PDA

View Full Version : Glocks fires by tee shirt...

mriddick
07-18-2010, 11:04 AM
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/145105-m-p-external-safety-add.html

http://myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/gsw.jpg

It was in an action match, he shot the handgun and reholstered into a Serpa clone type holster and got some T-Shirt into the holster, he transitioned to his M-16 and when he took the first step, the shirt pulled taught and pulled the trigger. The gun cycled and reloaded another round in the holster, had it been the Glock 18 on full auto it would have ate his leg, or a duty round rather than FMJ.

I think the story offered is hard to believe, what do you think?

On the down side I wonder if now the BATF will rule a tee shirt a MG since it can be used to fire a firearm remotely :)

deputyvaughn
07-18-2010, 11:44 AM
The picture is real enough.

Scott

mriddick
07-18-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm sure he shot himself, I'm just not sure of the teeshirt doing it.

Lysander
07-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Not the first time a Serpa, or Serpa clone, has been involved in an ND. Not the last, either, I'd imagine.

ltorlo64
07-18-2010, 04:29 PM
I just took a look at a picture I have of a Glock 19. I have a hard time believing a t-shirt wrapped around the trigger and then pulled it. That is a tight curve for the t-shirt to make to get around the trigger. If I were on Myth Busters, I would probably say, after testing and blowing something up, that it was probable, but unlikely.

TEN-32
07-18-2010, 05:00 PM
More evidence that Glocks are "too eager" to fire...

skorpion
07-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Three holes from one bullet. All I can say to this is OUCH! I wonder what caliber his pistol is, as the bullet entered into the upper thigh and traveled about a foot before exiting at the lower thigh and re-entering through the upper part of the calf, still traveling another inch or two before stopping. 10mm? .357 Sig?

mriddick
07-18-2010, 06:56 PM
I just took a look at a picture I have of a Glock 19. I have a hard time believing a t-shirt wrapped around the trigger and then pulled it. That is a tight curve for the t-shirt to make to get around the trigger. If I were on Myth Busters, I would probably say, after testing and blowing something up, that it was probable, but unlikely. I'm with you on that.

Three holes from one bullet. All I can say to this is OUCH! I wonder what caliber his pistol is, as the bullet entered into the upper thigh and traveled about a foot before exiting at the lower thigh and re-entering through the upper part of the calf, still traveling another inch or two before stopping. 10mm? .357 Sig?9mm by the story...

old Grump
07-18-2010, 07:05 PM
I just took a look at a picture I have of a Glock 19. I have a hard time believing a t-shirt wrapped around the trigger and then pulled it. That is a tight curve for the t-shirt to make to get around the trigger. If I were on Myth Busters, I would probably say, after testing and blowing something up, that it was probable, but unlikely.

Unless the T-shirt got bunched up when he jammed it into the holster and caught there. Then when he stepped forwad there was just enough pull to finish pulling the trigger. My guess it got half way pulled back when he holstered the gun. Weird stuff happens and is exactly why if I carry a gun in my pocket nothing but nothin but nothing goes in that pocket but that gun. Almost shot myself with my keys in my pocket. I am a slow learner but I learn. It's also why I don't like loose hanging clothes on the range, Old navy safety habit, always tucked in to keep bad stuff out.

Prometheus168
07-18-2010, 07:15 PM
http://pics.ohlawd.net/img/im%20calling%20bullshit.jpg

Rusty

ubersoldate
07-18-2010, 07:18 PM
It can happen.
But only if the shirt is wrapped around your finger when pulling the trigger.

ready
07-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Sounds like B.S. but freak shit happens. It would be a 1 in a million chance for a t-shirt to wrap around the trigger safety in the holster and fire that weapon.

mriddick
07-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Do you think the shirt would still be wrapped around the trigger after the ND? I got to wonder how they know the story is what happened or if they went looking for something after they figured out he couldn't of holstered it with his finger in the trigger (wink-wink).

ready
07-18-2010, 07:43 PM
I don't know but I'd like to see this Serpa "clone", too.

RJ Shooter
07-18-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm running a S&W M&P9 for IDPA competition and use a SERPA holster. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how the t-shirt could have activated the trigger! I am using an Apex sear that has reduced the trigger pull to about 4lbs, so it's pretty light and would easily pull it if possible.

I have gotten a shirt in the way before, but still can't figure out how it would have made it's way into the trigger well. It's a pretty snug fit!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs322.snc3/28704_1489563363333_1361442017_31295617_5404204_n. jpg

gpwasr10
07-18-2010, 08:19 PM
http://pics.ohlawd.net/img/im%20calling%20bullshit.jpg

Rusty

Seconded

ltorlo64
07-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Three holes from one bullet. All I can say to this is OUCH! I wonder what caliber his pistol is, as the bullet entered into the upper thigh and traveled about a foot before exiting at the lower thigh and re-entering through the upper part of the calf, still traveling another inch or two before stopping. 10mm? .357 Sig?

