PDA

View Full Version : Judge issued a worldwide injunction stopping enforcement of don't ask don't tell.

Arnulf
10-12-2010, 05:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101012/ap_on_re_us/us_gays_in_military

By JULIE WATSON, Associated Press Writer Julie Watson, Associated Press Writer – 3 mins ago

SAN DIEGO – A federal judge issued a worldwide injunction Tuesday immediately stopping enforcement of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy, suspending the 17-year-old ban on openly gay U.S. troops.

U.S. District Judge Virginia Phillips' landmark ruling also ordered the government to suspend and discontinue all pending discharge proceedings and investigations under the policy.

U.S. Department of Justice attorneys have 60 days to appeal. Pentagon and Department of Justice officials said they are reviewing the case and had no immediate comment.

The injunction goes into effect immediately, said Dan Woods, the attorney who represented the Log Cabin Republicans, the gay rights group that filed the lawsuit in 2004 to stop the ban's enforcement.

"Don't ask, don't tell, as of today at least, is done, and the government is going to have to do something now to resurrect it," Woods said. "This is an extremely significant, historic decision. Once and for all, this failed policy is stopped. Fortunately now we hope all Americans who wish to serve their country can."

:thsfi_slapfight::thsfi_slapfight::bj2::fagfight:: welcome4::char021:

matshock
10-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Like I said before- I respect the ones in there now because they are soldiers first.

Six months from now you'll have a guy hand in orders stating that he is a woman trapped in man's body and can't lift more than 40 pounds.

Then you'll have a drill instructor brought up on charges because he wouldn't accept a high-pitched sound-off or a lispy yesss siir from a man.

Quote me.

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-12-2010, 06:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

Happy Hooligan
10-12-2010, 06:59 PM
How the fuck does a judge make world-wide injunctions??? I don't remember seeing Virginia Phillips name on any ballot. Good way for the liberals to dodge this unpopular subject. What's next? Injunctions against all deportations? Injunctions against owning assault weapons?

Why did they waste the time of asking for the input of the military and sending out surveys to military members?

swampdragon
10-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I can just see it now.

Same sex couple gets beat down by neighbors in government housing.
Film at 11:00..........

nfa1934
10-12-2010, 07:20 PM
If we're throwing around injunctions now, where the hell are the injunctions against all the laws that are in violation of actual rights?

mriddick
10-12-2010, 07:23 PM
It's sort of an interesting ruling Constitutionally considering the Constitution only gives Congress the ability to make rules and regulations for the military (Atricle I. Section 8). Plus she has extended BOR freedoms to servicemen and women by basing this ruling on the 1st and 5th amendments, which could cause concern for the UCMJ in the long run. Who knows if this stands the serviceman who recently outed Afghanistan covert missions could use it in a defense as simply asserting his 1st Amendment rights.

yankeedog
10-12-2010, 07:36 PM
The judge is a queer lover thats all there is to it!!!

American Rage
10-12-2010, 09:14 PM
If it were up to me, the commie cunt would swing for treason.

Rage

Ronwicp
10-13-2010, 05:17 AM
I am a little confused by all this. "Dont ask dont tell" doesnt make it a no no to be gay. It is a policy in place so you cant ask someone if they are gay. But under this policy if someone told you they were gay they could be put out.

If they suspend the dont ask dont tell policy, it doesnt mean its ok to be a fag, it just means we can ask again.

HDR
10-13-2010, 05:26 AM
The courts have been exceeding their constitutional authority for years. Lawyers and judges are certain they rule the nation free to interpret or re-write the Constitution whenever they please.

mriddick
10-13-2010, 06:00 AM
I am a little confused by all this. "Dont ask dont tell" doesnt make it a no no to be gay. It is a policy in place so you cant ask someone if they are gay. But under this policy if someone told you they were gay they could be put out.

If they suspend the dont ask dont tell policy, it doesnt mean its ok to be a fag, it just means we can ask again.

Legally it means it the judge gave 1st and 5th Amendment protections to servicemen and women (now you can say anything to anyone?) not to mention she stepped all over Article I. Section 8 of the Constitution.

Maybe someone should test these new freedoms by telling their commanding officer exactly how they really feel about him. Lets see if the only rights servicemen have is to discuss their sexuality?

LAGC
10-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Six months from now you'll have a guy hand in orders stating that he is a woman trapped in man's body and can't lift more than 40 pounds.

Then you'll have a drill instructor brought up on charges because he wouldn't accept a high-pitched sound-off or a lispy yesss siir from a man.

