PDA

View Full Version : Negligent discharge or Accidental discharge .

abpt1
07-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Post your Negligent Discharge or accidental here ....Maybe with a thread like this it will raise awareness and save someone from having a very bad day .

I classify this as accidental because my finger was still on the guard when it went off .

I have a very small .45acp Springfield V10 with a heavy weight spring and a light trigger... I was shooting one day released the slide and the V10 slammed forward with enough force to discharge it. My finger was clear resting on the trigger guard when I released the slide and in tiring to hang on to it the side of my finger hit the bang button...... bang dead flower bed .....anyway.... keep it in a safe direction ....shit happens

AKTexas
07-18-2010, 12:42 PM
This is the closest to an accidental discharge.I have been witness to numerous negligent handling of firearms while at the range.

My uncle was shooting one of his three surplus Walther PP models.He was shooting next to me at the range when I thought he had double tapped.I looked over at him and asked he had double tapped and he said he only pulled the trigger once.We dismissed it since the fellow next to him was shooting a .32 as well.We figured both fired simultaneously with him.

He went back to shooting and once again a double tap.This time he stopped dropped the mag and found the mag was empty and the last round was in the chamber.He only put in 5 rounds to begin with.

He broke the pistol down and found that the safety block had sear in two parts.I don't know how this caused a double firing.For a brief time we had a burst fire Walther .32 ACP.

chiak47
07-18-2010, 12:43 PM
The first time I went to bumpfire...I was trying to hook my finger on my belt loop and BOOM...about 2 feet in front of my foot.
I'm really not a big fan of bumpfiring...:conf44:

Lysander
07-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Should have been a fatal ND:

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_VwCUUYHd5IA/TBOtMOwAfLI/AAAAAAAAAFo/tevN2yA1RiU/s720/IMG_1500.CR2.jpg

The round would have gone through my left eye and out the back of my head had the FP struck the primer properly. I'm not ashamed to say I puked my guts out and spent an hour afterwards shaking and dry heaving.

I keep this round on my bedside table in the recharging station where I keep my knife, my watch, and other every day items. It's a reminder to me that no matter how stupid I might think the other guy is, I'm not so perfect myself.

chiak47
07-18-2010, 01:22 PM
The round would have gone through my left eye and out the back of my head had the FP struck the primer properly. I'm not ashamed to say I puked my guts out and spent an hour afterwards shaking and dry heaving.

What happened?

Paladin
07-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Close call ND/AD AAR.

Once upon a time, in my Uncle's kingdom... The team had just gotten back from an FTX. Weapons cleared/cleaned, a buddy "bopped" the butt of his M16 on the floor to bring the bolt into battery (although discouraged, a common practice). He went to place the rifle on safe, and couldn't. We got curious. Repeated the procedure. Same thing. We reported the event to the armorer when stowing the rifle. The Armorer later reported that the hammer was slipping the sear when the bolt was brought into battery. If the rifle had been locked and loaded...

Lesson learned. Always point the weapon in a "safe" direction. And if you need to fuck around, use your gun and not your rifle.

NAPOTS
07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Closest I cam was shooting a 1911 at the range.

I was adjusting the sights and was shooting 3 or 4 rounds at a time out of the magazine. I started dicking with the sights here and there and after a few groups I realized that I was adjusting the sights on a pistol with the slide in battery, hammer back and safety off. yup I lost count of how many rounds I fired and was holding a pistol with a round in the chamber.

Reminded me of the safety rules. and to take it slow at the range. No need to hurry. I broke a couple of the rules that day, if I broke others it could have ended up worse. What's a shame is I have been shooting for 20 years and I know better. Its embarassing if you ask me.

Lysander
07-18-2010, 02:53 PM
What happened?

Working on a Saiga conversion, didn't check to see if the chamber was cleared, had a faulty trigger. The previous day I had fired a couple of rounds through it to check for function. When I was tapping the front sight back on, the hammer tripped. Send the trigger back, haven't had any issues since. I've put about 1200rds through that rifle now.

chiak47
07-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Working on a Saiga conversion, didn't check to see if the chamber was cleared, had a faulty trigger. The previous day I had fired a couple of rounds through it to check for function. When I was tapping the front sight back on, the hammer tripped. Send the trigger back, haven't had any issues since. I've put about 1200rds through that rifle now.

You wouldn't have felt a thing...:big-eye-eek:

TEN-32
07-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Shot my wall and furnace in my old house after I got my first Glock years ago. meh...shit happens.:clap:

Solidus-snake
07-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Had a accidental discharge a few years ago. This has sparked alot of controversy and got be banned from HK pro but by Jesus im telling what happened.

I was practicing drawing with my new to me HK USP9. Drew pistol, hammer was NOT back, shirt got caught on hammer and I dropped the pistol, pistol landed on its side close to my foot and discharged. Hole in the floor about 6 inches up from my foot. I was shaking for hours.

