PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of an Anti-Second Amendment Liberal

ltorlo64
06-30-2015, 06:10 AM
Been meaning to write this for a while but just didn't get around to it. As most of you know I work in the DC area and was in lock down when the Navy Yard shooting happened. I don't work at the Navy Yard but when the shooting first happened there were reports of other shooters and the building I work in was one that was thought to be near one of the other reported shooters. Everyone in my office knows I like to shoot and that I own a few guns. One of my co-workers at the time was a naval officer who was born and raised in Maryland. He often teased me about owning firearms and how scared I must be to feel the need to have them and want to carry them. On the day of the shooting there were various emergency notifications we received telling us to shelter in place, lock our doors, stay away from windows, etc. This co-worker looked at me and said "I bet if you had one of your guns you would go out and try to hunt down the shooter." I replied "No, but I my only option for self-defense against this lunatic would not be to lock a door, hide under my desk, and hope that the murderer doesn't find me." He was silent for a moment and the conversation stopped.

A while later those terrorists attacked and beheaded that soldier in England. As the news came out on that this same co-worker says "And this is why they should allow us to carry firearms for self-defense. It is just wrong that soldiers and sailors must be unarmed to go to and from work and anytime they want to go onto a military installation." I asked him why he believed this. His answer was very interesting. He said "It is wrong for us to have no means of self-defense against terrorists and murderers except to hide and beg for our lives."

I guess logic does win out when the rubber actually meets the road. This guy is not what we would call a Second Amendment supporter now, but he is much closer than he was when we first met. He was even looking at buying a gun when he transferred. This was not something he would have even considered before the Navy Yard shooting and our short discussion.

1 Patriot-of-many
06-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Sad it takes personally being in jeopardy like that before they wake up. I've never been in any situation where I needed to be carrying a gun yet, but I'm not blind to the fact that time could come at any moment on any day.

ltorlo64
06-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Sad it takes personally being in jeopardy like that before they wake up. I've never been in any situation where I needed to be carrying a gun yet, but I'm not blind to the fact that time could come at any moment on any day.

And it is better to be prepared on that day than hope you are alive the next day to start preparations.

El Jefe
06-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Um, does this brainiac realize its no safer for the civilians not on bases?

I love how he thinks its wrong for him not to be able to defend himself, but still isn't a supporter of the 2nd.

ltorlo64
06-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Um, does this brainiac realize its no safer for the civilians not on bases?

I love how he thinks its wrong for him not to be able to defend himself, but still isn't a supporter of the 2nd.

Remember, evolution takes billions of years. He is moving the right direction considering what he was taught growing up in Maryland. Still has a ways to go, I agree, but he has made significant progress.

El Jefe
06-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Remember, evolution takes billions of years. He is moving the right direction considering what he was taught growing up in Maryland. Still has a ways to go, I agree, but he has made significant progress.

I guess the fact that he's in the military didn't jog any brain cells? Nations can defend themselves yet individuals can't? Can this fool tie his own shoes?

CigarGuy
06-30-2015, 09:41 AM
MacDill AFB here in Tampa subcontracts to a firm(I know this because my son-in-law works for the firm)for their armed protection.
They run 3-8 hours shifts 24/7. Think it's for Southern Command, which is stationed there, it that makes a difference.

mrkalashnikov
06-30-2015, 10:08 AM
And yet this clown is a naval "officer"?

FunkyPertwee
06-30-2015, 10:51 AM
I went and got my CCW after an armed robbery suspect hid next to me and my mother in a hardees. The cops came in with guns drawn and took him into custody. Afterwords my mom said "I sure am glad you were carrying your gun", however she was only assuming that I carried because I like to shoot recreationaly.

Afterwords I began the process for obtaining my permit.

ltorlo64
06-30-2015, 11:14 AM
I guess the fact that he's in the military didn't jog any brain cells? Nations can defend themselves yet individuals can't? Can this fool tie his own shoes?

