a PITA to take down and reassemble. Sure, there's tricks you can learn to make it easier but that's personal preference. The Beretta NEOS isn't bad to break down either.

Depending on the answer to number 2, you may have a lot or a little to choose from. I don't know what the Ruger conversion runs but the short conversion for 10/22s runs close to $200 last time I looked.

New Buckmarks can be had for under $350 and the used target models can be had for under that with smart shopping.

The NEOS can be had all day long for under $275 brand new around here unless you want the INOX finish and 6" barrel.

$900 for a new S&W 617 is nuts and very optimistic on their part. Used K22s in good condition can be had for half that and are just as good, if not better. They just don't have the 10rd cylinder.

I'm just getting acquainted with a Ruger Single Six so I can't offer much right now but shorts out of the 4" (or whatever Ruger used) barrel are quiet enough to pop rats in the garage without alarming anyone. All shots have been under 3" (they were cornered :D) but it's accurate enough at that range...:lool: Seriously though, I think it had potential as long as the trigger nut doesn't get loose.

I can agree with you about the Ruger pistols being a PITA to clean and take down.I don't do it anymore I just run a brush and patch down the barrel clean with carb cleaner and spray it down with rem oil and wipe down.The Buckmark looks like a great pistol.I would not mind having one for my daughter instead of the MK-III stainless for the ease of cleaning.

ltorlo64
07-18-2010, 05:18 PM
I owned a MK III and sold it after 6 months because is was so hard to clean. I got a SIG Mosquito to replace it. It is not as accurate but much easier to maintain.

My MK III was so hard to put back together I actually broke it once. I sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it and modified it so it would be easier to put back together. I never tried it with the modification though, so I can't tell you how that worked. As soon as it came back I sold it.

ubersoldate
07-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Another vote for the ruger mk series...
Ive got a mkII government, and a MIII hunter, and both of them are fun to shoot, and downright deadly accurate for critters.

AK-J
07-18-2010, 05:45 PM
I vote Browning Buckmark.
My Buckmark has been a really fun plinker, is very accurate, and pretty easy to clean.

alismith
07-18-2010, 07:28 PM
I vote for the Ruger Single Six with convertible cylinder. I have one and love it. Very accurate.

ready
07-18-2010, 07:39 PM
I have a Buckmark and a Ruger MK. I have to agree with the others that I like the Buckmark better. So much easier to take apart and put back together. The other big factor for me is barrels. You can change barrels on a Buckmark. A Ruger's barrel is pressed into the receiver so if you want to put a new barrel in it, you're buying a new receiver, too which has to go to an FFL. Pain in the balls if you ask me.

old Grump
07-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Another vote for Ruger single six but whatever you get I always tell my new shooters to have the clerk show you the dis-assembly and assembly procedure. If it isn't easy to do you won't do it often enough or shoot it as much as you want to.

Most good ones will be accurate, some more than others depending on how may shekels you have to put out. A Buckmark Camper is as about as cheap as you can get in a Buckmark and to shoot shorts you will probably have to do it single shot. Dis assembly isn't bad but more work than I like. My S&W M41 spoiled me for ease of break down. Another reason to consider revolver.

Personally if I had to do it again for that kind of money and a pistol is wanted over a revolver I would get a S&W 22A and use the extra money for more ammo.

Krupski
07-18-2010, 09:59 PM

4. Under 350 dollars.

If you want to also shoot shorts or CB caps, you'll need a revolver. A semi auto action won't cycle with tiny rounds.

For .22LR only, you can't beat a Ruger MK-II (or MK-III). If I wanted another Ruger 22, I would look for a MK-II.... I don't like the MK-III at all.

awp101
07-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Ah the M41, forgot about that one and it can be had with a short conversion. Just not for $350...:lool:

I haven't had any experience with the 22A, how do you like it?

AKTexas
07-18-2010, 10:11 PM
If you want to also shoot shorts or CB caps, you'll need a revolver. A semi auto action won't cycle with tiny rounds.

For .22LR only, you can't beat a Ruger MK-II (or MK-III). If I wanted another Ruger 22, I would look for a MK-II.... I don't like the MK-III at all.

Why not?Other than not being able to take of Helicopters and cook pizzas these are fine pistols.The pistol has a reputation for one shot killing Sasquatch.

NAPOTS
07-18-2010, 10:15 PM
What about a conversion kit for a pistol you already have? There seem to be a number of them on the market.

old Grump
07-19-2010, 01:06 AM
Ah the M41, forgot about that one and it can be had with a short conversion. Just not for $350...:lool:

I haven't had any experience with the 22A, how do you like it?

Don't own one but shot one. felt right in my hand and at 50' I wasn't missing any pop cans with it. It would make a great woods gun for small game.

I could never afford another M41 so I am having to start being careful with the one I have. After 40 years of shooting the one I have I'm down to only 5,000 or 6,000 rounds a year with it. I used to shoot that in a month when I was training.

TEN-32
07-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Buckmark. Easier to work with than the Ruger series and lots of aftermarket. I love mine to death.

El Jefe
07-19-2010, 11:26 AM
I have the Beretta Neos and it's proven to be a nice little 22 plinker. It isn't fussy about ammo selection and is easy to break down for cleaning. I've not shot at a paper target over 25 yards with it but at 25 it's pretty accurate, past 25 I'll use a rifle.

O.S.O.K.
07-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Hmmm. The single action ruger revolvers are looking better the more I learn! Does anyone own a bearcat?

Thread jack!

Well, ok - I have a bearcat and they are neat little revolvers. They are smallish though and of course have fixed sights. This is bascially a kit gun and can shoot any type of .22 rimfire - standard that is...

Somebody mentioned a Ruger Single Six- I also have one of those and like it - full sized and good for squirrel hunting and the like. I tried the .22 Mag cylinder a few times and was underwhelmed by the accuracy and loud muzzle blast.

Both of these Ruger revolvers are reliable and built like tanks.

AKTexas
07-19-2010, 02:17 PM

I son was ready for his first handgun and we looked at all the different models and he chose the Bearcat himself to go with his Henry.The pistol is a nice gun for a kid,good accuracy and fits a kid sized hand.

El Laton Caliente
07-19-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm wanting a nice .22 pistol myself, but I don't care about shorts and I want a semi with a 1911 angle grip.

AK-J
07-19-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm wanting a nice .22 pistol myself, but I don't care about shorts and I want a semi with a 1911 angle grip.

The Browning Buckmark has the grip angle of the 1911, and the controls are similiar.

Krupski
07-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Why not?Other than not being able to take of Helicopters and cook pizzas these are fine pistols.The pistol has a reputation for one shot killing Sasquatch.

If you mean "why don't I like the MK-III" it's because it has all the useless new features like a magazine disconnect, a loaded chamber indicator and a firing pin block. The magazine disconnect is the worst feature. I would never buy a pistol that had one.

And, loaded chamber indicator? I learned:

(a) treat a firearm as ALWAYS loaded
(b) always check the chamber

Therefore, it's my responsibility to know when it's physically loaded. I don't need a little thing poking out of the barrel to tell me.

GovGotToGo
07-19-2010, 06:20 PM
ALL FOR NAUGHT!

Disatisfied with handgun offerings, (except an old H&R which I may still go buy!) I broke down and just bought a Henry lever action, that can hold 16 LR, or like 24 shorts. 257$ NIB Academy sports, my 1140 got delayed, so maybe pick it up either tomorrow or Thursday, at the latest. This is my first 22, it's been long overdue to be added to the collection. I'm now gonna be able to plink in the back yard, folks down here don't seem to mind!