Had some FTFs out of the thing beforehand. I took it to the gunsmith and he saw the firing pin was a bit worn and the cavity it was in was VERY dirty. Im thinking maybe the firing pin may have gotten hung up a bit away from the fully forward position, and the drop jarred it loose.

Also had a squib in my Norinco SKS that was about a quarter inch from allowing the next round to be fully seated. I thought it was just a jam and pulled the charging handle back and the next round ALMOST but not quite seated. Had the bullet gone any further, I prolly would have fired and..... Yeah.

ubersoldate
07-18-2010, 05:52 PM
About 13 years ago I was going to bed, locked the house down, checked everything to make sure nothing was left on, and went to my bedroom.
Put a fresh mag in my AMT hardballer 1911 and dropped the slide, and for some reason in this process I stopped using my brain and had my finger on the trigger.
Gun went off and thank goodness I was smart enough to always keep it pointing in a safe direction. Put a round into the ceiling, scared the hell out of the pretty girl I had staying over with me, and made my dog FREAK out..

Never since, never before, but I STILL look at that moment as a complete lack of judgement..Only takes a minute. THINK when your packing!

GunWorm
07-18-2010, 08:26 PM
a year or two ago, I took my .45 AR out of the safe to get some pictures of it. I dropped the empty mag, pulled back the charging handle, and seeing no round come out, i let it slide back home. then I pulled the trigger......

fuck that was loud...and I got a nice .45ACP hole through my wall. luckily, there is noting around me.

ALWAYS CHECK THE CHAMBER!!!!

Krupski
07-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Post your Negligent Discharge or accidental here ....Maybe with a thread like this it will raise awareness and save someone from having a very bad day .

I classify this as accidental because my finger was still on the guard when it went off .

No such thing as an "accidental" discharge. If the weapon fires when the user did not intend it to, it is due to the negligence of the user. ND... no such thing as AD.

Krupski
07-18-2010, 09:49 PM
The first time I went to bumpfire...I was trying to hook my finger on my belt loop and BOOM...about 2 feet in front of my foot.
I'm really not a big fan of bumpfiring...:conf44:

Quite a few years ago at an indoor range I had one of my AK rifles and a drum that I just bought. I loaded up the drum and fired a few rounds. The guy next to me wanted to take a look at the rifle, so I proceed to safe the weapon.

Mistake #1: I forgot to snap on the safety.

Then I went to remove the drum and the only way to get in there and press the release lever was to push against the trigger.

Mistake #2: Finger OFF the trigger.

BOOM! The rifle fired. Thank GOD it was pointed downrange!

I get the drum off and then pull the bolt open to CHECK the chamber (stupidly thinking "it fired, so now it's empty"). Of course, a live round fell out and onto the floor.

Now I'm all confused and thinking "I'm not in a frame of mind to shoot safely... I'm done for the day".

I check the rifle again for safe, then point it downrange and pull the trigger to be sure it's safe, then look at the chamber again, THEN I let the guy look at my rifle.

When he was done, I packed up and went home. My mind was obviously on something else and I wasn't shooting safely, so it was time to quit.

And yes I call what I did a NEGLIGENT discharge. The rifle fired and I didn't expect to.

Thank GOD it was pointed downrange... http://three-dog.homelinux.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/eek.gif

wrench60
07-19-2010, 07:44 PM
I was going to clean my AR one Saturday, pulled the mag out and it was empty. I pulled the bolt back and just let it go forward, pointed the gun straight up and blew a nice little hole in the roof. My wife came in the living room with a what the hell are you doing look on her face. Scared me to death, but a lesson learned. No one but the roof was hurt.

l921428x
07-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Dec 2006. Round chambered, safety on, rifle sitting in the corner of the utility closet. I fell in the closet causing a ND, shot myself through the left arm causing nerve damage that I feel even now as I type. It took me four months to relearn how to touch my thumb to my pinky finger.
Not a single day goes by that I am not reminded of that foolish night.

Ashamed hell yes, but I was also very blessed by God that it was not worse.

Ruskiegunlover
07-20-2010, 10:22 AM
whats 'ND'? I know 'AD', accidental discharge.......

Paladin
07-20-2010, 10:55 AM
whats 'ND'? I know 'AD', accidental discharge.......

Whether the discharge is accidental or negligent usually refers to the actions of the shooter as opposed to those of another (say, an armorer). For instance, if a paratrooper does a PLF (parachute landing fall) and impacts a BFR (big fucking rock) and his M16 discharges because he has a round in the chamber it is a ND. And if the belt fed M60 starts cooking off rounds, that's an AD, usually accompanied with, "break the fucking belt" being screamed in your ear. Arguably, nearly all civilian "ADs" are actually NDs.

circuits
07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
+1 - an AD can only occur from a mechanical failure of the firearm, which is unrelated to the operator's handling and maintenance of the firearm and ammunition. All other unintentional discharges are NDs.

