PDA

View Full Version : Cocktail Recipe Thread

TEN-32
04-14-2015, 08:28 AM
I've been fooling around with some new (to me) cocktail recipes. One that is really excellent if made properly is the Mai Tai. Not a shot of rum with a bunch of foo foo fruit juice, but the legit Trader Vic Mai Tai...the original. I just had Bacardi on hand but a nice gold or even dark rum would make this pop I think. Or an ounce of each.
2 oz. good rum
.5 oz orange curacao
.5 oz. orgeat (sweet almond syrup)
.5 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
shake with ice and strain into your glass. Excellent. What do you guys got besides bourbon?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/mrbigirish/20150413_161615_zpsqxdxqfra.jpg

El Jefe
04-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Lets see...

Bottle of beer

bottle opener

glass

;)

TEN-32
04-14-2015, 10:49 AM
Spoken like a true cicerone.

Helen Keller
04-14-2015, 01:00 PM
WHen I drank liquor... 10oz glass, ice cubes, 4oz Black rum rest with coke. Stir with spoon. By the time i was on # 3 the rum content was usually half the glass.

One thing I havent had in probably 10 years is one of those giant russian mudslides tgi fridays sold.

mrkalashnikov
04-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Drinkin @ 8:28 AM, eh? Good show, carry on. ;)

The only cocktails I drink anymore are Margaritas & Cuba Libres. For the margaritas I use good tequila like Don Julio, Padrone, Cabbo Wabbo, etc, a little Contreau(sp?), ice, shake it up good & pour in either a stem or tall glass. Cuba Libra is rum (usually Bacardi Dark), Coke & chunks of fresh-cut lime. A little splash of Rose's Lime Juice is a nice touch, too, in a tall glass over ice.

TEN-32
04-14-2015, 04:25 PM
Drinkin @ 8:28 AM, eh? Good show, carry on. ;)

LOL, no.

stevelyn
05-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Lets see...

Bottle of beer

bottle opener

glass

;)

Why bother with the glass? The bottle is already made of it. Just something else to wash.

TEN-32
05-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Why bother with the glass? The bottle is already made of it. Just something else to wash.

We're not animals.

05-03-2015, 07:07 PM
I don't drink anymore but have fond memories of my favorite Dirty Martinis

(2) shots of grey goose vodka (chilled in the freezer)
(1) tablespoon of brine from large green olives

Shake together in a tumbler with crushed ice
Pour in a chilled martini glass

When done correctly, the ice crystals will sparkle in the martini
Add 2-3 large green olives and enjoy

Always remember, martinis are like women's breasts; one is not enough, three is too many, and two is just perfect.

My $0.02

TEN-32
05-03-2015, 09:45 PM

Always remember, martinis are like women's breasts; one is not enough, three is too many, and two is just perfect.

My $0.02
These get me in trouble. But yes, very good.

L1A1Rocker
05-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Odd that this came up. I was just craving a Mai Tai yesterday. Didn't have the stuff to make it though. :(

TEN-32
05-04-2015, 08:41 AM
Odd that this came up. I was just craving a Mai Tai yesterday. Didn't have the stuff to make it though. :(

There are a lot of foo foo recipes with a bunch of fruit juice etc. If you can find the orgeat the recipe above is the original Trader Vic's and its damn good.

El Jefe
05-05-2015, 07:17 PM

My $0.02

Whew, I've wrecked myself on martinis a dozen or so times. Yes, the 3rd one sees you coming.

1 part french gin (different botanicals)
1 part dry vermouth
3 olives
shot of olive brine

El Jefe
05-05-2015, 07:18 PM

Thats why I have a wife. ;)

TEN-32
05-06-2015, 09:30 AM
Whew, I've wrecked myself on martinis a dozen or so times. Yes, the 3rd one sees you coming.

1 part french gin (different botanicals)
1 part dry vermouth
3 olives
shot of olive brine

Equal parts gin and vermouth?!?! Never tried that. I can recommend Scottish Gin though.
http://jilltiongco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/JillTiongcoPhotography_00251.jpg

sevlex
05-23-2015, 10:42 AM
I'll bite on the dirty martini:

1 part Blue Ice potato vodka
1 part Bombay Sapphire
Splash of dry vermouth
Teaspoon of olive brine

Shake the shit out of it with ice and serve in a frozen martini glass.

TEN-32
05-23-2015, 11:36 AM

1 part Bombay Sapphire
Splash of dry vermouth
Teaspoon of olive brine

Another interesting twist...vodka and gin. You guys surprise me sometimes. I'll try it.

El Jefe
05-23-2015, 11:42 AM

1 part Bombay Sapphire
Splash of dry vermouth
Teaspoon of olive brine

I gotta think if you're diluting your gin with a neutral spirit, you can't be drinking the right gin.

El Jefe
05-23-2015, 11:54 AM
My favorite gin to date:

http://s17.postimg.org/45yd29nxr/cittadelle.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

TEN-32
05-24-2015, 09:01 AM
I don't recall seeing that one. Is that the French one you mentioned? Bottle looks French (Grey Goose). I have some Beefeaters and Hendricks in the cupboard. I may do a few martinis this afternoon on the deck with a cigar. I want to try the 50/50 recipe Sevlex posted. Sounds interesting. The only vodka I have on hand is Smirnoff. Wife uses it for bloody marys etc. Oh well...

El Jefe
05-24-2015, 11:36 AM
I don't recall seeing that one. Is that the French one you mentioned? Bottle looks French (Grey Goose). I have some Beefeaters and Hendricks in the cupboard. I may do a few martinis this afternoon on the deck with a cigar. I want to try the 50/50 recipe Sevlex posted. Sounds interesting. The only vodka I have on hand is Smirnoff. Wife uses it for bloody marys etc. Oh well...

Yes. Its not dominated by juniper which for my taste makes it better.

As you know, vodka and gin are the same thing, a clear neutral spirit. Only difference is the botanicals used to flavor the gin. I still have to think that if you feel the need to dilute the gin with something that is almost flavorless, then you don't actually like the gin you're using.

:2cents:

TEN-32
05-24-2015, 11:44 AM
I understand that logic. Beefeater 24 is a newer gin and claims a citrus note...less juniper forward. Sounds perfect for a martini to me.