Stereotype much? Most gay people don't have high-pitched voices or lisps. They're just normal-looking people who have to keep their sex lives a secret, or else... we've lost many skilled translators because of this discriminatory bullshit. But while we're at it, I imagine there are some "butch" lesbians who could run circles around their drill instructors. :rofl:

aliceinchains
10-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Stereotype much? Most gay people don't have high-pitched voices or lisps. They're just normal-looking people who have to keep their sex lives a secret, or else... we've lost many skilled translators because of this discriminatory bullshit. But while we're at it, I imagine there are some "butch" lesbians who could run circles around their drill instructors. :rofl:

Are you talking about translators for combat regions.

LAGC
10-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Are you talking about translators for combat regions.

No, just translators period. Even the ones that sit in an office in Langley intercepting foreign calls have been fired just because someone found out about their personal life, either because a boyfriend/girlfriend made a flirtatious comment on their Facebook page, or otherwise exposed them. It's also an ideal recruiting magnet for foreign spies, who can use such knowledge as leverage against soldiers, threatening to let their secret out if they don't betray their country. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is simply counter-productive policy that hurts the military's goals.

mriddick
10-13-2010, 07:40 PM
No, just translators period. Even the ones that sit in an office in Langley intercepting foreign calls have been fired just because someone found out about their personal life, either because a boyfriend/girlfriend made a flirtatious comment on their Facebook page, or otherwise exposed them. It's also an ideal recruiting magnet for foreign spies, who can use such knowledge as leverage against soldiers, threatening to let their secret out if they don't betray their country. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is simply counter-productive policy that hurts the military's goals.

And your experience with the military is....

Tell me how do you legally get around Article I. Section 8 of the Constitution? Unless Congress decides to give away it's power in this area there's simply no way the jurisdiction has authority over the matter.

LAGC
10-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Tell me how do you legally get around Article I. Section 8 of the Constitution? Unless Congress decides to give away it's power in this area there's simply no way the jurisdiction has authority over the matter.

Federal courts can and have ruled on issues regarding military policy, especially when fundamental civil rights of service members are involved. The group who filed this lawsuit, BTW? The Log Cabin Republicans.

----------------

The Log Cabin Republicans said more than 13,500 service members have been fired since 1994.

"This decision will change the lives of many individuals who only wanted to serve their country bravely," said the group's attorney, Dan Woods.

Woods argued during the nonjury trial that the policy violates gay military members' rights to free speech, open association and right to due process as guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/09/dont-ask-dont-tell-unconstitutional-ruled-judge_n_711508.html

Ronwicp
10-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Legally it means it the judge gave 1st and 5th Amendment protections to servicemen and women (now you can say anything to anyone?) not to mention she stepped all over Article I. Section 8 of the Constitution.

Maybe someone should test these new freedoms by telling their commanding officer exactly how they really feel about him. Lets see if the only rights servicemen have is to discuss their sexuality?

Thats not what I mean. Dont ask, dont tell didnt make it ok to be gay in the military. Dont ask dont tell didnt change the rules about serving and being gay. It was a disqualifying thing before and after dont ask dont tell.

The only thing that policy did was make it to where a commander couldnt ask someone if they were gay.

So, if you are gay and serving I cant ask you and you cant tell me, because it is still not ok to be gay and you can be discharged.

Suspending the policy doesnt make it ok to be gay. It just means that I can ask you if you are gay now.

At least that is the way I read it.

Arnulf
10-13-2010, 09:35 PM
No 1 judge should have the power to make a decision like that for the entire country....sodomites openly allowed in the U.S Armed forces.....I truly believe that its all over for this country as far as having the moral high ground....and its just a down hill slide from here on out.

LAGC
10-13-2010, 10:07 PM
sodomites openly allowed in the U.S Armed forces.....I truly believe that its all over for this country as far as having the moral high ground....and its just a down hill slide from here on out.

I don't know, Israel legalized gays in their military in 1993, and they seem to be holding their own.

American Rage
10-13-2010, 10:18 PM
I don't know, Israel legalized gays in their military in 1993, and they seem to be holding their own.

No wonder the IDF does so poorly today when compared to their earlier, pre-gay, victories.

Rage

LAGC
10-13-2010, 11:20 PM
No wonder the IDF does so poorly today when compared to their earlier, pre-gay, victories.

Actually, most of IDF's morale problems stem from their unjust occupations of Palestinian territory. I know the suicide rate and rate of drug abuse of veterans is real high, but that has to do with politics, not sexuality.

Dr_Scholl
10-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Who gives a shit if gays want to serve in the military? Let em. We have bigger problems right now.

mriddick
10-14-2010, 06:07 AM
This is why these matters drag on, the public argues them on a person level while the courts are fighting them on legal grounds.

Smitty258
10-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Who gives a shit if gays want to serve in the military? Let em. We have bigger problems right now.

I agree. As long as they do their job and perform their duty, who cares what they do in their personal life.