PDA

View Full Version : Something cool I read about those 33 Chilean miners....

tank_monkey
10-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Sure, with all the drama and 'skeletons in the closet' (some of those miners had a wife AND a girlfriend, Doh!) that's big international news, getting those 33 miners out after 68 days underground.

One thing I read in several press accounts that the men were asked to 'vote' as to the order of which they could be rescued. Each guy voted himself to be the last guy out.
:clap:
If that's the case, then a big thumbs UP! With all this CRAP and Crazy news in the world, Sure, there will be naysayers, but screw the haters. I like hearing news like that. Making sure your buddies are okay before you're rescued. We need to hear stuff like that more often! :D

Guns Network Staff
10-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Watching it right now.

My hats off to Chile and all conutries involved.

deth502
10-12-2010, 11:43 PM
if you had just found out that your wife had just met your girlfriend, and they were both waiting outside, would you be in a hurry to leave?

yankeedog
10-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Each guy voted himself to be the last guy out.
Id tell them they could play John Wayne all you want, I want the fuck out first!

tank_monkey
10-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Id tell them they could play John Wayne all you want, I want the fuck out first!

Not big on inspiring youngsters with tales of heroism and courage, eh? ;) lOL

Ronwicp
10-13-2010, 05:08 AM
Making sure your buddies are okay before you're rescued. We need to hear stuff like that more often! :D

Hardly. They are fighting to see who will be the longest trapped under ground. Its for the movie and book deals that are to come. I think one guy was quoted as telling his wife something to the effect of "if we play this right we will never have to work again".

azhonkey
10-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Hardly. They are fighting to see who will be the longest trapped under ground. Its for the movie and book deals that are to come. I think one guy was quoted as telling his wife something to the effect of "if we play this right we will never have to work again".

ya thats the way i was lookin at it.there's money to be made.if that happened in the usa the movie producers would be makin a movie by now.

Mark Ducati
10-13-2010, 09:15 AM
33 Miners were in a very small room from what I understand it was only 600 sq. ft., that's like a 30x20 room... anybody have any mining experience or info? I know they had food down there, but what about air? Where did the air come from? That's a pretty small room for 33 guys... then factor in 9 weeks of living down there, I wonder how they handled their own human waste? Seems like after 9 weeks, the smell would over power you? Did they have lights?

Richard Simmons
10-13-2010, 09:45 AM
I heard one guy was running 6 miles a day through the shafts. If confined to a 600sf chamber that would seem nearly impossible even without 32 other people in the room with you. Plus the waste in that confined a space would have probably killed them all by now. I'm betting it was a much larger area.

According to a Wikipedia entry they had a 50 square meter shelter and access to 2 kilometers of galleries/tunnels. Unless they were able to send them down some plastic bags or something I would imagine they did their business as far down the tunnel as they could from where they were staying.

Mark Ducati
10-13-2010, 10:12 AM
That makes more sense... the GMA report only mentioned the 600 sq. ft. room.... access to tunnels, and able to run, sounds like they had electricity and all... not my idea of a vaction, but 9 weeks to "chill" and get paid for it? Maybe it wasn't all that bad?

tank_monkey
10-13-2010, 11:41 AM
33 Miners were in a very small room from what I understand it was only 600 sq. ft., that's like a 30x20 room... anybody have any mining experience or info? I know they had food down there, but what about air? Where did the air come from? That's a pretty small room for 33 guys... then factor in 9 weeks of living down there, I wonder how they handled their own human waste? Seems like after 9 weeks, the smell would over power you? Did they have lights?

Don't be a skeptic if you don't know the facts ;) There is still a labyrinth of LONG tunnels (almost two miles you can still walk down there). They are about 2000 feet down. The cave in destroyed the tunnels about halfway to the surface (about 1000 feet down). The 600 sq ft was their main livingi space, but they would go about several hundred yards away to do their business in various corners of the tunnel labryinth. Again I saw the drawing of the tunnel system. These guys had MILES of underground tunnel to walk around (or run) in. But after 17 days the air started getting stale. Also the first rescuers after 17 days drilled an airshaft (about the size of a grapefruit) and started pumping in air. Any more skepticism Mister positive? :D

yankeedog
10-13-2010, 12:16 PM

Mexican live like this all the time!!!

tank_monkey
10-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Mexican live like this all the time!!!

OMG! :laughingtohard:

Bad Yankee Dog! bad DOG!!!!!!!!!

:lmao3:

Mark Ducati
10-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Tank.... calling me a skeptic? Really? Whatever makes you think that? I never said I doubted it, I was just asking questions trying to understand how survival below ground for 9 weeks was possible in a 600sq ft room (again, this was the only info given on GMA this morning).

My comments were skeptical at all... I think inquisitive is a better word.