PDA

View Full Version : M16 with CMMG 22LR PDW upper

kimberkid
05-07-2015, 04:15 PM
So to reduce my ammo cost shooting my M16 I decided to get a 22LR upper, and everyone said CMMG is the company to go with ... so I did.

I had quite a bit of trouble with it at first ... I tried every ammo I had from subsonic to Mini-Mags and it would typically run 2-3 rounds; sometimes as many as 10 but then the hammer would just follow the bolt rather that get tripped by the sear trip ... Justin said they were working on a new collar but it was still in testing phase so in the mean time they sent me a selection of sear trips (all had a bit different angle) which some did't work at all and none worked any better than the one I had, then they sent me a new bolt & collar which didn't help then they sent me "the" new and redesigned collar and it was like magic!

Link ... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/kimberkid/Videos/th_VID00269.mp4 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/kimberkid/Videos/VID00269.mp4)

In the 4th mag, the 2nd mag of Golden Bullet there was only 2 rounds left which is why I didn't mess with clearing it ... but later as I was loading up to go home I noticed the mag had cracked from the feed lips down to the body ... I'm not sure if thats why it jambed, it had extracted and the next one round was in pointing up with the last one cockeyed.

Some days the subsonic will run a bit and the usual FTF is that it doesn't strip a round from the mag ... running regular HV ammo with a suppressor is pretty quiet but I didn't use it today because I wanted to see how it would run ah-la natural ... :)

Aggressive Perfector
05-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Ok, first and foremost: You have an M16!? That alone gives me a chubby, whyich I'm currently stroking with KY Jealous!

Now that that's out of the way, I've always found semi auto's to be very finnicky with .22. Some are picky about ammo, some just jam with any ammo randomly so I'm not a fan of that. I can only imagine the struggle of trying to run full auto on it! Good luck getting your gun to run 100% and finding decent mags!

Schuetzenman
05-07-2015, 05:20 PM
I think the combination of the springs and the full power hammer spring cause a lot of failures to cycle in the .22 LR uppers. The blow back force has to cock the hammer on a standard lower. I have shortened the bolt group spring on my own .22 LR conversion bolt system. That helped quite a bit. I haven't yet done anything to reduce the hammer spring in the lower, haven't figured out how to go about it yet.

I am so green with envy, that M16 is sexy in .22 LR SBR version.

kimberkid
05-07-2015, 05:26 PM
Other than dud's in bulk packs I rarely have problems with 22's ...

I guess I've had 2 guns in 22LR which were unreliable, one was a Beretta NEOS with the 6" stainless target barrel and the other an HK Model 4 that would only run on mini-mags ... It was a conversion kit I had with a 32acp ... I sold it about a year ago as I don't have much use for either.

As for mags in the M16 and I use Black Dog Machine mags and don't have any problem with them in semi-auto ... the one thing I don't like about them is the "last round hold open" is the bolt hitting the follower which I suspect is what broke the mag and I have another one that is broken in the same place.

I think the combination of the springs and the full power hammer spring cause a lot of failures to cycle in the .22 LR uppers. The blow back force has to cock the hammer on a standard lower. I have the bolt group spring on my own .22 LR conversion bolt system. That helped quite a bit. I haven't yet done anything to reduce the hammer spring in the lower, haven't figured out how to go about it yet.

I am so green with envy, that M16 is sexy in .22 LR SBR version.

In semi I wasn't having any problem but that crossed my mind so I put a set of reduced power springs in the lower for 22 conversions. I think they were from Wolf, I got them from our rimfire range master)