The only discharge I've had which I consider an AD was a piece of debris which lodged between the nose of the trigger and the hammer on my M16 during an MG shoot. I completed a mag change and pressed the BHO, and got a mag dump.

Since I was not negligently disregarding any of the rules of safe firearm handling, all 30 went downrange into the berm, without doing any damage or scaring anyone but me (it was an MG shoot, after all).

Lysander
07-20-2010, 12:55 PM
You wouldn't have felt a thing...:big-eye-eek:

Still makes my asshole pucker when I think about it.

slamfire51
07-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Neither accidental or negligent discharge for me. New category....STUPID discharge.

I had removed the mag from my AR a few days previous to this happening. I took the AR from the safe and was about to remove the upper. Thinking it was unloaded, I pulled the trigger to lower the hammer.
KA_BOOM, with ears ringing and shaking I looked under the computer desk to see how much damage was done to the floor.
The round had gone through a box of AK building tools, hitting several pieces of metal.
Surprisingly, the round stayed in the box after fragmenting. No damage to the floor or the wall.
Here's a couple pics of the aftermath.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/uh-oh002-01.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/uh-oh005-03.jpg

Biz
09-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Very true...... last summer i was shooting my Romak, i cleaned the rifle a couple weekends prior to shooting, evidentally i DID NOT check to see if the "shepard hook" was re-mounted in a secure fashion.
well...... i shot off a couple rounds, re-aimed (with finger on the gaurd) and then....... about 4-5 rounds of runaway fire let loose without warning.
after dropping the clip and clearing the rifle i realized that the hook was not properly latched on the pin for the trigger group and had backed out.
Scared the everloving shit out of me:mouse2:

aliceinchains
09-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Bulgarian AK47 i had a gunsmith build was having extraction problems. Well i decided to clean the rifle.

Of course i had the mag out and pulled the bolt back and thought it was clear. Wrong? As i was trying to disassemble the rifle i placed my finger on the trigger and bang.
Went through the refrigerator corner to corner. Into the paneling and then through 4 wood studs and out the front of the trailer i use to live in. Never found the bullet.

El Duce
09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Was at the range yesterday with my BIL and two of his friends. I loaded a magazine for my Max 11. Inserted it into the mag well. Handed it to my BIL's friend. Instructed him on pulling the bolt back, he did, gun pointed in a safe direction. Downrange. He pulls the bolt back, it doesn't catch, goes forward and boom.

Not sure what happened.

AKTexas
09-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Not a discharge but potentially dangerous.

I was at my buddy's shop and he told me about this shop he went to while he was at an airshow.They had one of those Skorpian .32 ACP pistols like the one they were selling in his shop.

He told me this place rented some neat stuff to shoot and this Skorpian was one they rented but it was also for sale,he asked to look at it.The guy behind the counter pulled it out and handed the pistol to him without checking if it was clear.

Old rules and practices kicked in;he pointed the pistol away from anyone,removed the mag and pulled the bolt open to check to make sure it was clear.This was in full sight of the guy behind the counter.When he pulled the bolt out a live round ejected and the guy caught it in his chest.

The manager,owner or whatever he was,saw the live round eject into the fellows chest.He stormed over to where my buddy was at.He first apologized to him then asked him for the pistol.He then commenced to ripping this guy a new one in front of everyone in the shop.

I always make it a habit to clear a firearm that is handed to me even if I see it done for me.

Penguin
09-20-2010, 04:39 PM
I had a gun that malfunctioned and fired when it wasn't supposed to. Lucky for me and every one else it was pointed down range. I acidentally touched a round off in my 1911 when I was reloading once. Again I was lucky I had it pointed down range. I have done some other dumb things over the years. I was dry fire pactacing one day and almost put a round though my computer screen. Luckly I decided to check to make sure the gun was empty just before I pulled the triger. I though it was empty it wasn't. Good news was had I been that dumb at least I had a concreate wall behind that computer screen. just last night I was tired and disasembling my sterling, not thinking when I realized wait the mag is still in this gun. A loaded mag. Yeah I had chambered a round. STUPID STUPID me.

No one is fool proof I need to be more carefull.

old Grump
09-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Couple of slamfires with reloaded ammo with my issue M1 a few years ago, well more like 30 years ago. I learned to use a different primer.

Brother handed me an empty 45 after he shot it dry. I carried it into the house and laid it on my bed till I got the rest of our shooting gear inside to be put away. Hammer was still back so I figured he had let the slide go forward after the last shot and just hadn't pulled the trigger. Turns out there was one round still in the gun and I put a hole in my bedroom floor. I always check, that time I didn't.

