PDA

View Full Version : That "gamey" flavor...

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Hey guys.

So I'm slowly working through my first wild pig, (The first one I bagged myself anyways) and some of the meat, especially the darker portions has a bit of that "wild taste" to it.

It's not bad with a little spices, but I'm sort of shooting in the dark here. Sometimes I get good results. Sometimes I'd think I was eating liver if it weren't for the texture.

So what are good flavors to compliment the wild game taste? I'm thinking garlic, mushrooms, and fish sauce, could all go good, I just don't know what to do with them per say.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

El Jefe
10-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey guys.

So I'm slowly working through my first wild pig, (The first one I bagged myself anyways) and some of the meat, especially the darker portions has a bit of that "wild taste" to it.

It's not bad with a little spices, but I'm sort of shooting in the dark here. Sometimes I get good results. Sometimes I'd think I was eating liver if it weren't for the texture.

So what are good flavors to compliment the wild game taste? I'm thinking garlic, mushrooms, and fish sauce, could all go good, I just don't know what to do with them per say.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Have you tried soaking overnight before cooking in either salted water or milk?

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Nope. Will do!

ubersoldate
10-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Yup.
Works for squirrel, and even rattlesnake...

El Jefe
10-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Doc, I think you'll find it helps and it really can't hurt anything. Doesn't fix duck quite well enough, only the smoker makes those edible IMO. :)

AKTexas
10-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Brine solutions fix all manner of off taste.

Hondo
10-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Milk is always good

Try the Ice/lemon juice/ vinegar soak suggested here, it really works! http://www.texasboars.com/articles/recipes.html

Gunner1558
10-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Marinate overnight in milk.

Trim all excess fat. Fat is probably the greatest contributor to gamy flavor.

Use tomato sauce when possible. ( Cacciatore, stew, etc. )

Use as much spice as you can without overdoing it.

Smoking is always a good way to prepare game.

Make sausage with wild boar and add sage. I also grind apples in with mine.

O.S.O.K.
10-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Beer and lots of it.

You, not the pork :lool:

Seriously, a lot of guys just grind the gamier hogs into sausage which of course is highly spiced.

But the marinating will help. So does smoking - the hog, not you ;)

AK again
12-26-2010, 12:45 AM

Wouldn't it make the meat unkosher if you cooked it in milk? (OK, I know pork's not Kosher to begin with, that's part of the humor of it all ...)

Guns Network Staff
12-26-2010, 01:07 AM
Here is a clue when dressing a pig DO NOT just field dress by BUSTING the URINE BAG. This is what gives 70% of most game the wild taste.

When dressing ANY animal, I surgically take out the urine bag and place in a plastic bag inside the animal.

Urine tend to change the meat fast and rapidly as it will pentrate most muscle tissue and taint the meat quickly.

El Jefe
12-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Here is a clue when dressing a pig DO NOT just field dress by BUSTING the URINE BAG. This is what gives 70% of most game the wild taste.

When dressing ANY animal, I surgically take out the urine bag and place in a plastic bag inside the animal.

Urine tend to change the meat fast and rapidly as it will pentrate most muscle tissue and taint the meat quickly.

Oh yeah, you rupture the bladder and you're fooked. It's always best to take a little time and be careful when field dressing any game animal. It's just common sense, who want's any food item soaked in piss? Of course this can be harder than it sounds when it's cold and windy out, and your hands are cold and wet. :)

robert
02-14-2011, 01:31 PM
smoking slow like boston butt gives great results

Bluntforce
02-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Soak overnight in pineapple or tomato juice.