The people that fill the military are educated at the same public schools that do their best to not discuss the Constitution, so this should not be a surprise. Just because someone takes an oath does not undo 12+ years of indoctrination in unconstitutional thought. While we may not like this answer, it is reality. This is why it is so important to have measured discussions about the Constitution, liberty and freedom, what they mean and what they don't. This is not taught in school and it is not discussed in most homes so it is a new idea. Presented in a logical way most people will see the light. Presented in an argumentative way or in a way that talks down to other people solidifies their preconceived notions that people who believe in the Constitution are crazy and a danger to society.

ltorlo64
06-30-2015, 11:16 AM
MacDill AFB here in Tampa subcontracts to a firm(I know this because my son-in-law works for the firm)for their armed protection.
They run 3-8 hours shifts 24/7. Think it's for Southern Command, which is stationed there, it that makes a difference.

Only if I can carry one in my pocket! We have private security at the installation I work at but it would take them at least a minute to get to my office if they were not on a patrol and happened to be right outside our door. As we say, I am always where I will be so if someone attacks me I am already here. Response time is dictated by how my reflexes, not distance.

ltorlo64
06-30-2015, 11:19 AM
And yet this clown is a naval "officer"?

As I already responded, he is a product of the public school system. Try talking to most young officers and you will be surprised what they think is and is not allowed by the Constitution. They sound like most other young men and women. The military does not teach the history and meaning of the Constitution. In the current political climate teaching the Constitution in the military could be seen as dangerous to some politicians and departments.

mrkalashnikov
06-30-2015, 11:24 AM
As I already responded, he is a product of the public school system. Try talking to most young officers and you will be surprised what they think is and is not allowed by the Constitution. They sound like most other young men and women. The military does not teach the history and meaning of the Constitution. In the current political climate teaching the Constitution in the military could be seen as dangerous to some politicians and departments.

In light of the whole Pub Ed thing I guess it's not surprising. Sad nonetheless, that this is what our country has become, especially in regards to people in leadership positions in the Armed Forces.

ltorlo64
06-30-2015, 11:56 AM
In light of the whole Pub Ed thing I guess it's not surprising. Sad nonetheless, that this is what our country has become, especially in regards to people in leadership positions in the Armed Forces.

If I may don my tinfoil hat for a moment, I would say this has been the long vision and goal of the Teachers Unions and one of the reasons why liberals hold a large majority of the teaching positions in the country. It is easier to win arguments and, more importantly, elections when the people have already been taught the right answer. Not how to think, process information and come to an answer but just what the right answer is supposed to be. For example, how did communism and Nazism spread so well, by getting the children as early as possible and indoctrinating them vice educating them.

mrkalashnikov
06-30-2015, 02:38 PM
If I may don my tinfoil hat for a moment, I would say this has been the long vision and goal of the Teachers Unions and one of the reasons why liberals hold a large majority of the teaching positions in the country. It is easier to win arguments and, more importantly, elections when the people have already been taught the right answer. Not how to think, process information and come to an answer but just what the right answer is supposed to be. For example, how did communism and Nazism spread so well, by getting the children as early as possible and indoctrinating them vice educating them.

I believe there's no tinfoil whatsoever in your explanation. Marxist indoctrination picked up traction in this country during the turmoil of the 1960's, & has been ramped up exponentially in America's "learning" institutions since, especially over the last two decades or so.

Schuetzenman
06-30-2015, 08:06 PM

And teaching the Constitution to Officers because of the shitty school systems IS EXACTLY what needs to happen. Otherwise eventually some Politician will say shoot at the people and they will!

ltorlo64
07-01-2015, 04:14 AM
And teaching the Constitution to Officers because of the shitty school systems IS EXACTLY what needs to happen. Otherwise eventually some Politician will say shoot at the people and they will!

I don't disagree and I teach and talk about it often. Unfortunately, I have to be careful to avoid hate speech rules and so that I don't just seem argumentative. As with this time, I chose my words and timing carefully to provide real world examples of why the Constitution was written with the wording used. It is a slow process but I have found it very effective.

Schuetzenman
07-01-2015, 06:06 AM
I don't disagree and I teach and talk about it often. Unfortunately, I have to be careful to avoid hate speech rules and so that I don't just seem argumentative. As with this time, I chose my words and timing carefully to provide real world examples of why the Constitution was written with the wording used. It is a slow process but I have found it very effective.

:thumbspbig:

TEN-32
07-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Liberalism is anathema to facts and reality. I really like the story and hope many of your colleagues became a bit more enlightened. We need to learn how to never let a crisis go to waste in the advancement of our agenda.