If you play around with guns long enough it will eventually happen. No damage done, can't even find the hole because the carpet hid it. Glad I was pointed down instead of up like I usually do. I'm also glad my bedroom is floor to ceiling, wall to wall books, carpeted and was next to my bed. Mostly I'm glad it was a match load and not a full power hardball load. My books and carpeting attenuated the sound well enough it didn't really hurt my ears but it still was a very unpleasant gut wrenching minute there.

hazmat
09-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Not a discharge but potentially dangerous.

I was at my buddy's shop and he told me about this shop he went to while he was at an airshow.They had one of those Skorpian .32 ACP pistols like the one they were selling in his shop.

He told me this place rented some neat stuff to shoot and this Skorpian was one they rented but it was also for sale,he asked to look at it.The guy behind the counter pulled it out and handed the pistol to him without checking if it was clear.

Old rules and practices kicked in;he pointed the pistol away from anyone,removed the mag and pulled the bolt open to check to make sure it was clear.This was in full sight of the guy behind the counter.When he pulled the bolt out a live round ejected and the guy caught it in his chest.

The manager,owner or whatever he was,saw the live round eject into the fellows chest.He stormed over to where my buddy was at.He first apologized to him then asked him for the pistol.He then commenced to ripping this guy a new one in front of everyone in the shop.

I always make it a habit to clear a firearm that is handed to me even if I see it done for me.

Had something similar happen at the fun store here in RC. Asked to see a .22 semi-auto and the guy behind the counter gets the piece from under the glass. Drops the mag, locks the slide back and what happens? A .22LR round comes flying out of the chamber!

It gets better. Looked down at the mag on the counter and low and behold! There's 10 more rds sitting in the mag on the counter! (Not sure what happened over that, the guy who showed me the gun still works there, and I didn't see any personnel changes in the store. But again, safety first!)

Now as to my own misadventures, I had my NDM slamfire on me at hunting camp a couple of years ago. Loaded the rifle and charged it slowly (Yeah, I know, that's what the spring is for, right?) and the BCG didn't go fully into battery. Didn't notice it all day. Got back to camp and went to clear the rifle between the open passenger side doors of my truck. Couldn't get the thing to open up, so I pointed the barrel between my feet and yanked back on the charging handle. Everything after that is still a blur. Yanked back, let go, bolt goes forward, NDM goes BANG. Dirt and shit fly up in my face and all over the passenger side of the truck. 6" wide, 3" deep crater in the ground between my feet, not toes, feet--the instep part, which are 8" apart. Did I mention I was using Federal ammo to boot and the rifle had a brand new spring in the SLFP? Fingers were no wheres even close to the trigger when it happened.

Ears ringing to beat all hell, I finished clearing the rifle, put it back in the tent, went to the beer cooler and had two or three reaalllly fast cold ones to calm down, then changed my shorts. Never did find the brass from that, but I did learn one valuable lesson. Never, under any circumstances use Federal ammunition or ammunition loaded with Federal primers in an NDM 86. That, and I'm even more paranoid about trigger and barrel discipline after that than ever.

Hatedbysheeple
09-20-2010, 07:24 PM
14 or 15 years old, throwing clays to myself with one of those stomp down throwers, 12gauge double barrel side by side, loaded the gun, had the hammers cocked and finger on the trigger, pointed down at the ground, went to re-adjust my ear pro with my left hand and with the increased weight BANG, scared the shit outta me, looked at the ground, about 3 inches from my right big toe was a crater, a very real lesson in the rules of gun safety. Since then I have been anal about gun safety, it was all the lesson I needed.

TheMightyGoat
09-20-2010, 10:27 PM
can't even find the hole because the carpet hid it

They make a cream for that.

El Duce
09-21-2010, 11:11 AM
A few years ago, my truck got shot. I took a few friends up to the camp. The cabin is about a half mile off the main road. So, I told my buddys to load up if they wanted to. Well, the one guy had a lever action .35 rem. We got to the cabin. I exit the truck. only to hear a bang! I drop to the ground. Turns out he was unloading the gun, or something, was trying to drop the hammer. Well he did! Took out my wiring harness underneath the steering colum. And the fuse box. If I had been sitting there, good chance that my knees might have been hit. Cost the guy a little under 3 grand to fix my truck.

slamfire51
09-21-2010, 11:16 AM
A few years ago, my truck got shot. I took a few friends up to the camp. The cabin is about a half mile off the main road. So, I told my buddys to load up if they wanted to. Well, the one guy had a lever action .35 rem. We got to the cabin. I exit the truck. only to hear a bang! I drop to the ground. Turns out he was unloading the gun, or something, was trying to drop the hammer. Well he did! Took out my wiring harness underneath the steering colum. And the fuse box. If I had been sitting there, good chance that my knees might have been hit. Cost the guy a little under 3 grand to fix my truck.

You were lucky.

The ole thumb and hammer discharge.
Happens more times than you think.