When I was in high school one of my friends was out rabbit hunting with a .22 pistol. He shot himself in almost the same place when he was holstering his pistol. He was a stout, muscular kid and the bullet made 3 holes. In, out and in again. He didn't try to blame his t-shirt though. Came right out and said he was stupid and shot himself by not using the gun as he had been taught.

RJ Shooter
07-19-2010, 12:13 AM
The more I think about this whole thing, the more I don't believe it was due to the t-shirt at all...

swampdragon
07-19-2010, 01:40 AM
The more I think about this whole thing, the more I don't believe it was due to the t-shirt at all...

Yep. I agree.
I think his socks did it!

Polish Boy
07-19-2010, 02:27 AM
When I worked at the gun store there was a guy that claimed his brother shot himself in the leg with a glock. The best part was that it was with a galco summer comfort holster. Some people like lying, shoot yourself in the leg you just gotta lie. I call bullshit as well.

Broondog
07-19-2010, 11:42 AM
well i guess i have something to do today. let me see how many times it takes to jam my t-shirt into my Serpa with my Glock until i shoot myself in the leg.

call me a poor man's MythBusters! :crazy:

deputyvaughn
07-19-2010, 01:37 PM
I would be inclined to think he tried to holster with his finger still in the trigger guard. Because he was in some kind of match there might have been a slight delay in noticing the discharge and subsequent wound. By that time he was holding his rifle and assumed the pistol discharged at the time he finally felt it. Adrenaline does funny things to a mans memory.

Scott

swampdragon
07-19-2010, 02:20 PM
... Adrenaline does funny things to a mans memory.

Scott

Kinda like how you forget what happened after you taser somebody 12 times for jaywalking?

:biggrina:

RJ Shooter
07-19-2010, 02:36 PM
After practicing for matches, you almost instinctively pull your trigger finger out so you can re-holster! It's like when I pick up a 1911, which I haven't owned in 15 years, my thumb automatically reaches and feels for the thumb safety. When I pick up an AR15, my thumb naturally finds the selector switch! It's muscle memory.

...holstering a loaded weapon, no matter how fast the course is, should come instinctively!!!!

My SERPA is so slick and easy, that it has a distinctive feel when it locks in place. I had to develop the memory to draw with my trigger finger in right position, but it didn't take long to do. Holstering is the same way. Finger comes off and out as soon as you're putting the weapon away. Luckily, in IDPA, you have an SO monitoring your every move and you'll get gigged if you do something wrong. They're right on top of you when holstering loaded and unloaded.

IMHO, if you're doing a three-gun match, you need your holster at your your thigh, rather than your hip anyway. And the SOs should be monitoring every single movement!

I think his finger was on the trigger when he tried to shove the pistol in the holster! Or it was at least not fully out of the trigger well... ;)

mriddick
07-19-2010, 02:43 PM
well i guess i have something to do today. let me see how many times it takes to jam my t-shirt into my Serpa with my Glock until i shoot myself in the leg.

call me a poor man's MythBusters! :crazy:

Snap caps please :)

Warlord
07-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Well weather or not the tee shirt story is true, if he had been using an XD it never would have happend. Unless that shirt got a hold of the grip saftey :violent085:

mriddick
07-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Well weather or not the tee shirt story is true, if he had been using an XD it never would have happend. Unless that shirt got a hold of the grip saftey :violent085:

I guess that is if you buy the story the tee shirt fired the weapon...

weevil
07-19-2010, 07:34 PM
I tend to agree with the BS side on this one.

Oh I suppose some one-in-a-million scenario could happen but really, the shirt somehow managed to get in the trigger guard as he was holstering it and somehow it managed to pull the trigger instead of just pulling out of the holster.

Yeah right!

More likely he shot himself then when asked, "....ummm uh well uhh my T-shirt got caught in the trigger! Yeah, yeah, that's it my t-shirt somehow snagged the trigger!!!"

weevil
07-19-2010, 07:38 PM

Yeah but XDs suck!

:D

remy1492
07-19-2010, 08:43 PM
I could see it catching something WHILE it was being pushed into the holster, but not once it was IN the holster.

Oddness.

Smitty258
07-19-2010, 10:06 PM
I carry my G19 in a Serpa daily at work and I feel completely safe doing so. I fail to see how all these negligent discharges happen.

I call BS too. Dumbass shot himself and is looking for something to blame other than himself.

Broondog
07-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Snap caps please :)

damn it man! you took the fun out of it. :lool:

deputyvaughn
07-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Part of my theory is based on how high the shot is on his thigh, almost at his hip. I don't think the pistol was all the way in the holster to have hit that high.

Scott

Warlord
07-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Yeah but XDs suck!

:D

Ouch! :whatever:

RJ Shooter
07-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Part of my theory is based on how high the shot is on his thigh, almost at his hip. I don't think the pistol was all the way in the holster to have hit that high.

Scott

My SERPA puts the muzzle just below the belt-line, so the bullet placement is probably on mark. I still think his finger did the deed... :p

Warlord
07-20-2010, 12:05 AM
I tend to agree with the BS side on this one.

Oh I suppose some one-in-a-million scenario could happen but really, the shirt somehow managed to get in the trigger guard as he was holstering it and somehow it managed to pull the trigger instead of just pulling out of the holster.

