PDA

View Full Version : Romanian AES-B RPK clone front gas block pin problem.

ratbert
10-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi everyone. I have a bit of a problem: Canted front sight and a slightly canted front gas block(where the gas is tapped off of the barrel). I need to move that gas block because it is canted just enough to make the gas piston hand up a bit in it. I read the tutorial on Romanian AK-47's and got the front sight pins out easily and the front of the two pins out of the gas block, but the rear one would not budge. So this is where I screwed up: I had peened both sides of where the pin is pretty bad(I know you are supposed to remove it from left to right, but I got tired and frustrated and wacked it a bit right to left) so I polished it down over where the pin is on both sides....and lost the location of where it is exactly, it just blended into the surrounding metal and even filing a bit of the metal off I just cannot find it. I did let both sides of the gas block soak with Kroil for the last 3 days so that I should be able to move the pin if I can find it.... Any ideas how to find it? I tried a black light on it incase the metals were dissimilar enough to show it, used cold blue on the surface in case the metals take it up differently, and of course ground it down a little...still I see nothing. I wish I had taken a picture of the area before I started the project, and used the Kroil initally(and if I EVER do this again I will do that!). Any ideas, suggestions? And I know I did this to myself, so be kind...lol

Elk River
10-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Before you try to remove the pin take a dead blow and "whack" the gas block as hard as you can and see if it moves. You may want to hit it a few times "as hard as you can". Sometimes it moves really easy and sometimes it doesn't. What I do is hold it behind the gas block (not right behind), hold onto the barrel and hit it.

You can do the same to the front sight and most of the time you won't need to remove the pins. Chinese can be the worst.

If you really want to locate the pin take a punch and hit it a couple of times where you think it is and it may show. Once located you may want to drill it out with a #33 drill and replace it if need be.

Hope this helps.

robert
02-06-2011, 11:20 PM
apply burnt motor oil let set 5 min wipe lightly you should see ring