PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Brand

Richard Simmons
04-20-2015, 08:44 AM
So what brand of knife do you favor? I'm pretty fond of Buck knives both old and new with the 110 Hunter leading the pack as far as collecting goes. Based on sheer volume in my collection I'm also a fan of Kershaw, Spyderco, Benchmade and Zero Tolerance. That's no where near all I collect but these brands represent the lions share of what I have. The rest are made up of Becker, Chris Reeves, Case, Opinel, Bradley, etc. I tend more to folders than fixed blades, probably 5 folders to every fixed blade. For folders I'm partial to frame locks, liner locks, back locks and Axis locks.

Woogiebear
04-20-2015, 09:30 AM
I have a Benchmade auto opener that was issued that is on me whenever I am in uniform. I have a nice Buck knife that I keep in the console of my car. Other then that, my collection consists of mostly bayonets and bigger knives. I have 2 older M16 bayos, a newer issue M16 bayo, one for my AK47 that doesnt fit after I put on the Ultimak hand guard, one from WWII that I believe is Yugoslavian in nature (I really don't know. Never looked into it), a tanto style KBar, one hefty barbarian style knife that is a no shit beast, a Air Force survival knife I got as a re-enlistment gift, and some other odds and ends. I had a lot more but had to do away with many of them years ago.

Hatedbysheeple
04-20-2015, 09:37 AM
EDC - Emerson CQC-12 or CQC-7 for roughly the last 10 years, and when it shows up a CQC-8
Multitool - Leatherman EOD MUT
Fix blade on my kit - Buck 119
Dive knife - Mission MPK12-Ti or Underwater Kinetics Titanium chisel tip
I get Benchmade knives for free from work so I use and abuse the piss out of them and they still hold up pretty well.

For a while I also carried kershaw and still give them as gifts. I will not give someone a knife I would not trust or carry myself, so take that for what it's worth

Out of all those, if I could only have one outside of the dive knife and multitool which are needed for mission specific task, I would have to pick Emerson.

forgot about my Becker Bk-9 and more than a couple Himalayan Imports Khukris, knives and a sword. The HI stuff is hand forged and ridiculously strong, the sword which looks like a gladius could probably pry open a car door or hack through it dealers choice.

Richard Simmons
04-20-2015, 10:16 AM
EDC - Emerson CQC-12 or CQC-7 for roughly the last 10 years, and when it shows up a CQC-8
Multitool - Leatherman EOD MUT
Fix blade on my kit - Buck 119
Dive knife - Mission MPK12-Ti or Underwater Kinetics Titanium chisel tip
I get Benchmade knives for free from work so I use and abuse the piss out of them and they still hold up pretty well.

For a while I also carried kershaw and still give them as gifts. I will not give someone a knife I would not trust or carry myself, so take that for what it's worth

Out of all those, if I could only have one outside of the dive knife and multitool which are needed for mission specific task, I would have to pick Emerson.

forgot about my Becker Bk-9 and more than a couple Himalayan Imports Khukris, knives and a sword. The HI stuff is hand forged and ridiculously strong, the sword which looks like a gladius could probably pry open a car door or hack through it dealers choice.

I've got a couple of Kukri from The Kukri House but haven't gotten anything from HI. They are supposed to be the top of the line and really aren't badly priced from what I've seen. Added a BK-9 to my collection the other day. Haven't tried it out but it's a pretty substantial blade. I've got a BK-2 that I keep in my truck for emergencies. For the price the Becker line is hard to beat. I'd like to get a Busse Team Gemini Light Brigade, those things are built like tanks but they aren't cheap.

Hatedbysheeple
04-20-2015, 10:30 AM
The BK-9 is my usual go to in the jungle if I am not carrying an actual machete, the HI blades are great for chopping but are too heavy for hours of hacking at dense underbrush. The most chopping I do is cutting footholds on coconut trees, there is always tons of stuff to burn if I need a fire and don't have a camp stove. The HI khuk's are great for forest that are not jungles.

l921428x
04-20-2015, 03:34 PM
When I was working I carried a Schrade LB-7 everyday. When I heard they had been sold a bought 1 more
and put them up. I then bought 2 of the Kershaw Black Gulch and carried 1 for work and put up the
other. Since being retired I really have not carried a knife everyday.
Recently I have started carrying the knife my uncle-in-law gave me. It's nothing fancy a Remington Sportsman series.
But today I received the Kershaw 1660VIB Richard steered me towards and it is beautiful! Granted
it is not a EDC work knife so I will keep carrying the Rem. until I find something with a heavier blade.
Maybe something along this line. http://kershawguy.com/products-page/kershaw-blems/1550st-blem/

Richard Simmons
04-20-2015, 03:46 PM
When I was working I carried a Schrade LB-7 everyday. When I heard they had been sold a bought 1 more
and put them up. I then bought 2 of the Kershaw Black Gulch and carried 1 for work and put up the
other. Since being retired I really have not carried a knife everyday.
Recently I have started carrying the knife my uncle-in-law gave me. It's nothing fancy a Remington Sportsman series.
But today I received the Kershaw 1660VIB Richard steered me towards and it is beautiful! Granted
it is not a EDC work knife so I will keep carrying the Rem. until I find something with a heavier blade.
Glad you like it. Dave ships as fast or faster than anyone I know. If you ever have an issue he'll take care of you.

FunkyPertwee
04-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Buck for classic knives. Folders and fixed.

Cold Steel for modern blades. I love the lock up of the tri-ad lock backs, and I think Cold Steel's value equation is often times off the charts (if you purchase on places like amazon).

Also I love the SOG classic fixed blades. The Bowie 2.0 and the Agency give me a hard on.

Richard Simmons
04-20-2015, 06:14 PM
Buck for classic knives. Folders and fixed.

Cold Steel for modern blades. I love the lock up of the tri-ad lock backs, and I think Cold Steel's value equation is often times off the charts (if you purchase on places like amazon).

Also I love the SOG classic fixed blades. The Bowie 2.0 and the Agency give me a hard on.

I've got the SOG Seal Team and an old model of the Tiger shark. Both are quite nice. I like the looks of the Agency

ltorlo64
04-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Buck. I have bought a few of their knives, never had an issue with them and they hold an edge well.

FunkyPertwee
04-20-2015, 07:07 PM
I've got the SOG Seal Team and an old model of the Tiger shark. Both are quite nice. I like the looks of the Agency

I forgot about the seal team and tiger shark. My dad got the seal pup elite last year, and I keep telling him to get the other two sizes and make it a complete set.