Yeah right!

More likely he shot himself then when asked, "....ummm uh well uhh my T-shirt got caught in the trigger! Yeah, yeah, that's it my t-shirt somehow snagged the trigger!!!"

I was thinking the exact same thing. The guy had to come up with some kind of excuse after he blasts himself. In the words of Gunny Sgt Lee Ermey What a "Jack Wagon".

ltorlo64
07-20-2010, 08:56 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing. The guy had to come up with some kind of excuse after he blasts himself. In the words of Gunny Sgt Lee Ermey What a "Jack Wagon".

That is now my favority commercial!

Ruskiegunlover
07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
I believe it. All the shirt has to do it grab the bottom, sharp area of the trigger. Look at any trigger, and bottom of them, where they end, can be pointy and sharp. Perfect to grab a t-shirt if the gun was holstered WITH the shirt on the side. Its freak, yes, but in my opinion very possible. I have been considering a serpa, might rethink it a bit.....

RJ Shooter
07-20-2010, 11:09 AM
I believe it. All the shirt has to do it grab the bottom, sharp area of the trigger. Look at any trigger, and bottom of them, where they end, can be pointy and sharp. Perfect to grab a t-shirt if the gun was holstered WITH the shirt on the side. Its freak, yes, but in my opinion very possible. I have been considering a serpa, might rethink it a bit.....Sure, if the shirt could get in there. I challenge you to try and make your shirt go into your trigger guard. Seriously! Simply attempt to make the shirt somehow get into the trigger guard. Even laying the shirt inside the holster and pushing the gun down in (hard to do mind you), you have a trigger guard protecting the trigger.

As for the SERPA, what makes it any different than any other holster in this regard? I own Galco, Bianchi, Uncle Mikes, Fobus and Blackhawk and cannot see where any design would be more prone to causing this. The smaller compression holsters used for competition will all have the same small size / large opening.

AK-J
07-20-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm have to agree with most folks on here. It's most likely a case of the guy accidently shooting himself and blaming it on the gun/holster/t-shirt instead of his on neglagence

AKTexas
07-20-2010, 02:01 PM
I cannot see how this happened.I have not been able to do it with my IWB holster once.

mriddick
07-20-2010, 03:07 PM
As for the SERPA, what makes it any different than any other holster in this regard? I own Galco, Bianchi, Uncle Mikes, Fobus and Blackhawk and cannot see where any design would be more prone to causing this. The smaller compression holsters used for competition will all have the same small size / large opening.I've heard people say the SERPA's are somewhat iffy because they force to place your finger close to where the trigger would be and muscle memory being what it is might lead to a ND if you're off alittle and get your finger stuck in the guard. That said everyone I know with a real SERPA loves it and how secure they are.

RJ Shooter
07-20-2010, 03:14 PM
I've heard people say the SERPA's are somewhat iffy because they force to place your finger close to where the trigger would be and muscle memory being what it is might lead to a ND if you're off alittle and get your finger stuck in the guard. That said everyone I know with a real SERPA loves it and how secure they are.But, your finger doesn't need to be anywhere near the trigger to put the gun in the holster! Only on the draw! Just like a thumb snap, you don't need to touch the thumb snap to reholster the weapon. On a triple retention duty holster that requires you to push down, then rock forward to draw the weapon, you don't need to do anything to reholster it!

That claim is bogus in my experienced opinion! The release button has zero to do with reholstering. I could hold the pistol by the slide, with two fingers, and drop it into the holster and it will lock securely.

...Just sayin'! ;)

raxar
07-20-2010, 03:37 PM
I not goiing to call it one way or the other in this case, but I could see a t-shirt causing a pistol to fire, it would be a 1 in a million shot, but it doesn't seem impossible. Its hard to explain verbally, take your right index finger and put it under the bottom hem of your shirt, now take your other hand and put a finger on bothsides of the index finger, on the outside of the shirt and pull down, if you somehow got the glock trigger tangled up like that and pulled the shirt it seems pretty likely that you could get a ND. Come to think of it, maybe he had a hole in his shirt that the trigger got caught in, from the last time he shot himself...

Smitty258
07-21-2010, 06:30 AM
I've heard people say the SERPA's are somewhat iffy because they force to place your finger close to where the trigger would be and muscle memory being what it is might lead to a ND if you're off alittle and get your finger stuck in the guard. That said everyone I know with a real SERPA loves it and how secure they are.

On the draw, you hit the release with your index finger, and as you pull it out, your finger is right where it ought to be. On the frame above the trigger. I really like the system.

RJ Shooter
07-21-2010, 08:11 AM
On the draw, you hit the release with your index finger, and as you pull it out, your finger is right where it ought to be. On the frame above the trigger. I really like the system.Yup! If you look at my rig, you can see that the finger is in the best place that it can be, ABOVE the trigger! And when reholstering, it doesn't even matter as the finger should be completely off the gun! ;)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs322.snc3/28704_1489563363333_1361442017_31295617_5404204_n. jpg